Page 36 of 184 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686136 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) Random Freeze / Hang-up

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) Random Freeze / Hang-up

@mudBuntu can you add your test data to the bug report i linked to a post or two ago? I am getting sure it is a kernel issue as i am on Fedora12 at the moment (so an older kernel) and not a single freeze.
    Last edited by ELD; June 6th, 2010 at 09:04 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ELD View Post
    @mudBuntu can you add your test data to the bug report i linked to a post or two ago? I am getting sure it is a kernel issue as i am on Fedora12 at the moment (so an older kernel) and not a single freeze.
    Done. I took my Ubuntu Forums post and added a bit more detail. I would be interested to see if this resolves the issue for any others.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chrishopp View Post
    Done. I took my Ubuntu Forums post and added a bit more detail. I would be interested to see if this resolves the issue for any others.
    Two separate forum accounts? That's confusing!

Will read up the report now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I'm actually embarrassed to show my friends this OS in it's current state, when it freezes (Which it does constantly since installing Lucid) all I get is, "Oh that's good, I don't get ANY freezes on Windows"

Ubuntu devs REALLY have to pull their heads in. Seems everyone working on this OS has their heads in the clouds. They are far too concerned with the cosmetic and not enough with stability.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ELD View Post
    Two separate forum accounts? That's confusing!
    It is, indeed. I'm kind of new with these forums and I think I had my Launchpad login improperly linked with a different account. My multiple personalities should now be cured.

Now, back to the problem at hand... several hours on the new install with just the downgraded kernel - no other modifications - and all's well... kernel downgrade is looking like a viable workaround for my T42.

Also, for kicks, performed a standard install on a ThinkPad T43 with Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller (integrated graphics - inferior to the Mobility Radeon on the T42) - no problems whatsoever. Out of four installs, the only issues with freezing seem to be on the T42 with the default kernel.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

ok after many hours 48 to be exact i got my 10.4 amd 64 working perfectly

to 2 reinstalls but i found were i personally was having the freezing problem it got to the point were i couldn't even get past the time server set up in the install process

ill give as much info as i can

ok i run a dual boot with ubuntu 10.4 and win 7 both 64 bit
    after using partition magic off of hierons boot cd 10.4 to total clean the partition i keep ubuntu on make sure no usb flash drives are plugged in ,no sd cards in there readers nothing extra popped in any open holes on your tower
    just mouse,keyboard,monitor(s),power cable and speakers
    boot from you 10.4 cd pick you settings for time server ,keyboard, were you would like to put it make sure the partition ,hdd,were ever you put is clean and wiped
    now i think the issue was somewhere in the update package like in the last update set that was sent out about 2 weeks ago i ran the update manager and got hung at grub-pc so forced a restart
    on login tried again same thing so not knowing crap i ran the command
    sudo aptitude purge grub-pc
    got a error that i need to configure --a
    so i ran
    sudo aptitude configure --a
    got a list of commands next ran sudo aptitude configure --f
    that forced grub-pc to finish installing which then finished the upgrade
    there is also a command which i had to run for the
    nvidia-xconfig because that wasn't working
    now i would imagine that that command is going to change depending on which graphic hardware you are using but
    try sudo aptitude configure update "hardware drive you need here"
    and ive been going strong typing like a madman know for 4 hours with out indecent (have a paper due last week)
    it is something with the xconfig file not saving properly so when ever you save your xconfig file make sure it parses properly which it should do automatically
    if you get the error that "xconfig did not parse correctly " after you save it then try a different driver maybe im not to sure !!! but i know that after the clean install and the issues with grub config not saving correctly and that caused xconfig not to save correctly and to not load correctly
    if the grub-pc dont work proper than it doesn't load the rest of the os properly especially the xconfig file which btw took me 4 times to save without problems

Beans

My computer has been fine since my last forum post (~10 days I think...). I had to restart my PC as gnome was being rubbish and freezing came back. Did a fresh reinstall, with upgrade etc and the freezing still seems to be there.

From reading this thread there seems to be some luck with patching the kernel to adjust the read write for ext3 drives. Where are some easy to follow instructions for this? Last time I tried to patch a kernel all hell broke lose

Also - I was watching my CPU monitor as the computer was crashing yesterday. There were no spikes on CPU/Network/Memory. Didn't have a HD graph up so couldn't check that one.

Beans

I have the same problem. After google around i found that it's my artheros card problem.

So now i just switch my wireless driver to madwifi and it solves my problem. Just follow the link http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1496577.

Hope it helps those who have the same problem as mine.

Beans

Here goes nothing. Just installed the 2.6.31-10-rt kernel, since it was available in my synaptic. Let's see what happens.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mudBuntu View Post
    However, I think I have finally found a solution without downgrading to Karmic: I had seen where some users with Intel graphics cards had experienced success downgrading the kernel to linux-image-rt (2.6.31.10.12). While I certainly don't have a need for a real time kernel, this was the only kernel in the default Ubuntu Lucid repositories that was based on 2.6.31 and not 2.6.32. I didn't want to go with a nightly build or PPA. I wanted to stick with the stock repo, if possible. Sure enough, I've been operating a day and a half without a lockup.
    I'm almost on 4 hours with the rt 2.6.31 kernel, which is a lot longer than anything previously.

It seems that the 2.6.32 kernels may be the problem, at least in a number of cases.

Page 36 of 184 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686136 ... LastLast