Thread: A pdf document not recognized as pdf in FAT32 partition

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

A pdf document not recognized as pdf in FAT32 partition

Hi, I have downloaded a pdf document. On my Ubuntu partition, I can read the document. I usually store all my documents in a separate FAT32 partition. All of the other pdf documents are readable in that partition.

The latest document shows up like an odt document. When I try to open it up from the FAT32 partition, I get a message Unable to open Document--Error opening Document permission denied.

I am using Document Viewer in 9.10

Edit: the pdf document did not have the ending .pdf. When I renamed it from blahblah to blahblah.pdf, the problem was solved.
    Last edited by ubume2; May 11th, 2010 at 10:04 PM. Reason: solved

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Smile Re: A pdf document not recognized as pdf in FAT32 partition

thank you!

I downloaded several pdf documents and could read them with Document Viewer in Lucid but when I moved them to en ext3 partition I could only read some of them (which has the .pdf extension) and not others getting the same error as you. Adding .pdf extension to them fixed it!

Thank you I couldn't work it out and get myself lost in checking permissions which were all set correctly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: A pdf document not recognized as pdf in FAT32 partition

Quote Originally Posted by ubume2 View Post
    Hi, I have downloaded a pdf document. On my Ubuntu partition, I can read the document. I usually store all my documents in a separate FAT32 partition. All of the other pdf documents are readable in that partition.

The latest document shows up like an odt document. When I try to open it up from the FAT32 partition, I get a message Unable to open Document--Error opening Document permission denied.

I am using Document Viewer in 9.10

Edit: the pdf document did not have the ending .pdf. When I renamed it from blahblah to blahblah.pdf, the problem was solved.
    Works perfectly! Thanks.. was scratching my head at this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Re: A pdf document not recognized as pdf in FAT32 partition

Old thread closed.