Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nautilus does not respect GTK theme set in Appearance

Beans

Question Nautilus does not respect GTK theme set in Appearance

I have recently experienced an odd issue regarding Nautilus and the GTK theming. No matter what theme is set in the "Appearance" dialog, Nautilus shows the bland default GTK theme with the title bars of the theme set in Appearance.

I think this is related to an error regarding GConf I saw once, but never again. It flashed so quickly on shutdown that I did not have time to note down what it says. This issue effects the desktop as well. Any ideas? Rebooting doesn't fix it and beyond that, I have no clue where to start for an issue like this.
    Eric

Beans

Re: Nautilus does not respect GTK theme set in Appearance

Quote Originally Posted by guitarMan666 View Post
    I have recently experienced an odd issue regarding Nautilus and the GTK theming. No matter what theme is set in the "Appearance" dialog, Nautilus shows the bland default GTK theme with the title bars of the theme set in Appearance.

I think this is related to an error regarding GConf I saw once, but never again. It flashed so quickly on shutdown that I did not have time to note down what it says. This issue effects the desktop as well. Any ideas? Rebooting doesn't fix it and beyond that, I have no clue where to start for an issue like this.
    Funnily enough. I'm having the exact same problem. This problem started happening after a crash that I experienced last night.

If anyone has any ideas on how to fix it, I would be most grateful. Thanks!

Beans

I've got this problem too, a search led me to this:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...us/+bug/500417

Post 22 seems to have a fix, but I'm too new to know how to do it...

I guessed it might be in the root folder, so used terminal to launch Nautilus with sudo, and it loaded with the theme....

I can't find that thing to delete like in the post though

Beans

The fix is actually very simple. It involves removing a folder. The simplest way to accomplish this is to open a terminal and run the following:
    Code:
    rm -vr ~/.gconf/apps/nautilus && killall nautilus
    This command removes the directory /home/yourname/.gconf/nautilus and the files in it giving you written confirmation, and kills the nautilus process IF the delete is successful.

You may find this solution more comfortable as a beginner:
    Code:
    rm -vr ~/.gconf/apps/nautilus && sudo reboot
    Which reboots instead of merely killing the process. This may save any abnormalities that might occur from killing nautilus (like missing desktop icons).

EDIT: First command works flawlessly. No abnormal effects or anything.
    Last edited by guitarMan666; May 16th, 2010 at 05:36 AM. Reason: Updating info
    Eric

Beans

awesome, thankyou! It worked

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by guitarMan666 View Post
    The fix is actually very simple. It involves removing a folder. The simplest way to accomplish this is to open a terminal and run the following:
    Code:
    rm -vr ~/.gconf/apps/nautilus && killall nautilus
    This command removes the directory /home/yourname/.gconf/nautilus and the files in it giving you written confirmation, and kills the nautilus process IF the delete is successful.

You may find this solution more comfortable as a beginner:
    Code:
    rm -vr ~/.gconf/apps/nautilus && sudo reboot
    Which reboots instead of merely killing the process. This may save any abnormalities that might occur from killing nautilus (like missing desktop icons).

EDIT: First command works flawlessly. No abnormal effects or anything.
    Thank you! Worked for me as well!

Beans

Ok, maybe it didn't work... it keeps going back to the rubbish theme, and it makes noises when it does it! Clicking things makes a noise, it's gets very irritating.
    It works if I do the above, but goes back when I restart.

Beans

*bump*

No one got any ideas?
    This is starting to get annoying now, and I don't want to do an complete reinstall just for a theme problem.

Beans

Check if you have a file named gnome-settings-daemon.desktop in your /home/username/.config/autostart folder. If you find it there, just delete it (or, if you don't feel like, just try moving it to another location) and reboot. That solved the problem with me.
    Last edited by muschiosauro; June 22nd, 2010 at 12:49 AM.

Beans

Thanks for the reply, but I don't have that file.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast