Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recomendation for new Phone to use with Ubuntu?

Beans

Re: Recomendation for new Phone to use with Ubuntu?

i used to make fun of people who seemed attached to their cellphones. now that i have a droid, i'm one of the worst offenders.
    thank you, dan henderson.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by xcrunner78 View Post
    +1 to Matthewthegreat, abhibharti, and gnomeuser for phone uses, and +1 to McRat for heads up on AT&T. But I need to know compatibility with my Ubuntu 10.04 OS. Do I have to boot up Vitural Box and have a special program to download songs for the music player? What about the apps with the Droid? What version of the Droid would you recommend? I heard that they have one out the flips up and has a terminal screen. The only things that I am turned off by is no roll-over minutes with Verizon! Does Motorola or HTC update the phone at all like Apple updates the iPhone?
    Not really sure since I sync with a MacBook, but I believe this will do what you want:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/apps-for...r-sharing.html

This should allow you to load songs or other files into your phone regardless of your O/S. I will test it this week and see what it does.

All these devices are 802.11g/n wireless network devices. The communication system is not O/S dependent, that is unless your 10.04 Ubuntu can't go wireless, which is common problem it appears.
    Last edited by McRat; May 18th, 2010 at 06:40 PM.
    Patrick McSwain - New 32bit & 64bit Ubuntu 10.04 user as of 5/1/2010.
    Networking new Linux computers into my existing Wintel-based small technical business.
    I was a DOS programmer in a previous life. No UNIX/Linux experience at all.

Beans
    Hidden!

I plan on getting an Android based phone when I need a new one. When my current one breaks will be that time.

Might be some time, as I currently just use it for reading eBooks, as a Camera and as a phone..nothing else

Current phone is a HTC Vox, a windows mobile 6.1 based phone hehe, it's pretty basic but works for me...but I am so tempted by Android...
    I am Dyslexic of Borg, resemblance is fertile. Your (insert censored word here) will be laminated!
    Registered Linux user #155941

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm looking to get an android phone too. Just how well do they work with linux? Can you sync music or backup pictures? Even if it just shows up as a flash drive I would be happy. I have a windows mobile phone right now, and that is a PITA as far as linux goes.
    Don't Panic!
    Practice safe text. Never run a command unless you know exactly what it is going to do.
    Ubuntu User #1132
    Linux User #417929

Beans
    Hidden!

Happy with my Nexus One (ATT compatible version)...I would suggest to wait until the HTC EVO is available through Sprint June 4, 2010.

The Motorola Droid and the HTC Incredible are also nice phones.

The great thing is it's a great time to be in the market for an Android phone. Android phones are outselling iPhones for very good reasons.
    "Mind what you have learned. Save you it can." ~ Yoda

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Incense View Post
    I'm looking to get an android phone too. Just how well do they work with linux? Can you sync music or backup pictures? Even if it just shows up as a flash drive I would be happy. I have a windows mobile phone right now, and that is a PITA as far as linux goes.
    Android phones don't sync with PCs, they sync with your Google account in the cloud. It's all done over the air, including OS updates. They show up as removable storage when you plug them in, just drag and drop to add media to the device, you don't even need to worry about putting things in the right folder.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    Android phones don't sync with PCs, they sync with your Google account in the cloud. It's all done over the air, including OS updates. They show up as removable storage when you plug them in, just drag and drop to add media to the device, you don't even need to worry about putting things in the right folder.
    +1. OPs questions are answered!
    Reality is an illusion that occurs due to lack of alcohol.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

+1 to every reply. It has been very helpful!!! Now the decision to get either the Motorola or the HTC Incredible.

So since they sync with the Google account in the cloud, I wonder if there is a way to get store more music, etc. in that cloud? Or is the cloud only for contacts and e-mail?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by xcrunner78 View Post
    So since they sync with the Google account in the cloud, I wonder if there is a way to get store more music, etc. in that cloud? Or is the cloud only for contacts and e-mail?
    Your music lives on the SD card, although apps like Spotify are available in the Android Market (you'll need to be a subscriber to use it though...)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

+1 to Paqman for your knowledge awesomeness!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast