Page 72 of 184 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482122172 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) Random Freeze / Hang-up

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) Random Freeze / Hang-up

Turning off all desktop effects helped me get an old dell running that had a similar problem.Also on a very old laptop 128 ram I was able to install DSL and or Kboppix then Ubuntu from there, why this worked I have no clue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm not sure if this has already been covered in the 70 odd pages that this thread covers but I have found that when the mouse freezes up on my 10.04 installation it usually gets locked to a corner. I have found that if you lift your mouse off your work surface and wait for it to flash (I'm using a laser mouse) and then try and use the mouse again it usually works. Sometimes you way have to wait a little while (<30 seconds) for it to catch up.

It's not a permanent fix but it might help some people.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by TCWriter View Post
    You might consider it optimism (or superstition), but my 10.04 system would freeze fairly quickly (under 15 minutes) until I started booting under NOAPIC (a trick I believe I learned from someone much earlier in the thread).

It's been rock solid for more than a week of everyday use (like 9.10 always was, and I'm running the two on the same machine), so this isn't just superstition.

For me, it's a fix.
    I'm glad it's a fix for you. My Lucid freezes about twice a week; when it froze today, I set noapic. It froze within hours. This one was a really hard freeze; I had to drop the battery out of the laptop for a bit before I could persuade it to come back on (I had killed it, as always, with REISUB; I've never had problems turning it back on afterwards).

As one of the links I posted earlier said, there are many potential causes for freezes. A fix that works for you may not work for me. A "fix" that is followed by no freezes for x [hours|days] isn't necessarily a fix of a random failure if it occurs later.

On Jaunty, I tried a number of kernel upgrades, boot options, and other "fixes," all to no avail. The only "fix" was a fresh install of Karmic. I'm not inclined to try each and every fix here in the hopes that one will work for me -- I have better things to do with my time.

I checked out the noapic suggestion, and there are claims around that Linux in general has been slow at working well with APIC. Those same claims seem to suggest all those problems are behind us, but I decided it was at least worth trying.

If I see a fix where the suggestion seems to have a logical relationship from cause to effect, I may try it. I may also just try lenny.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Does anyone know if 10.04 continues doing the random freezing inside VirtualBox or VMWare?

Odd Question I know but the reason I ask is because I've already stepped-down to 9.10 and I'm afraid to upgrade to 10.04 to try the NOAPIC option to find that it doesn't work for me. So I figured if 10.04 still does the freezing while being virtualized I can test it out.

- Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by tonytraductor View Post
    What's really happening here is that the keyboard and mouse no longer illicit any response.
    The system, apparently, is still running.
    Currently, my netbook is playing Carlinhos Brown on Last.FM.
    I can hear the music.
    I can also see the CPU monitor in the taskbar moving.
    But I can't type or move the mouse (typing here from my debian/stable desktop, not the xubuntu 9.10 netbook of which I write).
    This thread, as I understand, was originally about COMPLETE system lock-up since Lucid. Not a freeze that can be reset by Alt+SysRq+B or allows audio or other processes to continue in the background... But only a full hard reset/reboot ( by keeping the shutdown button pressed for 4 secs for example ) can revive the system. If you'r not seeing that, you probably are facing other issues:

I have had similar problems to the quote above ( system irresponsive to mouse or keyboard imput but actually still active ) with an older Asus laptop since Karmic. This was due to some BIOS issues combined with Intel Graphics i855GM issues and kernel mode setting (KMS). You might want to try the installation procedure described on http://blog.cyril-ravat.fr/post/2009...ze-on-Asus-M2n to get your machine stable...

Hope that helps some.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by RavanH View Post
    This thread, as I understand, was originally about COMPLETE system lock-up since Lucid. Not a freeze that can be reset by Alt+SysRq+B or allows audio or other processes to continue in the background... But only a full hard reset/reboot ( by keeping the shutdown button pressed for 4 secs for example ) can revive the system. If you'r not seeing that, you probably are facing other issues:

I have had similar problems to the quote above ( system irresponsive to mouse or keyboard imput but actually still active ) with an older Asus laptop since Karmic. This was due to some BIOS issues combined with Intel Graphics i855GM issues and kernel mode setting (KMS). You might want to try the installation procedure described on http://blog.cyril-ravat.fr/post/2009...ze-on-Asus-M2n to get your machine stable...

Hope that helps some.
    Some of us I think have had problems at both ends of the spectrum, and are following this thread in the hope of finding a solution to any kind of freeze situation. The partial and total freezes may or may not be interrelated. Each case may have an individual cause and solution. My solution was a clean re-install of Lucid, which stopped the total freeze-ups, although partials still occur.

YMMV. Here it looks as if everybody's mileage varies.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

The system here has locked up with the Glib warning on a black screen ever since I upgraded. Running on ext.3.
    Thankfully I have never lost any data, even though I have lots of things running at once, along with VM Workstation.
    This same machine also still runs Gutsy and Edgy flawlessly.

I also have an old Dell 600 laptop that has never had this issue.
    (Clean install, ext4).

I've reported what I could on the error, and dissapointed to find out this far down the road, and with everyone's help, this issue still exists.
    Really disappointed as this is a LTR.

I've been in puters since you had to walk around the back of the 5 foot cabinet and plug in all the wires just to run a program. This is utter nonsense that such a piece of garbage as this has been released by the Ubuntu Team as a LTR. Call that last sentence a rant if you wish, but in my computer circles, Ubuntu has lost a lot of respect among us with this release.

I am unsure what I want to do at this point. I was waiting for 10.04, and was planning on just running it until the next LTR. That plan has now had to be aborted. It was not my plan to go with the next upgrade of Ubuntu, but now, if I stay with Ubuntu, I would have no other choice, hoping that will resolve the problem. But at this point, no one knows it will.

Perhaps the best thing, (for me), to do is sadly abort Ubuntu altogether, and go to Debian stable, as was mentioned in some posts earlier in this thread.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by NoVista View Post
    The system here has locked up with the Glib warning on a black screen ever since I upgraded. Running on ext.3.
    Thankfully I have never lost any data, even though I have lots of things running at once, along with VM Workstation.
    This same machine also still runs Gutsy and Edgy flawlessly.

I also have an old Dell 600 laptop that has never had this issue.
    (Clean install, ext4).

I've reported what I could on the error, and dissapointed to find out this far down the road, and with everyone's help, this issue still exists.
    Really disappointed as this is a LTR.

I've been in puters since you had to walk around the back of the 5 foot cabinet and plug in all the wires just to run a program. This is utter nonsense that such a piece of garbage as this has been released by the Ubuntu Team as a LTR. Call that last sentence a rant if you wish, but in my computer circles, Ubuntu has lost a lot of respect among us with this release.

I am unsure what I want to do at this point. I was waiting for 10.04, and was planning on just running it until the next LTR. That plan has now had to be aborted. It was not my plan to go with the next upgrade of Ubuntu, but now, if I stay with Ubuntu, I would have no other choice, hoping that will resolve the problem. But at this point, no one knows it will.

Perhaps the best thing, (for me), to do is sadly abort Ubuntu altogether, and go to Debian stable, as was mentioned in some posts earlier in this thread.
    Sadly, I have abandoned 10.04 and switched over to PCLinuxOS. I was using Fedora 13 for a few weeks with only one freeze, but with PCLinuxOS I have NO freeze...repeat NONE... for over a month now.

Beans

I am also getting this freeze, however I am not so convinced that it is neccersaraly random. Most of the time it does appear to be random but I am actualy able to make it happen just by changing my desktop image. This is guarenteed to make it freeze up and just like everyone else I get the black screen(mine is accompanied by an odd burst of drum beat?) and I have to do a cold shutdown. Once I reeboot the Desktop image I was trying to put on is there.
    I was convinced it was a graphics card issue and had read that the Nvidea drivers that come preinstalled were conflicting with some graphics cards for other users. I deleted these drivers as I have an Intel card but it made no difference.
    I am willing to put up with this for a while as the PC I have installed to is mostly used just for web surfing but I was hoping to be able to install it to another PC currently running 9.10 but I require a stable OS for that one so I will wait to see if there is a fix for the issue. At present I am not convinced there is one as I have tried many suggestions that have made no difference.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

(Got this from a friend who's an Ubuntu beta-tester)

For those of you who are using Intel Graphic Chipsets, a new driver has been released. Here are the instructions on how to install it:

http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-ins....04-lucid-lynx

It will be interesting to see if this helps anyone.

StewartM

Page 72 of 184 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482122172 ... LastLast