Page 85 of 184 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795135 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) Random Freeze / Hang-up

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) Random Freeze / Hang-up

Although ubuntu 10.04 has become a lot more stable it still locks up after 3 days or so. It was incredible how unstable it was when i first installed it - lockups every 15 minutes.

I converted a numbr of people over from windows, but I won't reccommend ubuntu until this gets fixed. My 84 year old mom still has xubuntu 9.10 plugging away with only a few minor problems that were easily resolved. Mint 9 xfce has been up for almost 60 hours so far w/o problems.

I use ubuntu 9.10 at work and i'm going to have to find a gnome alternative soon, because support for 9.10 is running out. The work pc's are too critical to change distros without doing a lot of testing first.

I agree that it seems the devs are ignoring the problem and hoping it'll go away. If it's being worked on I'll wait for awhile longer. If not, I'll abandon ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bigaLOL View Post
    Damn! It's really been 8 years since the 2400 came out? I've had mine since late '03! Mine also randomly shuts off while I'm in the middle of something...REALLY frustrating. I've updated kernels and the problem still persists. I read problems of overheating, but that's just not the issue. I checked the BIOS and the auto power off was unselected. I just completely cleaned my tower and literally 5 minutes after turning it on, it shut off again. I'll definitely look into PCLOS.

Has anyone here tried Peppermint OS? It looks great, but I don't want to deal with backing everything up and wiping the HD out again to start all over until I hear some positive reviews from people that switched. Thanks!
    Tried that on my old Dell...not successful. Stick with PCLOS if you have old computers.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Exclamation Re: Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) Random Freeze / Hang-up

Hey count me in! but am still looking for a better fix,

some people say it was a bug in the xorg-server package ..
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/539772

I temporarily tried this patch from Bryce Harrington’s PPA

Code:
     sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bryceharrington/purple && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

..found on this website
    http://hackademix.net/2010/05/04/bug...efox-noscript/

Even though I didn't had this NoScript thing from Firefox, it did work for me!! .. like freezing is gone.
    .chance.favors.the.prepared.mind

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

On a clean install, my machine did not crash. The freezes didn't start up until I added the xswat ppa repository and upgraded. I did not have this bug last month, so I believe a recent upgrade, unrelated to the new Nvidia 256 drivers, is the cause. I am going to create a new install without the repository and see if that machine crashes.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by x86scorpion View Post
    Hey count me in! but am still looking for a better fix,

some people say it was a bug in the xorg-server package ..
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/539772

I temporarily tried this patch from Bryce Harrington’s PPA

Code:
     sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bryceharrington/purple && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

..found on this website
    http://hackademix.net/2010/05/04/bug...efox-noscript/

Even though I didn't had this NoScript thing from Firefox, it did work for me!! .. like freezing is gone.
    I'm going to try this patch just because it can't be worse than what I've already got.

Whatever is wrong---on my machine at least---definitely seems to be tied into key presses. If I leave it alone and don't strain the keyboard too much at one sitting, I am not seeing any display problems.
    "It's not the age, it's the mileage."

Beans

Well the cause for me seems to be my netgear pci wireless.

Since using a 3G stick i haven't had a single problem.

Beans

I had the same problem with Ubuntu 10.04: many freezes (2 or 3 every hour of use).
    Now, I installed Xubuntu and within three days I have experienced no freezes at all and the system is very stable. So, I suspect that the problem is in Gnome/Xorg interaction.

Beans

My random freeze has stopped for the last 2 weeks.

I turned on auto-login as a low security user, turned off the screensaver and monitor power management for this user.

Now the freeze never happens.

Beans

hey guys im really confused? is there a fix / work around for this? i get stuck at boot checking battery....ok then thats it

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by nzokdat View Post
    hey guys im really confused? is there a fix / work around for this? i get stuck at boot checking battery....ok then thats it
    I see that message also---on a desktop without a battery to check!

If that is part of the problem I would love to know how to fix it.
    "It's not the age, it's the mileage."

Page 85 of 184 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795135 ... LastLast