Beans

Re: Absurdly slow printing

up

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Guys,

I am also having this exact same issue with Lucid and a Brother 2170w. The printer lights up but stays flashing. The printer status shows the que moving extremely slow.

I read somewhere that it might be a permissions issue. Im not sure how to diagnose it though. Wish there was a utility I could run.

Here is: -l /usr/lib/cups/backend/lpd

Code:
    -rwxr--r-- 2 root root 44056 2010-05-14 11:55 /usr/lib/cups/backend/lpd
    robert@robert-desktop:~$ sudo service cups restart
    Edit: Here are two errors I found in my cups error log at var/log/cups/error_log:

Code:
    E [01/Jun/2010:14:21:47 -0400] Unable to remove temporary file "/var/spool/cups/tmp/.hplip" - Is a directory
    E [01/Jun/2010:14:51:16 -0400] [cups-driverd] Bad driver information file "/usr/share/cups/drv/sample.drv"!
    Thanks.
    Last edited by killabee44; June 1st, 2010 at 08:01 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The problem with this might be a bad driver (based on the CUPS log).

I didn't have this problem with jaunty but that was 32bit. I just installed the 64 bit version of Lucid on this machine and started having this problem.

It looks like Brother does not have a proper 64bit driver for the HL-2170w. I went to their site and got the linux driver they have available for this printer and when I double click the .deb file get an error refusing to install because it was "i386".

I hope there is another driver available that will work or it's a different problem.

If anyone has any input, it would be welcome. Thanks.

Edit. Im gonna start my own thread. Should have done so instead of threadjacking!

Edit:

Ok, I finally have a fix thanks to johnny_vc...

It is really a workaround but it works so who cares.

I think this a bigger issue than just with that printer, I found a workaround solution which is to reinstall the printer using :

Device URL : socket://IP_of_the_printer:9100

Make and Model : Generic PCL 5e Printer Foomatic/gutenprint-ijs-simplified.5.0
    I did it through the CUPS web interface on Lucid 10.04 so it was slightly different.

1. Log on to the cups web interface: http://localhost:631/admin (for username and pw I used the sudo for this pc).

2. Select "Add Printer"
    3. From "Other Network Printers:" I selected: LPD/LPR Host or Printer
    4. under "Connection" put in: socket://IP_of_the_printer:9100 (of course, substitute in the IP of your printer)
    5. Name, description, location: fill those out as you wish without spaces
    6. Sharing: I did not check this box.
    7. Make: Select Generic and click Continue
    8. Model: Generic PCL 5e Printer Foomatic/hpijs-pcl5e (recommended)
    (this model is the closest by name to what Johnny_vc told me to use. I figured mine is different because I'm using Lucid)
    9. Click "Add Printer" and you're done.

I hope this helps someone else. Good luck.
    Last edited by killabee44; June 2nd, 2010 at 07:18 PM. Reason: found fix..

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by killabee44 View Post
    The problem with this might be a bad driver (based on the CUPS log).

I didn't have this problem with jaunty but that was 32bit. I just installed the 64 bit version of Lucid on this machine and started having this problem.

It looks like Brother does not have a proper 64bit driver for the HL-2170w. I went to their site and got the linux driver they have available for this printer and when I double click the .deb file get an error refusing to install because it was "i386".

I hope there is another driver available that will work or it's a different problem.

Ok, I finally have a fix thanks to johnny_vc...

It is really a workaround but it works so who cares.

I did it through the CUPS web interface on Lucid 10.04 so it was slightly different.

1. Log on to the cups web interface: http://localhost:631/admin (for username and pw I used the sudo for this pc).

2. Select "Add Printer"
    3. From "Other Network Printers:" I selected: LPD/LPR Host or Printer
    4. under "Connection" put in: socket://IP_of_the_printer:9100 (of course, substitute in the IP of your printer)
    5. Name, description, location: fill those out as you wish without spaces
    6. Sharing: I did not check this box.
    7. Make: Select Generic and click Continue
    8. Model: Generic PCL 5e Printer Foomatic/hpijs-pcl5e (recommended)
    (this model is the closest by name to what Johnny_vc told me to use. I figured mine is different because I'm using Lucid)
    9. Click "Add Printer" and you're done.

I hope this helps someone else. Good luck.
    WOW! Mark this thread SOLVED!.

Installed the PCL 5e Foomatic driver per the above instructions, and saw the printer start to respond almost instantly, instead of hanging forever.

Note: You can't pick drivers when using the System->Administration->Printing menu. You must log into cups as described above.

Thanks.
    =D>
    Last edited by klausner; June 5th, 2010 at 03:52 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yeah, should be marked as solved. Im not the OP though. Moderator around?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Absurdly fast wonderful and sexy printing!

Thanks a bunch. Worked like a charm!

Beans

This generic driver worked great for my HP Officejet 6300 series:
    Generic PCL 6/PCL XL Printer Foomatic/hpijs-pcl5e

Beans

i, too, am experiencing extremely slow printing with 10.04 LTS (P4HT@3GHz, 2G RAM). i have an HP CP2025 color laserjet on ethernet.

i tried the "delete existing printer, log into CUPS via http, add printer, select generic, pcl5e..." thing outlined above, and it's still slow as hell (several minutes per page).

and the output looks bad compared to the same page printed from windows. i'm printing directions from google maps with firefox, with the map plus directions. the map is readable, but looks a bit crude compared to the same page printed from windows.

i don't print from ubuntu very often (the machine is mostly a RAID5 server), but it's in the kitchen so it can be handy when guests are over. my first ubuntu install was 9.04, and the machine has been updating itself since then. i don't remember having the problem with the older ubuntu.

any other suggestions?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12