Thread: copy files from mac hd

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

copy files from mac hd

this is my situation. i have a macbook that wont boot. i want to copy the picture and music from the hd. i took the hd out and put it into my dell inspiron. i booted up with a live cd and im able to view the files. i can play the music. i just cant copy anything to my external hd. its telling me i dont have premissions. i tried to change that in the properties but it wont let me. does anyone have any suggestions? im still looking around but im not finding much. thanks

jim

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: copy files from mac hd

with synaptic, install mountmanager and tweak the devices and partitions settings as you need (system admin mountmanager)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fjsimpkins View Post
    this is my situation. i have a macbook that wont boot. i want to copy the picture and music from the hd. i took the hd out and put it into my dell inspiron. i booted up with a live cd and im able to view the files. i can play the music. i just cant copy anything to my external hd. its telling me i dont have premissions. i tried to change that in the properties but it wont let me. does anyone have any suggestions? im still looking around but im not finding much. thanks

jim
    Try this in Terminal: gksu "file manager" Where "file manager" is whatever you are using to access the files. It will give you root access. Don't use the quotes.
    HP s5710f, 2x AMD Athlon II 250 @ 3.2Ghz 3GB RAM 640GB HD
    Saline OS 1.6 2.6.32 AMD64 Xfce
    SolusOS Beta-1 3.0.0 solus kernel i686 Gnome 2.3
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin 3.2.0-15-generic

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    with synaptic, install mountmanager and tweak the devices and partitions settings as you need (system admin mountmanager)
    i tried this but im not really sure what to tweak and how to tweak it. ive tried formatting the external but im still not allowed to copy any files.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by bobcollard View Post
    Try this in Terminal: gksu "file manager" Where "file manager" is whatever you are using to access the files. It will give you root access. Don't use the quotes.
    thanks but its not giving me the permissions to access the mac hardrive? im still checking google and forums trying to find an answer.