Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Marvin Computers Site Launch - Ubuntu Systems :D

Beans

Re: Marvin Computers Site Launch - Ubuntu Systems :D

looks good!

since you have a 'software' section, have you considered including cross-platform games for sale?

maybe a CD or DVD full of .debs for a bunch of Free Software and/or Freeware games for £20.00?
    Semper Fi

My Non-Ubuntu Blog.
    All posts by me are Public Domain.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by cprofitt View Post
    looks good... You may want to offer a drop down that handles price conversion.
    +1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi Guys, thanks for the feedback. Sorry for the delay - for some reason I stopped getting notifications of the updates.

Yes, DarkMatter has been tested on Ubuntu. The basics work, including 3D acceleration, but I have not done game testing on Linux I'm afraid, mainly because it's targeted at Windows users. I am writing this on a DarkMatter right now I hope to provide some more detailed testing in the near future.

I am looking into providing a drop down to do currency conversion - I'm afraid we won't be able to accept payments in other currencies in the near future, although we may be able to display the prices in your local currency, as per the drop down suggestion. XE.com is a good place to do the conversion in the meantime.

How do you feel about the systems so far? Are there any problems you can see? Would you prefer some budget systems too? I am interested in some feedback from the community.

I emailed Jono Bacon, the Ubuntu Community manager to ask for suggestions in promotion, and he suggested prizes. So, prizes it is!

If someone can come up with a new model which they think will be popular, and I can sell at least one of them, I will give you a 2TB hard disk as a thank you present!

How does that sound? It's a gentleman's agreement for the moment, but maybe I'll be able to put something more detailed on the website soon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Nice use of Lian-Li cases.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks, LowSky.

Just to give you all a bit more reason to purchase from us, we're having a big promotion this weekend - 20% off your total order until Monday. So have a look and see if there's anything you are after

Just enter the code MARVINWEEKEND at the checkout, to apply the discount.

thanks!

Chris

Beans

I'm looking to purchase a new computer sometime in the near future (say in between 6-10 months) so have bookmarked your site.

I especially like the bundled kit you have suggested such as the Sysadmin kit where one can get two monitors, keyboard, mouse, desk mount in one go - a nice touch.

Might get the budget PC (Intel) but one question - is the graphics in those budget system upgradable or intenal only?

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Doesn't look bad mate. And UI see you're located in Nottingham - not far from myself atm.

Good luck to you.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by disciple3d View Post
    If someone can come up with a new model which they think will be popular, and I can sell at least one of them, I will give you a 2TB hard disk as a thank you present!

How does that sound? It's a gentleman's agreement for the moment, but maybe I'll be able to put something more detailed on the website soon
    You pretty much cover the range, however when I was looking at your systems, I was looking at the Marvin Graviton as the Dark Matter is a bit too expensive for me . One problem with it was that I did not see an option to upgrade the graphics (aka an budget gaming system)

So I suggest a budget gaming system - ie something with an i5 and a cheap decent gaming card and the option to take a single monitor too perhaps. This wouldn't be as expensive as the Dark Matter but would still make a decent gaming system on a budget. "Almost Dark Matter" if you like

Cheers

Beans
    Hidden!

I can't really comment on the prices since I live in a different part of the world now, but your range seems well spread out and your components seem more than decent enough for serious computing.

I like your choice/taste in casings in particular.

Here's wishing you the best of luck with your business. Remember to drop in and say hi once you're a big player, ya hear!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi Guys,

JGJones: Thanks for your interest - yep, the graphics are upgradeable, it's a 16X PCI-Express card.

As for the budget gaming system, I'll have a look at that. It would probably be a different model name, because the Graviton is really designed as a Linux system, and the gaming systems really need to be Windows ones at the moment.

I hope to provide decent Linux focussed gaming systems in the future, but the problems are many and onerous at the moment!

That being said, I'd be happy to do you a custom system with a better graphics card, based around the Graviton, if that's what you're after. Just let me know if you'd like, and I can send you a quote

I am also looking at the best way to provide netbooks and laptops in the future. This is a difficult market for new players. The shuttle SGA platform looks promising, but they have exclusive deals with Dixons on several of the models, despite claiming to be an 'open' platform.

Still, I think I can source some unbranded laptops, it's just finding ones that meet my exacting standards that's the trouble!

thanks,

Chris

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast