Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wacom Graphire I serial and Lucid

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Wacom Graphire I serial and Lucid

That could be. Here's the download sites for the xf86-input-wacom tars: https://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxwacom/files/ And to clone the git see Appendix 5 on the linuxwacom HOW TO.

Beans

Hi Favux,

I downloaded the correct xf86-input-wacom, extracted, patched with original patch file, compiled and then copied wacom_drv.so to the correct location.

I also remembered what you wrote about ISD4 and commented out the forcedevice command in 10-wacom.conf.

The summary is that the driver will not now load,

(II) LoadModule: "wacom"
    (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/wacom_drv.so
    dlopen: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/wacom_drv.so: undefined symbol: gWacomSerialDevice
    (EE) Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/wacom_drv.so
    (II) UnloadModule: "wacom"
    Any thoughts on how to define that symbol? Perhaps it is a line in the source code.

The new module is much bigger than the original so I think it must be the .6 version and not the .5. Is there a linux command to check the version number of an xmodule?

As you will see, 10-wacom.conf still disables the mouse and keyboard whether or not xorg.conf has the wacom driver lines. I am wondering if it is an either/or choice and that I need to use the xorg.conf solution in order to use the non-free nvidia driver. My last experiment will be to see what happens if I remove the xorg.conf file and leave the 10-wacom.conf file in place.

Thanks for the link to the Linux-serial-HowTo. I used a terminal program and happily watched the wacom send signals on TTYS0 without flow control. If flow control is set by the new driver then this needs to be changed, but getting the driver to load is the first issue.

Regards
    Roy Leith
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Hi Favux,

I tried booting without xorg.conf, but with 10-wacom.conf and the keyboard and mouse were again disabled. There is one possibility. When the serial wacom stopped working, I installed the drivers for a USB wacom Bamboo. I am wondering if that is getting in the way of the serial pad. I will consider restoring an earlier version of Lucid and starting the serial driver patching procedure from scratch.

I think that's it for today while I wonder about that undefined symbol in the patched driver.

Regards
    Roy Leith

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by royleith View Post
    I think that's it for today while I wonder about that undefined symbol in the patched driver.
    I think you need to do a "autoreconf" after applying the patch and then do the "configure" and "make".

I'm still getting the:

stylus: Waited too long for answer (failed after 3 tries).

problem with the lastest patches.

Beans

I had forgotten to add the "Option" "ForceDevice" "SERIAL" to the Xorg.conf (with latest patches). All working now.

Beans
    Distro

Hi TheW4rden,

Outstanding! So with the latest patches all you needed to do was add:
    Code:
    Option "ForceDevice" "SERIAL"
    to (I'm assuming) xorg.conf and it works with the latest patches. Cool. Or did you add that to the serial snippet in 10-wacom.con?

Also which model of serial tablet do you have?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hey all,

Sorry, I've been following this thread but I didn't have anything useful to add since I needed to use my tablet immediately, so I just did a clean install of karmic koala. I'd had it working on that guy just fine and although I'm still interested in potentially keeping current with distro upgrades, from what I saw, lucid didn't offer me anything new that I don't have with Karmic.

Sorry I can't be of more help, maybe I'll do a lucid install on a fresh partition to test the wacom waters once I get the time.

Sounds like at least theW4rden got a serial tablet working . Is there a way still to configure the pen buttons? Because without being able to do that it makes my tablet efficiency drop to almost un-usable anyway.

Beans

WooHoo Favux!

I can, now, report that the Wacom Intuos A4 serial pad (the first series) is working, following the advice from TheW4rden.

The stylus, eraser and cursor all appear to work. The worthless pad mouse controls the cursor position, but no buttons work. This is an advantage as it is horrible.

The process I used was,

apt-get build-dep xf86-input-wacom
    cd xf86-input-wacom-0.10.6
    patch -p1 < xf86-input-wacom_git-20100511.patch
    autoreconf
    ./configure
    make
    copy wacom_drv.so from the hidden .libs folder to
    /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/wacom_drv.so

I attach the xorg.conf I used, but it is specific to the non-free driver for nvidia cards.

No file 10-wacom.conf was used in wacom.conf.d.

This still leaves a problem for the non-nvidia video card users or those who wish to use the 'free' driver as no xorg.conf file is available for modification.

I notice that the X -configure command may not produce a usable xorg.conf file, but it does produce the necessary Screen, Module and Device values for xorg.conf and I would have thought a little experimentation with the file I am using and the output of that command might generate a working file for those without a starting point for xorg.conf.

Many thanks to Favux and TheW4rden.

Regards
    Roy Leith
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro

Hi royleith,

Fantastic!

So you still used the first patch. So both sets worked. I was surprised to see:
    Code:
    works in "ServerLayout". I thought that would have to be added to each Wacom section, namely stylus, eraser, and cursor. Learn something new every day.

Not a problem for folks with non-proprietary nvidia or whatever. They just won't have video sections in their xorg.conf. They'll just add the Wacom sections and a "ServerLayout" like:
    Code:
    Section "ServerLayout"
      Identifier	"X.org Configured"
      InputDevice   "stylus"
      InputDevice   "eraser"
      InputDevice   "cursor"
    EndSection
    To create the xorg.conf file all they need to do is:
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    And then they can experiment where to add the 'Option "ForceDevice" "SERIAL"'. Personally I would have thought like:
    Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
      Driver        "wacom"
      Identifier    "stylus"
    #  Option        "Device"        "/dev/input/wacom"
      Option        "Device"        "/dev/ttyS0"      # SERIAL ONLY
      Option        "Type"          "stylus"
    #  Option        "ForceDevice"   "ISDV4"           # Tablet PC ONLY
    EndSection
    Again, great work!

Beans

I found another post http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1485180 discussed the problem in fujitsu T4010. I just followed his instruction and the problem was solved on my fujitsu T4210. However, everything goes back once I reboot the pc. The pen works properly if I restart X

code
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart
    Any better way to solve it?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast