Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Acer Aspire Timeline X 3820T

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Acer Aspire Timeline X 3820T

For those interested, I have been able to get Ubuntu working quite well on the Timeline 3820TG-3022. Basic usage was possible out of the box (Intel card only, no multitouch scrolling, no brightness control, broadcom WiFi drivers available in "Additional Drivers") but required a bit of tweaking. F

First off, as many people have found out, if you install the proprietary ATI drivers for the 5470 you'll be presented with a black screen on reboot. This is because the device uses switchable graphics - to fix this, go into your BIOS settings and switch "switchable" to "discrete" - essentially disabling the switchable feature as it is not yet supported in Ubuntu. Doing so should fix that problem and you should be rocking Warsow in no time. It's also important to note that I gained an additional hour or so in battery life after doing this. *However, the ATI driver isn't perfect - I'm unable to play any no-flash video with it enabled (audio still plays, video is black). Flash videos, such as Youtube, all play fine but avi's, ogv's, mpg's, and et cetera do not. This problem seems wide-spread so hopefully there will be a fix soon (maybe there already is - I haven't really looked into it too much).

It is possible to enable multitouch for the trackpad, and can be done quite simply through the install of a single deb: synaptics-dkms. Once installed, I just rebooted, went into System->Preferences->Mouse, enabled two-finger scrolling and everything worked as it was supposed to.

I've tried the webcam and microphone - both work under Cheese and Sound Recorder respectively. Bluetooth can be turned on by counter-intuitively pressing fn+F3 which doesn't actually seem to have anything to do with WiFi, despite how it's labeled (I have not yet tried to transfer files over Bluetooth, but the icon does appear in the indicator applet and tells me that Bluetooth has been "enabled").

Media keys work just fine, though I wish Acer had put the multimedia controls on the arrow keys rather than the brightness/volume controls - my previous laptop placed those on I think F7-F10 and, as there are four unused F keys, Acer could have done so with the Timeline as well. From what I see, though, this is what Acer normally does for those keys.

Lastly, and perhaps the most annoying thing about the notebook, is that the keyboard does not support more than three simultaneous key presses. What does that mean? It means when I'm playing Supertuxkart and I want to accelerate, turn, look back, and fire a bowling ball at Konqi I can't because the keyboard only inputs the first three keys I press. From a quick Google search, it seems this is the fault of the actual keyboard itself and, therefore, not fixable . Poop.

Beans

It is possible to enable multitouch for the trackpad, and can be done quite simply through the install of a single deb: synaptics-dkms. Once installed, I just rebooted, went into System->Preferences->Mouse, enabled two-finger scrolling and everything worked as it was supposed to.
    This solution is not working on Kernel 2.6.38-8-generic of Natty. You will get something like this Bug

Newer synaptics-dkms (1.1.0, 1.1.1) packages will not work either.

There is no fix for this because Kernel 2.6.38 already includes it.

But I still did not figure out how to get use of it. Touchpad is still detected as PS/2 Mouse. With psmouse.conf ->

Code:
    options psmouse proto=imps
    I got it partially to work.

Any suggestions?

Laptop: Acer Aspire TimelineX 3820 TG
    Ubuntu: latest Natty Narwhal x64

[Update]
    I also tested all possible combinations of Kernel boot options i8024.reset, i8024.nomux=1 and irqpoll as suggested in Ubuntu Wiki Touchpad. But I still get just a stupid generic PS2/Mouse detected.
    Last edited by datenraffzahn; April 18th, 2011 at 03:44 PM. Reason: further options checked

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

You have me concerned about upgrading now - I hadn't considered synaptics-dkms support in Natty until now. I'm not running 11.04 yet - I'm holding off for final release - but I'll definitely do some research. From looking at launchpad, the team seems quite active and has other projects in the works for Natty - hopefully they will update the package for 11.04. Just in case, I'll also look at alternative fixes.

Beans

Its not that bad.
    I upgrade because I wanted to try out GNOME 3.
    Its pretty awesome so far but this still unstable port gives me more headache than the touchpad.
    I didn't convince the multitouch trackpad to work on maverick anyway so I actually don't miss it.
    Nice if it works but its not a "must have".

I can tell the 3820TG works pretty well on natty.
    Nearly all of the advises in this thread still work or are obsolete.

Only things I adjusted :

- Turn off the AMD Graphics device
    - Touchpad (generic scrolling)
    - Brightness Control

anything else works out of the box

Only ath9k driver makes smaller problems though.
    It works but the data rates are quite low for a N-Draft WLAN Card (around 80KB/s).
    Its an official issue so there will be a patch out soon.

Anything else works fine.
    And with AMD Graphics turned off, the battery holds 6 Hours.
    Long enough to survive a college day

Beans

Only ath9k driver makes smaller problems though.
    It works but the data rates are quite low for a N-Draft WLAN Card (around 80KB/s).
    Its an official issue so there will be a patch out soon.
    Fortunately there's an easy workaround...

Create the following file:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/ath9.conf
    And add this line:
    Code:
    options ath9k nohwcrypt=1
    Then restart networking (or reboot) to initiate:
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
    More info on this Ubuntu Natty on the Acer 3820T wiki page.

Beans

Thanks that does the trick.

Just one problem, the trackpad, to go

Beans

Thanks that does the trick.
    Great!

Just one problem, the trackpad, to go
    I've activated two-finger scrolling (via "Mouse Preferences") and have found that the trackpad works pretty well under Natty. The one caveat is that your fingers need to be spaced apart in order to scroll smoothly (I often end up doing three-finger scrolling).

Beans

I've activated two-finger scrolling (via "Mouse Preferences") and have found that the trackpad works pretty well under Natty. The one caveat is that your fingers need to be spaced apart in order to scroll smoothly (I often end up doing three-finger scrolling).
    Hm ok seems to be a Gnome issue then. I will look into it, next time I've some free hours.

Edit: Do you have a T or a TG Model of you notebook? I ask because the T model works out of the box on natty another guy told me. The TG model makes more trouble here.
    Last edited by datenraffzahn; April 20th, 2011 at 09:28 AM.

Beans

Edit: Do you have a T or a TG Model of you notebook? I ask because the T model works out of the box on natty another guy told me. The TG model makes more trouble here.
    I have the 3820T-7459.

For the TG, have you tried gmanic's solution from post 43 in this thread?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mediamind View Post
    For the TG, have you tried gmanic's solution from post 43 in this thread?
    Yes so far the touchpad works but covers no multitouch features or further configuration.
    My initial post mentions this.
    The article in your previous post only mentions the T model with out of box working multitouch trackpad.
    Mine doesn't because its a different one no Synaptics its from Alps.

There hopefully will be a solution soon.
    I currently mostly use a mouse anyway.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast