Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu in a large office. . .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Ubuntu in a large office. . .

No doubt,it takes some time for users new to Linux to adapt to new OS environment..
    But,frequent re-booting of systems because of application crashes is what should be handled by their IT team seriously..seems that they are not skilled enough for Linux.
    On the other hand,we cannot rule out that Linux(Ubuntu to be precise)also has some serious bugs waiting to be fixed..And,in my opinion,ubuntu developers does not care to fix these bugs..they are more focussed on releasing new releases..
    It is like there are 2 facets of the same coin..good and bad..

Vote for my Idea
    ~~~Open-source Software and Patience go hand in hand~~~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

it would be interesting to know how many guys of their IT department are microsoft certified...
    Last edited by LoneWolfJack; May 10th, 2010 at 07:47 AM.
    True warriors don't follow paths - they make them.
    It's not their desire, it's their nature.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Those IT guys should start posting here in the support forums.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I do not believe that ubuntu is the problem.

The problem is probably.

The IT-department-lack-of-experience, bad-network-setup, badly-supported-hardware (read HCL). Bad custom scripts/programs.

Does your friends office, even have an experienced linux administrator to maintain the systems, network, with more??

EDIT: What version of ubuntu are she running. Now if she says 10.04 then im gona laugh.

It's a shame to hear that your friend has so meny problems, and probably not a decent administrator. I would love to be
    a administrator for such ubuntu-setup,s instead of what i do now. Get her to pull that bunch together and solve some problems.
    Last edited by Drenriza; May 10th, 2010 at 07:57 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by satish_j View Post
    [...]
    On the other hand,we cannot rule out that Linux(Ubuntu to be precise)also has some serious bugs waiting to be fixed..And,in my opinion,ubuntu developers does not care to fix these bugs..they are more focussed on releasing new releases..
    It is like there are 2 facets of the same coin..good and bad..
    Do you hold facts on these or are these presuppositions? (**No flaming intended though**)

I believe enterprise-centric (and security bugs) related issues are constantly addressed in the Ubuntu LaunchPad

While I can recall that Linus Torvalds initially build his Linux as a Unix-clone (a server of systems IMO), Linux and Ubuntu should be seen as such. It has attracted great audience primarily because it has stood a greater test of time of diverse software engineering methodologies and phases.

IMO: Critical bugs are often addressed quick. and even those that can be costly in the enterprise domains. Which IT admin would deploy cutting edge release in a Mission-Critical arena in the first 2weeks of release?

I don't work for Canonical but I bet they are doing their fair job. And also leaving open the options to MAKE our own modifications to our pleasure not like some greater corporations who prefer to sell ONLY usage rights

"The collection of people, hardware, and software --Internet.
    Let us assume for a moment that such a network has been formed." - J. C. R. Licklider, Robert Taylor, 1968.
    Linux Registered User #511228! Ubuntu Registered User #31414

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mcooke1 View Post
    Those IT guys should start posting here in the support forums.
    +5000 to this. there is nothing unprofessional about seeking professional advice. point your friend to this thread, and encourage her & her colleagues to seek help here. remind her that there is no shame in seeking help from folks that know more than you about one small and very specific subject.

hell, suggest to your friend that she point out to her friends the times/dates/locations of local LUG meetings.
    Last edited by earthpigg; May 10th, 2010 at 08:17 AM.
    Semper Fi

My Non-Ubuntu Blog.
    All posts by me are Public Domain.

Beans

It might be good to let someone in management know that there is service available from Canonical.

http://www.ubuntu.com/support/services

Yes they do charge for it. Might help if they talked to those foks and maybe got some training that didn't come from a company that won't let you actually work on the system.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by FirstByté View Post
    Do you hold facts on these or are these presuppositions?
    Read his words....

And,in my opinion,...
    Seems he hasn't got facts.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by earthpigg View Post
    +5000 to this. there is nothing unprofessional about seeking professional advice. point your friend to this thread, and encourage her & her colleagues to seek help here. remind her that there is no shame in seeking help from folks that know more than you about one small and very specific subject.

hell, suggest to your friend that she point out to her friends the times/dates/locations of local LUG meetings.
    Might be a good idea. But they need to face the facts. If it as bad ad it sounds. Then their needs to be an skilled linux administrator, that sits down and checks the systems/servers one by one. To get a real fix. In a short time frame.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by satish_j View Post
    [...]
    ..And,in my opinion,ubuntu developers does not care to fix these bugs..they are more focussed on releasing new releases..
    That caught my fancy

Quote Originally Posted by howefield View Post
    Read his words....

Seems he hasn't got facts.
    Wonderful to 'read'

Fingers crossed.
    "The collection of people, hardware, and software --Internet.
    Let us assume for a moment that such a network has been formed." - J. C. R. Licklider, Robert Taylor, 1968.
    Linux Registered User #511228! Ubuntu Registered User #31414

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast