Thread: Old kernels in Grub2 don't exist

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Old kernels in Grub2 don't exist

Ubuntupals:

I just installed 10.04 over my previous dual boot with Windows7 and 9.10. Went well. Now, in the Grub2 menu, there are like 14 kernels. I tried to find them in Synaptic to delete them, but they are not there! So, I went to grub.cfg and deleted the entries, updated grub, and they were back! How do I get rid of these entries?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Old kernels in Grub2 don't exist

sudo update-grub

Have you tried that?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yes. For some reason it is finding images that don't seem to exist. At least, I can't find them in Synaptic. And, other than grub, this is a clean install. I deleted the partition that had 9.10 when I installed 10.04. So, I have 10.04, Windows7, swap, etc. Can't figure out how to get rid of these!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by dndrich View Post
    Ubuntupals:

I just installed 10.04 over my previous dual boot with Windows7 and 9.10. Went well. Now, in the Grub2 menu, there are like 14 kernels. I tried to find them in Synaptic to delete them, but they are not there! So, I went to grub.cfg and deleted the entries, updated grub, and they were back! How do I get rid of these entries?
    There is a file in grub somewhere where you can set how many kernels to hold before it throws them away.
    Going to look for it in a while, memory stinks sometimes when looking for paths.
    Usually for users with one OS and you do not see the grub menu at boot and kernels can
    stack up. Me I keep 2 kernels active for each install. I believe default was about 10 kernels or so, a lot anyway. Wish I could remember the path but I will sooner or later. Only a few places it could be. Now with computer janitor even GUI will tell you when there are multiples.
    You should try CODE:

sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude upgrade

In terminal and it will tell you what should be tossed and how to do it.
    Last edited by garvinrick4; May 11th, 2010 at 02:43 AM.
    Remember hence where you come and pass it down.
    Ubuntu Forums member #899097 and Ubuntu Member:

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by garvinrick4 View Post
    There is a file in grub somewhere where you can set how many kernels to hold before it throws them away.
    Going to look for it in a while, memory stinks sometimes when looking for paths.
    Usually for users with one OS and you do not see the grub menu at boot and kernels can
    stack up. Me I keep 2 kernels active for each install. I believe default was about 10 kernels or so, a lot anyway. Wish I could remember the path but I will sooner or later. Only a few places it could be. Now with computer janitor even GUI will tell you when there are multiples.
    You should try CODE:

sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude upgrade

In terminal and it will tell you what should be tossed and how to do it.
    What is so weird is that I ran the code above, and it says 0 for upgrade or remove. I have searched in Synaptic, and these kernels are not there. Yet they appear in the grub list on boot. Would love to get rid of them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

hmm, I havnt done this on ubuntu (or Grub2 for that matter)

Here's a link https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Gr...c/default/grub

That should help.
    Last edited by igf1; May 11th, 2010 at 02:53 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

OK, I found the kernels in /boot. I gksudo nautilus, and deleted them. I then ran update-grub, and that did it. Don't know what those were doing there, but there you have it.