Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: FlashVideoReplacer: replace flash video player with mplayer plugin (low CPU usage)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: FlashVideoReplacer: replace flash video player with mplayer plugin (low CPU usage

Quote Originally Posted by crienoloog View Post
    IS there a Chrome variant as well?
    No. Not sure if would be possible to do that in Chrome, since extensions are limited in functionality. Anyway, I have decided to support only Firefox for now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: FlashVideoReplacer: replace flash video player with mplayer plugin (low CPU usage

Obrigado...
    to bad, I'll have to stick to Flash then.

Beans

Both gnash and swfdec can be configured to not autoplay flash so Flashblock is not necessary when using them. I recommend swfdec (swfdec-mozilla in synaptic) as my testing today indicated it still works better than gnash despite being unmaintained.

While installing swfdec-mozilla also install gecko-mediaplayer (plugin for mplayer) and remove the package totem-mozilla. gecko-mediaplayer offers better functionality in the form of: buffer progress info, seeking (jumping to different times in the video), replay, and can be configured to buffer less before starting playback.

swfdec-mozilla configuration: right click on flash object (not on the 3 supported video sites as the flash object is replaced by gecko-mediaplayer) go to "Autoplay" option and select "Never".

gecko-mediaplayer configuration: in Gnome MPlayer (now under Sound & Video in Gnome menu) select Edit > Preferences; or edit preferences via right clicking the embedded object. Lower the time spent buffering before starting playback via first the "Plugin" tab and changing the "Cache Size" to 544. You have to use the arrows (doesnt allow input from typing) to go down to 32 and then up to 544. Note due to a bug the 32 value doesnt work as well as 544, and the numbers before going all the way down to 32 are invalid. Of course raise this value if you want video to buffer longer (slow connection), but don't modify cache values on other tabs as those relate to max memory allowed for mplayer (disabled by default) rather than amount of video data to download before playing.

Pretty quick and easy, but dont expect any other video sites to work with swfdec, though the one game I tried did work (desktop tower defense).

Beans
    Distro

FlashVideoReplacer 1.0.1 released!

This is a maintenance version that addresses a problem with plugin selection. The previous version was using x-mplyer2 mime type, that defaults to Windows Media Player plugin, thus not allowing some Quicktime users to view the videos properly (only affects Windows users).

The new preferences dialog allows to select which mime type to be used and consequently the plugin. Additionally the extension now defaults to Quicktime, instead of WMP. Although Windows Media Player is still supported, it only works with additional codecs to allow mp4 decoding.

Linux users can now use gecko mediaplayer, gxine, kaffeine, mozplugger, totem and xine plugins.

This version does not support additional web sites because that issue with plugins was a priority and I wanted to make it available as soon as possible. Nevertheless, I have received many requests for new web sites support and will be implementing a few soon.

It will take a couple of days before Mozilla can review this version and approved it, but you can download it right now from the Stable Channel on the extension web site.

See Changelog for details.

Beans
    Distro

FlashVideoReplacer version 1.0.2 has been released today and is available for download through the Stable Channel. It will be available at Mozilla site as soon it gets reviewed by Mozilla editors.

This version adds compatibility with Firefox 4.0b3pre.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Is anyone having problems using this with YouTube? The gecko-mediaplayer does show up on screen but it does not load the video, this seems to have happened within the last few days (even before v1.02).

I've tested it with Vimeo, and the addon works on that site.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by swong View Post
    Is anyone having problems using this with YouTube? The gecko-mediaplayer does show up on screen but it does not load the video, this seems to have happened within the last few days (even before v1.02).

I've tested it with Vimeo, and the addon works on that site.
    You are correct. It seems YouTube changed the code of their pages, so I will need to update the extension. Please stay tuned.

Beans
    Distro

FlashVideoReplacer version 1.0.3 has been released today and is available for download through the Stable Channel. It will be available at Mozilla site as soon it gets reviewed by Mozilla editors.

This version fixes changes introduced on YouTube on July 22nd, which prevented videos from loading.

http://flvideoreplacer-extension.blogspot.com
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...1869/versions/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Bravo for such great plugin, can't wait for the facebook support !
    I'll try to help with bug tracking.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SEBASTIANFFX View Post
    Bravo for such great plugin, can't wait for the facebook support !
    I'll try to help with bug tracking.
    Thanks.

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast