Thread: Bookworm on Linux? (wine help)

Beans

Bookworm on Linux? (wine help)

I very new to Linux and I was wondering if it was possible to get an simple game from PopCap Games to work on Wine or Winex. I found that you have to pay for Cedega and I was told Wine won't run it cause it need directx. So I'm completely confused about how to go about getting this fun little game to run.

william

Beans

Re: Bookworm on Linux? (wine help)

Quote Originally Posted by orvalax
    I very new to Linux and I was wondering if it was possible to get an simple game from PopCap Games to work on Wine or Winex. I found that you have to pay for Cedega and I was told Wine won't run it cause it need directx. So I'm completely confused about how to go about getting this fun little game to run.

william
    Wine can run DirectX just perfectly, except for DirectX 9 (which should be working in a couple of months.)

You should use the up to date Wine packages at http://www.winehq.org/ - check the howto and the downloads page for install instructions (click the Ubuntu link).

Beans

Alright, I'll try that out, Thank you.

Beans

Bookworm works fine in firefox on my laptop. Once you get the java and flash plugins set up it should just work.

AMD64 3000+ / Asus K8V SE Deluxe
    3 GB PC3200 DDR
    NVidia GeForce7800 w/ 256mb

Beans

Yeah it works in Firefox, but I bought it for a family member and I want to try to get the downloaded version to work, its a registered copy. Its runs on windows just fine but I get a wierd error message when I run it.

Beans

I was ably to install wine flawlessly and then while the game was installing it gave me an error message saying that a link couldn't be made some where and the when I try to run it it give me this long error, some error in threas 9 or somthing like that.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by orvalax
    I was ably to install wine flawlessly and then while the game was installing it gave me an error message saying that a link couldn't be made some where and the when I try to run it it give me this long error, some error in threas 9 or somthing like that.
    Wine is still very much a work in progress. It's likely that your application uses some Windows function Wine hasn't yet implemented. Sorry.