Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Puppy Linux vs Lubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Puppy Linux vs Lubuntu

Puppy was fast, but tended to make it difficult to find useful info. I couldn't get it to install to my hard drive. I tried Lubuntu, and before some updates it was slow to boot up (getting applications going), but once it was going, it was a juggernaut on old hardware. Puppy was slow to boot, and pretty fast, but I preferred Xubuntu. Puppy would definitely be a good choice for children if you could get it to not run in root all the time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

You can now use ubuntu repositories in puppy.
    Sure you can, but it's never able to fetch all of the needed files

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Legendary_Bibo View Post
    Puppy was fast, but tended to make it difficult to find useful info.
    That's definitely true. It's something I left out of my earlier post, but one other potentially annoying thing about Puppy is the lack of documentation. You only get really basic info with the default install, and you really have to resort to the forums (which are pretty active) to get help.

But a more annoying thing for some users might be the lack of regular installed documentation for packages. One of the ways Puppy gets its size down is by omitting documentation for standard installs (and PET packages, etc.). That's a great benefit if you really need an OS that takes up 100 MB or less, but it's kind of annoying when you can't even ask for man pages at the command prompt for common commands....

All these things are trade-offs, though, so this policy may work for a lot of folks. Personally, I have to use my laptop occasionally in places where I'm not online, and the lack of documentation can get annoying.

Beans

Ubuntu, Linux Mint and Lubuntu all three failed to boot on my computer with the same error. Puppy Linux boots fine, reacts fast, has a nice user interface, is user friendly, and the coolest thing is: I didn't even have to install drivers for it. Everything immediately worked: sound, video, network adapter, and even my external harddrive, which only supports Windows XP, Vista en 7, works in Puppy Linux. And there is another very cool thing about Puppy Linux. Puppy Linux can boot from an USB flash drive. My computer has an old BIOS from 2003 and can't boot from an USB flash drive, but our computer downstairs can. I installed Puppy Linux on the USB flash drive, put it in the computer, I turned the computer on, Puppy Linux booted up, then I removed the USB flash drive, and Puppy still works! Well, THAT is amazing. Another good thing is: Puppy Linux has a EXE-installer which will allow you to install Puppy Linux within Windows.

All these things makes Puppy Linux far better than Lubuntu, because Lubuntu can't even boot on every computer!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123