Thread: how to install webcam in ubuntu 10.04 on Dell XPS 1530 laptop

Beans

how to install webcam in ubuntu 10.04 on Dell XPS 1530 laptop

I just install ubuntu 10.04 on Dell XPS 1530 laptop. I am not sure how to install built in webcam. I search in Dell website but I did not find anything. Please help me to install the webcam. Thank you in advance for solutions.

Beans

Re: how to install webcam in ubuntu 10.04 on Dell XPS 1530 laptop

under sound & video cheese webcam booth should be installed
    try the cam in it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Talking Re: how to install webcam in ubuntu 10.04 on Dell XPS 1530 laptop

Are they ANYTHING you guys DON"T know how to do ?!!!
    Awesome EVERYTIME !!!

Beans

levatator
    glad it helped you

Beans

To install camera on ubuntu just go to applications section on desktop menu, then go to ubuntu software centre. in software center go to sound and video then in search box type guvcview and then click install it will take hardly 5 minutes. now your camera is ready to run.

Beans

maybe you guys can help me. I have ubuntu 10.04, i have cheese and skype installed.

my webcam (logitech c500) works with both skype & cheese however, it fails to work with firefox...is there an explanation for this?

i have searched for hours and hours on the internet, and this is day 3 of searching...yeah i need the webcam that bad. Any help will be much appreciated.

thanks in advance

-Christian

Beans

I have the same problem, try to install cheese and guvcuview but notthings change.. it say that there isn't driver installed... (or they are not correctly installed)...

any suggest?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Chogsed10 View Post
    maybe you guys can help me. I have ubuntu 10.04, i have cheese and skype installed.

my webcam (logitech c500) works with both skype & cheese however, it fails to work with firefox...is there an explanation for this?

i have searched for hours and hours on the internet, and this is day 3 of searching...yeah i need the webcam that bad. Any help will be much appreciated.

thanks in advance

-Christian
    yah the problem is firefox sucks giant balls just like every other mozilla product. get chromium

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Chogsed10 View Post

thanks in advance

-Christian
    What error exactly you are getting? Is it showing any black image or what?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.