Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Sony VPCCW21FX

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HowTo: Sony VPCCW21FX

Yes that's one of the things i've tried. I tried the compat-wireless by downloading its .tar.gz and also by apt-getting the backports module, both unsuccessful.

Dark_Stang, I think it's because the driver was installed while using this option. I had this problem too. What I think that I did to solve this I said in previous post.

Beans

I tried to install the kernel however now im stuck with a bad kernal at start up and can only boot from generic kernal. any advice?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by fuligin View Post
    I tried to install the kernel however now im stuck with a bad kernal at start up and can only boot from generic kernal. any advice?
    What error are you getting? What kind of computer do you have? What version of Ubuntu are you running? Is it 64bit or 32 bit?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Stang View Post
    What error are you getting? What kind of computer do you have? What version of Ubuntu are you running? Is it 64bit or 32 bit?

Im using a Sony Vaio CW Model#VPCCw21FX.
    Initially I installed from the alternate 64 as instructed.
    I was able to log in after making the graphics editing.
    However after running the kernel I get a
    1.725011 Kernal Panic - Not Syncing: VFS Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (0,0)

Any suggestions? Im actually thinking of reinstalling since I think my ubuntu partion is bigger then I wanted.

Thanks in advance.
    PS: Pls not this is my first attempt at Ubuntu in many years therefore even things like running the install.sh had to be researched.

Beans
    Hidden!

I would say re-download the package I posted and try it again. onhafoghefifo made me realize I forgot to include the ramdisk image in the original. Sounds like the same problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Good to know that everybody is making progress. Now we're going to be stuck at the same problem. Hope that someone finds what to do or where i got it wrong
    I am using ubuntu inside win7 via virtualbox, it was my last option, but i had to do it so to have wireless network access in my ubuntu. Must use it for work.

Beans

Has anyone tried custom compiling the kernel (either 2.6.33 or higher) as described in the OP on 32 bit install and seeing if the wireless works better? I'm definitely not loving the speed fluctuations and packet loss...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Stang View Post
    I would say re-download the package I posted and try it again. onhafoghefifo made me realize I forgot to include the ramdisk image in the original. Sounds like the same problem.
    During the install I am always getting this error

cp: cannot stat `initrd.img-2.6.33.3-ds': No such file or directory

obviously im doing something wrong since im the only one complaining

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I could finally prove my wireless connection (bought a linksys router) in my vpccw21fx with Ubuntu 10.04 64bits, and i can say i did not have drawbacks, i was online for about two hours and not experience disconnects, i made a ping test to google in the two hours and i got 9% packet loss, honestly i see this behavior normal, well for me is normal .

All I did was install ubuntu12 (alternate mode with nvidia driver 195) and update to date, after update install nvidia driver again (the new kernel made changes in the nvidia drivers). That's all.

Thanks to all for your help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Mblackwell, neither am i. I've tried to compile kernel 2.6.34 on ubuntu lucid 32 bits. It didn't solve the problem for me.

fuligin, this is happening because the cp command at the shell script is trying to copy a file that doesn't exist in your pc. Try to download again the package from the first post, and inside of it must have a 'initrd.img-2.6.33.3-ds' file. Dark_Stang forgot to pack this file before, but he already fixed it.

jjchm, you just installed ubuntu and did update/upgrade? Wow maybe they finally posted some updates to fix that \o/

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast