Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: netatalk and avahi-daemon problems - services not advertising

Beans

Re: netatalk and avahi-daemon problems - services not advertising

Quote Originally Posted by setlursh View Post
    I'm having the same problem. For me, it began when I started sharing via samba as well. A reply to comment #616 here seems to indicate that the problem exists because netatalk is being started after avahi-daemon. I still haven't been able to figure out how to change the service start order, since avahi-daemon seems to now be an upstart job, and does not have symlinks in the rc*.d directories.
    Were you ever able to figure this out? Seems odd that controlling the timing of UpStart jobs is such an obscure subject but I can't find anything about it.

My syslog clearly shows avahi-daemon starting before afpd/netatalk which requires me to restart avahi-daemon to get it right.

Any late news on this?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoSeahawk View Post
    Were you ever able to figure this out? Seems odd that controlling the timing of UpStart jobs is such an obscure subject but I can't find anything about it.

My syslog clearly shows avahi-daemon starting before afpd/netatalk which requires me to restart avahi-daemon to get it right.

Any late news on this?
    For what it's worth, I have this problem too, and I've filed a bug. No solution yet, though.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...hi/+bug/624043

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wch View Post
    For what it's worth, I have this problem too, and I've filed a bug. No solution yet, though.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...hi/+bug/624043
    I think there are a couple of issues at work here. I don't always see avahi start before netatalk/afpd, sometimes it's reversed. To me this reflects the problem of not being able to synchronize the starting of the two daemons.

The other issue is that I think avahi-daemon is just having problems launching. When the problem occurs, the system logs only have about 3 lines for avahi. When it launches correctly there are more like 10-15 lines of output in the system logs.

For the heck of it, I added a call to: /sbin/restart avahi-daemon in rc.local. This only seems to address the problem some times which tells me there is something amiss with avahi-daemon during startup.

Thanks for filing the bug. Hopefully it gets fixed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Exclamation Re: netatalk and avahi-daemon problems - services not advertising

Hi fr33loder,
    I am having the exact same problem that you did. On 10.04, I downloaded and installed netatalk, and the avahi daemon and installed them. I just followed the prompts. Then I set it all up to share a folder on the network with afp. The strange part is that I can manually log in to the Ubuntu afp share from my iMac, by going to "go to server" and typing in the ip 10.0.1.3, and putting in the ubuntu username and pw, and it logs in fine. But avahi is not broadcasting at all? I even try to issue the $ sudo /etc/init.d/avahi-daemon restart or $ sudo service avahi-daemon restart, but it won't broadcast even when I restart it? Like I said, netatalk is working because I can log into the afp share from my iMac on the network with no problems, but the afp share isn't being advertised with avahi at all. I checked in the syslog and it says this: (only the last few lines)

Sep 6 19:25:09 ubuntu10-desktop afpd[1630]: server_child[1] 1703 done
    Sep 6 19:25:09 ubuntu10-desktop afpd[1696]: Setting uid/gid to 0/0
    Sep 6 19:25:21 ubuntu10-desktop afpd[1705]: ASIP session:548(4) from 10.0.1.2:62331(7)
    Sep 6 19:25:21 ubuntu10-desktop afpd[1630]: server_child[1] 1705 done
    Sep 6 19:25:21 ubuntu10-desktop afpd[1696]: Setting uid/gid to 0/0
    Sep 6 19:26:03 ubuntu10-desktop afpd[1706]: ASIP session:548(4) from 10.0.1.2:62334(7)
    Sep 6 19:26:03 ubuntu10-desktop afpd[1630]: server_child[1] 1706 done
    Sep 6 19:26:03 ubuntu10-desktop afpd[1696]: Setting uid/gid to 0/0
    Sep 6 19:26:05 ubuntu10-desktop afpd[1696]: Setting uid/gid to 0/0
    Sep 6 19:26:05 ubuntu10-desktop afpd[1696]: ipc_write: command: 2, pid: 1696, msglen: 24
    Sep 6 19:26:05 ubuntu10-desktop afpd[1630]: ipc_read: command: 2, pid: 1696, len: 24
    Sep 6 19:26:05 ubuntu10-desktop afpd[1630]: Setting clientid (len 16) for 1696, boottime 4C76E90C
    Sep 6 19:26:05 ubuntu10-desktop afpd[1630]: ipc_get_session: len: 24, idlen 16, time 4c76e90c
    Sep 6 19:26:08 ubuntu10-desktop afpd[1707]: ASIP session:548(4) from 10.0.1.2:62336(7)
    Sep 6 19:26:08 ubuntu10-desktop afpd[1630]: server_child[1] 1707 done
    Ubuntu 11.10
    Learning Linux and Loving it...

Beans

This issue is causing grief here. full details posted at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...3?comments=all

But the short of it is avahi-daemon fails to advertise apple filesharing after a reboot but works perfectly after manually restarting the service. no issues with local domains here. please post a solution.

Thanks!

Beans

The problem is created apparently by your ISP.

Workaround proposed in launchpad:

edit with gedit the following file:

/etc/default/avahi-daemon

Change

"AVAHI_DAEMON_DETECT_LOCAL=1"

to

"AVAHI_DAEMON_DETECT_LOCAL=0"

Save and close, restart.

This was proposed by someone in launchpad, I'm to lazy to look it up, there are many bug reports associated with avahi .local failure to load automatically (actually it loads and then it's closed automatically releasing a message.. something like that..)

Cheers..

Alejandro
    Buenos Aires
    Argentina

Beans

I've had this problem for a while and I haven't been able to fix it properly either. I did however, apply a dirty fix.

To /etc/rc.local i added:
    Code:
    sh /path/to/bash/script.sh
    script.sh:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash

# Dirty but woking solution to make avahi/netatalk announce properly

service avahi-daemon stop
    service netatalk stop
    service netatalk start
    service avahi-daemon start
    Not pretty but atleast my shares works and are announced properly on startup/reboot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12