Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Can't print PDF files - Help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Can't print PDF files - Help

Quote Originally Posted by cloyd View Post
    Just to add a little information . . . which may or may not be relevant. A short while back, my new HP Photosmart plus simply quit printing PDF's from evince. It had been printing them, but it just stopped. In fact, it quit printing anything from evince. I switched to Adobe reader, and it everything works fine. I hated to go to a proprietary program, but it worked. I haven't tried to print more than a few pages, though. I do have to say that PDF's frequently are displayed much better in Adobe Reader than evince.
    It won't print with evince

It won't print with Acroread

It won't print with lpr -H localhost filename.pdf
    Mac Pro 5,1 6-Core 3.33GHz, 48GB, Sapphire RX580
    Optical -- Apple Super Drive & MCE Internal Blu-ray
    512GB SM 970 Pro NVMe/HighPoint 7101A/10.14.5
    SonnetAllegro Pro USB 3/ 4TB WD/4TB - Barracuda

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by crjackson View Post
    It won't print with evince

It won't print with Acroread

It won't print with lpr -H localhost filename.pdf

Yeah, I hear. I didn't think I had a solution for you, just thought that the information may be relevant. I don't want to distract you or hijack the thread.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cloyd View Post
    Yeah, I hear. I didn't think I had a solution for you, just thought that the information may be relevant. I don't want to distract you or hijack the thread.
    No problem and thanks for the information.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ok. I have been playing around with printing pdf's from Adobe reader to the Canon printer I mentioned up thread. It turns out that I have fixed my problem of pathetic print speed just by changing drivers. The printer is a C2550i but I noticed the driver in use was C2570i. There was no driver available for C2550i but there is a C2550. I tried the postscript version of this driver and the printer is now printing pdf's correctly at full speed. This doesn't help the OP but maybe it does confirm that it is a print driver issue rather than anything wrong with Adobe Reader itself (apart from the fact that it is horribly bloated piece of software ).

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by alphacrucis2 View Post
    Ok. I have been playing around with printing pdf's from Adobe reader to the Canon printer I mentioned up thread. It turns out that I have fixed my problem of pathetic print speed just by changing drivers. The printer is a C2550i but I noticed the driver in use was C2570i. There was no driver available for C2550i but there is a C2550. I tried the postscript version of this driver and the printer is now printing pdf's correctly at full speed. This doesn't help the OP but maybe it does confirm that it is a print driver issue rather than anything wrong with Adobe Reader itself (apart from the fact that it is horribly bloated piece of software ).
    Thanks for the info. I've already eliminated all external software by printing directly to the printer with terminal commands.

The problem is in CUPS or the driver it's self. A few posts back you will see a link to my bug report. If you get a chance to read the report you will see that one of the CUPS developers are working with me to find a solution.
    Last edited by crjackson; May 27th, 2010 at 03:39 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Okay, so here's an update. It is a bug after all. It has to do with PDF files that contain JPG images. Images that are PNG and other work just fine, but if the embeded image is a PDF it doesn't expand it properly or some such. A fix is on the way, however it may not get here until Maverick if I'm understanding the chatter between the developers.

This message was for me from the developer that was assisting.

Till Kamppeter wrote 30 minutes ago: #16

crjackson, no more information is needed. Looks like that Cairo and Poppler need to get updated. See comment #119 in bug 419143.

Beans

I know this thread is a bit old, but the problem was not fixed on 10.04.
    I'm running 10.04 and still can't print some pdf (I assume that this have JPG images, but I don't know how to check that)
    Cheers,
    (BUMP)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345