Thread: Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Desktop Version too heavy for my netbook?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Desktop Version too heavy for my netbook?

I just installed Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx Desktop Version on my netbook (Zyrex Bee - an Indonesia Brand- spec: Intel Atom N270 1.6GHz, 1 GB RAM and 160 HD). It installed just fine and all functioned well (except the Fn-Key).
    But I feel Ubuntu is very heavy for this netbook, all becoming slow and my netbook heat up very easily. I've checked all in the process monitor and didn't find anything suspicious.
    I wonder should I uninstall it and install Netbook Remix version instead? Does it have any effect on performance?
    Or is there any tips and tricks to make Lucid lighter?

Thank you very much...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Desktop Version too heavy for my netbook?

Since you just installed, and installing is pretty quick and painless, then yes. I would recommend you try UNR. It's not a huge amount lighter, but it's certainly enough lighter to feel the difference. More importantly, the interface is much better suited to the small screen size of a netbook, which improves the overall feel quite a bit.

As far as making it lighter, there are a ton of how-to's floating around on the topic. You can make a big difference just by going into preferences and the "Startup Application" program, and disabling anything you don't use. For instance, there's no reason for the update manager to run on every boot if you're diligent about checking manually once in a while.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Desktop Version too heavy for my netbook?

VeeDubb:
    Thanks... I disabled unused applications on my startup programs list. It seems like the ubuntu is lighter now.
    I've searched some tips on lightening ubuntu but can't seem to find the specific threads on intel atom.Can you referenced me some?

Thanks