Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HP LaserJet Professional P1102w

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

HP LaserJet Professional P1102w

I didn't realize HP licensed problematic IP for use in their printers, and I've never had any trouble with HP printers or scanners at all... so I went to Office Depot and bought an HP printer.

HPLIP doesn't support my printer now, they have no email or phone support for ubuntu, and their Windows email and phone support can't really tell me anything I don't know.

I bought a two year replacement plan for it, all I need to know is
    Will HPLIP support my printer at some point in the near future, or
    should I get rid of it?

Is there any way I can use it over WiFi if I can't use it over USB?

Beans

Re: HP LaserJet Professional P1102w

Hi,

Ive got the same printer and I dont know when HPLIP will support it.

I get it working with this driver. Check this out http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/
    Last edited by Chromos; May 12th, 2010 at 10:13 AM.

Beans

I just installed this open source driver and it works great!

Afterwards, I looked at HP's site again. They say the printer is fully supported, but requires hplip version 3.10.4+. That's a newer release than what's in the ubuntu repo (currently only 3.10.2). Maybe that is the problem. I possibly should have installed directly from:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/hplip/

----
    ETA: Out of curiosity, I tested both drivers, and the HP driver works fine too.

If you want to use the proprietary driver/plugin from HP, just download the latest hplip from sourceforce, give it execute permissions, and run it in a terminal. It will run a wizard to set up everything.

Disadvantage: some parts of the HP driver are proprietary. HP driver takes longer to install.
    Advantage: you get full printer support (like toner levels) with HP driver.
    Last edited by yaaarrrgg; May 19th, 2010 at 06:53 PM. Reason: tested hp driver

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I am thinking of buying this printer, specifically so that I can use it over wireless. I currently use 10.04. Could one of the posters who have got it working with Ubuntu, clarify whether they mean "working over USB" or "working over a WLAN"?

Beans

Well, mine is connected to a computer via usb, then shared on the network, so my laptop can access it wirelessly too. I hadn't tried the direct wireless mode yet. Though, it would surprise me if if didn't work. HP's driver support for linux is top-notch.

Actually, now that I think about it, I noticed that it didn't come with a USB cable and ordered it separately. That was one common complaint with it. Though it was probably a waste of money on my part to order the cable too ... I wasn't even thinking about using the direct wireless mode.
    Last edited by yaaarrrgg; July 10th, 2010 at 10:07 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks yaaarrrgg but in my house all the PCs are linux laptops, which are not always present at the same time, so I definitely need it to work via direct wireless access, not printer sharing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Chromos View Post
    Hi,

Ive got the same printer and I dont know when HPLIP will support it.

I get it working with this driver. Check this out http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/
    Thanks, I have this printer and using your link worked great!

Beans

I finally got around to setting a wireless connection rather than over USB, since I just got a new wireless router. Here are the steps I used to set up WPA (AES):

Press the wireless button on the printer and you should get a blinking blue light.

Push the x down and to print off a test page from the printer that shows all the default network configuration. The default gateway is the location of the printer, which for me was 169.254.156.163. It will also show an SSID.

By default the printer is set up as an ad hoc network, and you can connect directly to the printer at the wireless SSID HPEEE9F1. It's open, no encryption. After connecting to printer's access point, you should be able to view the printer admin pages at a url like:

http://PRINTER_DEFAULT_GATEWAY

Then under Networking -> Wireless changes settings to:

Infrastructure
    Change SSID to your wireless router
    Set security mode and passphrase

The wi-fi light should be solid blue now, and it will kick you off the access point HPEEE9F1. Push the x down and printed off a test page again, if you want the new IP address of the printer.

Now, for a standard internet connection, connect again to your wireless router. You won't be able to connect to the internet via the printer.

Then I installed hplip (latest version from hp) and ran hp-setup

Select "network printer" (second option), not the wireless option, and you should see it in the list.

----

One other thing I noticed is that Bonjour (device discovery) is enabled by default, so if the printer's on the network you can access the printer's admin page directly at:

http://npieee9f1.local./
    Last edited by yaaarrrgg; April 7th, 2011 at 05:02 AM.

Beans

Hi,

I came up with a sort of tutorial to configure the HP Laserjet p1102w wireless(wifi) printer, connected with USB cable, as well over wifi. I am currently usig Ubuntu 11.04, but it shoud work under older distributions too.

Connecting over USB

Is no big deal. Just plug and the system should configure it automatically. If not install the newest version of HPLIP
    Code:
    sudo  apt-get install hplip hplip-gui
    and then siply add a new printer from MENU System > Administration > Printing or with Terminal
    Code:
    sudo hp-setup -i
    Connecting over wifi = wirelessly

Wireless printing uder ubuntu is a little tricky. The manufacter mostly supports it for Windows, on the installation CD, but it can work on the Linux the same way. Most of the job is to configure the ad-hoc connection. Turn on your printer and on and make a sweep for wireless networks. You shoud find something like HP432CBA. Try to connect to it, but if will probably fail.

Therefore you have to edit this network : Edit connections > Wireless > [choose the network], click Edit and select the IPv4 Settings. Set Method to =Shared to other computers=, Save and try to connect again. It should work now.

Now press the button (x) on your printer for few seconds and wait until it prints the configuration page. Remember the printer cant be in sleep mode, use (I) to wake it. On this configuration page find the IPv4 address. Open your browsver and put the address in there. You should see the printers server page. If yes, it is almost done.

Now we can add the printer. At first install hplip-gui, if isnt installed on your machine.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install hplip-gui
    Then open System > Administration > Printing, click to add a new printer, select =Find network printer=, enter the IPv4 address into the Host column. It would find Jetdirect, click foward, choose or download a proper driver and print a test page.

Hope that it helped.

Beans

The plugin (hplip-3.11.7-plugin.run) fails to install in Lucid Lynx 10.04. Also hp-wificonfig fails, so WiFi-connection cannot be established. Error logs:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/hplip/+bu...to-install.txt
    Last edited by HandeH; August 8th, 2011 at 03:31 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast