Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you OCD over your music storage?

Beans

Are you OCD over your music storage?

I have a lot of music on my computer. And I made the decision since I'm going to be using Rhythmbox from now on that I will redo all ID tags system-wise across every single music file I have for the sake of keeping my music organized in a fashion that is quick and easy to navigate.

To start, I am wiping all ID tags. Then I am going to add the artist in to each song. This won't be too hard since I can just highlight all Pearl Jam songs and tag the artist, highlight all Metallica songs and tag the artist, etc.

However, I have a feeling I may be adding each song title to the ID tags eventually. Gah. The headaches. I can feel it now. Is anybody else like this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Are you OCD over your music storage?

I faced the same problem one day. I recommend you to use mpd with gmpc. Trust me, you'll like it.
    IBM Lenovo Thinkpad R500: Ubuntu 10.10 (KDE) x86 & Windows 7

Beans

If you have your music structured in some kind of systematic way eg "Metallica/Master of Puppets/07 - Orion.mp3" you can write a script to set the tags automatically. That's what I did anyway. If setting other tags like year and genre and so on are important, that will take a bit more work...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Screenshot.jpg

I have nearly 25,000 tracks.

I`d like to be all OCD about them. I am about my actual vinyl and cds, they are all in alphabetical artist \ chronological order.

But I think I would have died before the mess that is my digital music collection was sorted.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Roasted View Post
    I have a lot of music on my computer. And I made the decision since I'm going to be using Rhythmbox from now on that I will redo all ID tags system-wise across every single music file I have for the sake of keeping my music organized in a fashion that is quick and easy to navigate.

To start, I am wiping all ID tags. Then I am going to add the artist in to each song. This won't be too hard since I can just highlight all Pearl Jam songs and tag the artist, highlight all Metallica songs and tag the artist, etc.

However, I have a feeling I may be adding each song title to the ID tags eventually. Gah. The headaches. I can feel it now. Is anybody else like this?
    Musicbrainz Picard?

http://musicbrainz.org/doc/MusicBrainz_Picard
    WARNING: "sudo rm -rf /" = BAD Read this for more information.
    Q6600-Abit IP35-2 GB RAM-250GTS 1GB

*Docky FTW!*

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I certainly am! Since there are a million music players out there and none that does all I want (isn't that always the case?), I decided to stick to the one that comes closest (XBMC) and migrate my music library over. I'm making sure that any information is stored in both the filename/path and tags, and that formats of both are consistent. This would allow me to easily change things in the future, for example when multiple value tags become better supported in players (right now I have multiple artists / genres in a single value using a separator such as " / ", which XBMC handles well).

Beans

Yes, I have strict standards to my music. 16-bit 44.1khz flac, correct tags, correct folder layouts.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Very OCD about my music. Digitally sorted with tags + correct folder hierarchy. CDs sorted by style of music and I try to keep them alphabetically sorted. Same with books.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

nada...
    Last edited by MindSz; May 17th, 2010 at 10:29 PM. Reason: got posted twice for some reason

Beans

As soon as I download an album, I look over the ID tags to make sure they're correct and capitalized. Then I save the tracks as "track number - song title.mp3"
    The moon will illuminate my room and soon I'm consumed by my doom.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast