Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wacom Graphire I serial and Lucid

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Wacom Graphire I serial and Lucid

Alright, I know you have a stylus and eraser. How many buttons on the stylus? Do you have a Wacom tablet mouse? Does your Wacom Intuos serial A4 tablet have a pad? A cluster of buttons on the tablet?

I believe the command is:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
    but I wouldn't run it yet.

What chipset is the 'Driver "fbdev"' for? Is that the video chipset Intel licensed? Any chance you made a back up of the original xorg.conf or was there no xorg.conf when you started and you made one?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Hi Favux,

I tried something else. I logged in, in console mode as root. I then tried,

X -configure

Which created a file called xorg.conf.new in /root. I added the wacom serial pad lines and put it in /etc/X11 as xorg.conf.

I have tried this method to create an xorg.conf on two machines and, in both cases, the file stops xwindow from initiating.

When booting from cold, the system locks on the Kubuntu animated splash screen.

The file is rather long so I provide it as an attachment.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Hi Favux,

I have one, 2-way button on the pen i.e. either the top or the bottom of the elongated button can be clicked which is seen by the software as two separate buttons.

I have a tablet mouse, as well.

There are no hardware buttons on the pad, itself. It is the original Intuos design.

There was no xorg.conf as this was a fresh install of Lucid. There is, however, an xorg.conf.failsafe file and this was the one I used as the basis for an xorg.conf file. I suspect that the fbdev is to try to get a high resolution, frame-buffer display under failsafe conditions. If the normal drivers load correctly, I don't think the failsafe file would be used. IIRC, the computer has a fairly old and lowly ATI video card in it.

Would your,

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

actually generate an xorg.conf file? I suspect it no longer does so in Lucid. In my latest email in this thread I mentioned the

X -configure

command which was suggested for Lucid in another forum. However, it produces an xorg.conf.new file in /root which fails completely when transferred to /etc/X11 as xorg.conf. The modified version with the wacom additions is attached to my previous message. I can, at least, get xwindow up and running after a fashion with my xorg.conf.failsafe derivative, so perhaps some small tweaks might do the trick. I notice the video settings are more or less referring to other init settings and this was the sort of thing that went on in 9.10. xorg.conf.

I wonder if turquoiserabbit might be good enough to send us a copy of his xorg.conf file as a guide. I suspect that if he gets a true version of xf86-input-wacom-0.10.6 rather than 0.10.5 he might be close to success, especially if he starts from a clean slate, as I did.

Regards
    Roy Leith

Beans
    Distro

Hi royleith,

OK, X-configure made a mess. Your first xorg.conf looked better. I tried to clean out most of the cruft.

It looks like you are using Xorg's noveau driver for nvidia. Was there even an xorg.conf on your fresh Lucid install? And while noveau has come a long ways the proprietary nvidia drivers are still better. Do you have an objection to them?

So let's concentrate on fixing video, that may be what is breaking X. As always backup your working xorg.conf and be prepared to restore it from the command line if we break X.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Hi Favux,

Because I had problems with an upgrade, I installed Lucid from scratch. There is no xorg.conf in the new install.

I thought I was using the non-free video driver. When I found that I had not installed it on this distribution (there is both Ubuntu Studio and Kubuntu on this computer) I installed it. When I checked, it had added an xorg.conf file for the non-free driver. Since it required a restart, I took the opportunity to add my serial wacom lines and then restart.

xwindow did not start, but I could login and start xwindow with startx. That was fine, but the wacom did not work. I tried with your xorg.conf, but xwindow would not start and gave the warning that 'no screens were found'. I have seen this before in my experiments so it was not a surprise.

Then I took the xorg.conf for the proprietary driver and added your lines for the serial wacom. The computer booted normally into xwindow, but the wacom did not work. I checked Xorg.0.log and there were no references to the wacom driver. I tried with the lines at the start and at the end of the xorg.conf file with the same result.

Only with the following added does a reference to the wacom driver appear;

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Default Layout"
    Screen "Default Screen"
    InputDevice "stylus" "SendCoreEvents"
    InputDevice "eraser" "SendCoreEvents"
    EndSection
    I added all the serial wacom lines to the end of the xorg.conf file since I guessed that the screen had to be set up before the wacom driver was added.

As a final check, I changed from serial port 0 to serial port 1, but with no change.

In summary, I now have an xorg.conf file that will start Lucid correctly with the non-free video driver. The wacom driver is not detected unless the ServerLayout section is added. The wacom pad does not seem to be responding to attempts to set up serial communications.

I attach xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log.

Regards
    Roy Leith

The xorg.conf and the

Beans
    Distro

Good, video is straightened out.

Correct, need "ServerLayout" for Wacom detection. But with Xserver 1.7 I don't think you need "SendCoreEvents" any longer. Plus I added your cursor (Wacom tablet mouse) back in. You can check Xorg.0.log and see if you're still getting the same errors, and now also with cursor.

This should be the correct Lucid xorg.conf for you.

We should see what the 10-wacom.conf in /usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d/ looks like.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Hi Favux,

I am just about to try the modified xorg.conf, but I thought I would report another little experiment I carried out. I was hoping to generate an xorg.conf that defaulted to the free driver for those who want free-only drivers or do not use an NVidia card.

I uninstalled the non-free driver. That promptly deleted xorg.conf.

It looks as though we need to look elsewhere for an xorg.conf file for non-nvidia users.

Regards
    Roy Leith

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Hi, Favux,

I tried your xorg.conf and it drops back to a console login, as before. I log in as root and start xwindow and the wacom is not working (the driver is still not communicating with the wacom). I attach Xorg.0.log.txt to show this.

I then searched for 10-wacom.conf and neither folder nor file were there. I copied the new version from the HowTo (10-wacom.conf.txt) and it failed in much the same way (Xorg.0.log.xorg.conf.d.txt). However, as long as 10-wacom.conf was in place, it disabled the mouse and the keyboard while in xwindow. You can see in the log file that it does not load the KVM input devices. With the mouse and keyboard directly connected to the computer and the working xorg.conf with just the screen settings in place, it does the same thing: it disables the mouse and keyboard. I have not attached the log file as it does not add new information.

With some playing with a rescue CD and midnight commander I am now back to normal. Can you suggest a Linux equivalent to the Windows Hyperterminal as I would like to see if I can set up terminal communication with the wacom and see what async parameters make it happy. If you know how to set the async parameters in the xwindow, wacom, serial driver, that would also be a help.

Thanks for your support. I can't believe we are too far away from getting it working.

Regards
    Roy Leith

Beans
    Distro

Hi royleith,

First the good news. Sebastian Berthold resubmitted the serial patch as two patches yesterday. He's thinks he's fixed some of the issues the LWP dev.s pointed out but needs their help on a couple more: https://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/...xwacom-discuss So the serial fix is still under active development! Again it looks like the patches apply to xf86-input-wacom 0.10.6 or the current git.

I don't understand how the xorg.conf I posted could have broken X. All it did was add the cursor line to "ServerLayout" and remove SendCoreEvents. I don't think Xserver 1.7 needs SendCoreEvents, and in earlier Xservers it would just have disabled communication to the devices, not broken X. So it must be the cursor that broke X. Which seems to imply a problem with the original serial patch.

Further supporting a problem with the serial patch is the problems you had with 10-wacom.conf. I'm pretty sure none of that would have happened with the standard wacom drivers.

Yes I know how to set some of the serial parameters. Let me introduce you to the Linux Serial "bible".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Hi Favux,

I think there might be a problem with xf86-input-wacom 0.10.6. When I clicked on the download from sourceforge, 0.10.5 actually downloaded. I found my version of xf86-input-wacom 0.10.6 on a Japanese site and it extracted to a folder named xf86-input-wacom 0.10.6. However, I notice that the log file says,

(II) Module wacom: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
    compiled for 1.7.6, module version = 0.10.5
    Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
    ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 7.0

Even though the patch was successful, I am beginning to suspect that the download was the wrong version. I shall have another search, tomorrow. Thanks for the two links. I will follow those up, as well.

Regards
    Roy Leith

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast