Thread: Battlefield2 and World of Warcraft

Beans

Thumbs down Battlefield2 and World of Warcraft

Hi, got a question for you guys, is it possible to play theese games on ubuntu?
    please help, im doing a migration from windows to linux cause i heard linux is better...true?? thnx

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Re: Battlefield2 and World of Warcraft

Linux is better in a lot of ways in my opinion, but its also different. You'll have to get used to a lot of new ways of doing things, like using packages instead of installers.

There are two programs that let you play windows games on linux: wine (free) and cedega ($5/month). WoW is playable using either of them (so you should of course use the free wine ). Cedega currently plays battlefield 2, but not with punkbuster. They're working on punkbuster support; if they get it working, then it will work too.

What hardware do you have video card wise? Generally, NVIDIA cards work much better in Linux than ATI cards, as NVIDIA has better drivers. WoW will work on both; you may have issues with BF2 on ATI, I think. You can check the cedega release notes over at the transgaming website.

Beans

thnx man
    this is my computer: AMD atholon 3500+ 2,21GHz. 1.Gb ram
    Nivida gforce 6600 GT. so i should use linux then?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by lordjohannessen
    thnx man
    this is my computer: AMD atholon 3500+ 2,21GHz. 1.Gb ram
    Nivida gforce 6600 GT. so i should use linux then?
    I to am making a change to linux. There is some great HOW-TO's just hit search and type how-to and there u can find many differant ways to make ur distro the way u want it. Also it will tell u how to install BF2 and many other games that are played in winblows.
    Core i7 920 OC @3.8ghz 6 GB Gskill 1333 Dram Freq 744 mhz Antec 1200 Case 850W Single
    Rail Corsair PSU COOLER MASTER Hyper N 520 Logitech G9 and G15 gen2 KB 24' HD 1080P 3ms
    Multiplier x20 Bus 190 mhz QPI 3420 mhz NB 3040 mhz Nvidia GTX 260

Beans

thnx mate