Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Install from USB drive

Beans

Re: Install from USB drive

Hi, Dan

Thanks for the reply.

1. Yes. I have checked that I can boot from USB. In fact, it gives that syslinux error, so I know that it is using the usb.

2. I installed the regular Ubunutu install on the netbooks and that is also what I am trying on the desktop.

3. I don't have a live CD to try.

4. I installed an additional hard drive to install Ubuntu on. I was afraid to mess with the drive that has Windows right now.

I see "Startup Disk Creator" but not "USB Startup Disk Creator" under administration. Is that what you mean?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by jwarreniii View Post
    Hi, Dan

Thanks for the reply.

1. Yes. I have checked that I can boot from USB. In fact, it gives that syslinux error, so I know that it is using the usb.

2. I installed the regular Ubunutu install on the netbooks and that is also what I am trying on the desktop.

3. I don't have a live CD to try.

4. I installed an additional hard drive to install Ubuntu on. I was afraid to mess with the drive that has Windows right now.

I see "Startup Disk Creator" but not "USB Startup Disk Creator" under administration. Is that what you mean?
    yes I think so sorry I'm not using Ubuntu right now so I can't check

so yeah try that
    you might need to have a Ubuntu live CD ISO on the computer your making the live USB drive on

Good luck
    Dan

Beans

That worked like a champ. Thank you very much.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by jwarreniii View Post
    That worked like a champ. Thank you very much.
    That's great!

You should mark this Thread as solved you do that my clicking on Thread Tools at the top of the page and selecting solved which should be at the bottom.

I hope you like Ubuntu
    Dan

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bondo101 View Post
    Does the net book's bios use usb's as boot options? Usb's are a little trickey, Re check what you loaded on the usb drive .it might matter what kind of Usb drive you are using, brand I mean there not all the same . Scandisk's usb's some time don't work because they have their own filing system built in. might con fuse the booting process.
    OMG I love you!
    I have been trying to install 10.04 netbook edition on my Aspire One (came with Linpus Lite which i hated) for 2 straight days, then i came to this forum and saw your reply about trying a different usb stick, turns out that was the problem all along! I changed from a 2GB HP Flash drive to a Sahara one and Voila! worked like magic.
    I'm falling in love with my One all over again , registered just to thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm running into a very similar problem. I've actually got two different USB keys of different makes (one with 10.04 Desktop and one with 10.04 Netbook Remix) that are proven to work in 5 other computers. I've been getting the exact same "no default or UI configuration directive found" with both keys on one unit that I'm trying to get Ubuntu on. I also followed the directions to create the USB key from within Ubuntu. When I boot with that key, I get this message:
    Code:
    SYSLINUX 3.63 Debian-2008-07-15 CBIOS Copyright (C) 1994-2008 H. Peter Anvin
    boot:
    When I hit enter, it says: "could not find kernel image: linux"

So apparently, it's a similar error no matter how the USB booter is created. Any ideas? Since the USB keys have always worked well, I've never bothered to make an actual CD. I guess I'll try that, but I'd also really like to figure out why the heck the USB keys won't work with this one particularly stubborn unit.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well, the CD worked. I'm still quite confused about why the USB drives wouldn't work. Maybe the BIOS on the fairly old unit is just persnickety. Oh well...

Beans

just rename folder on flash drive: isolinux -> syslinux,
    this help me)

Beans

I also needed to rename the isolinux.bin and isolinux.cfg files in the syslinux folder to syslinux.bin and syslinux.cfg and then it works.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have been using Ubuntu on and off for a few years (but I'm still like a noob haha) I finally decided to register so I can thank everyone for help with this problem. I have never had any issues running ubuntu from usb until recently. I decided to download a fresh version thinking mine may have been corrupt. I was able to boot after using the advise from alord and iDonkey, however, I'm still having some issues. It seems as though persistence isn't working? I noticed the version is now 10.4.1 LTS? I made the USB drive using the universal method from pendrivelinux and I used a 2gb casper. I downloaded updates and restarted and nothing was saved. I have always made the USB drive the same way and everything has always saved automatically. The only difference that I see is the 10.4.1 vs. 10.4. Any ideas what I can do? Thanks!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast