Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: large NFS copy locks up/hang client with large files (again) (lucid)

Beans

Re: large NFS copy locks up/hang client with large files (again) (lucid)

Appears to be happening in kernels 2.x & 3.x. Tried with Ubuntu 10/11/12.

Currently got a VM with 12.x in 32 bit, same problem.

Very frustrating...

Q

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Bell View Post
    I'm getting repeatable lock-ups when copying files from my file server to my ubuntu desktop (11.10 and, now, with 12.04 final). The lock-up occurs quite early, for instance after 158MB.

The fileserver is running a slackware-based package. If the server is using a 2.6 kernel, there are no lockups, but as soon as the server is upgraded to a 3.0 (or 3.2) kernel, the lock-ups return.

Perhaps this problem occurs only if both machines are running a 3+ kernel? Is that the same as nfsv4 support?

What makes it so annoying is that Nautilus refuses to die after the lockup, even kill -9 doesn't work.
    I've done some experiments and after doing everything stated in the how-to of my previous post I do get quite stable nfs server. While I'm copying files from the server to the client the server responds more slowly but still responds. The problem is when I'm copying files from the client to the server. It locks-up even with small files ~ 150MB. I think it has something to do with the copy speed. At first I get speeds of 300MB/s (I have an SSD) and then everything kinda lock-up until everything get copied to the server. After that everything gets back to normal.

I think we should try to find an option that limits the copy speed to the server. That way we might not get lock-ups.

If the server fails the programs using it will lock-up and wait for response indefinitely. This happens with every program using the nfs share. I believe that adding options bg,soft should help and I'm seeing some improvement with Dolphin (you can kill the locked-up, start new one and it will work fine), but for other programs like Amarok that doesn't help.

I think that we need to look into the possibility of creating a fake nfs server and using that one to unlock the programs in case of the original server fails.

Beans

I can also verify that this is happening on 12.04 LTS lubuntu.

I have a 12.04 NFS server and it is ok with 10.04 clients but not 12.04. Only 12.04 -> 12.04 NFS seems to lock it up, however when it locks up on the 12.04 clients, the 10.04 clients are still screaming along! It's seems to be a client issue with the latest nfs-common package. If I use sshfs it works perfectly...

My 10c.

Bj

Beans

I have managed to stop the lockups by using tcp instead of udp which fixes it for me!

192.168.2.1:/mnt/backups /mnt/backups nfs rsize=8192,wsize=8192,nolock,timeo=14,intr,proto=tcp,port=2049

Suprising seeing it has no trouble on 10.04....

Cheers

Bj
    Last edited by BjBlaster; June 23rd, 2012 at 02:15 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

This is definitively *NOT* Solved.
    ==================================

I have Ubuntu 10.04 server amd64 and with kernels 2.6.35-32-server or 3.0.0-22-server the problem is apparent (i have not downgraded to original kernel yet but is there a point in even trying???)

I have tried with tcp or udp, sync or async - no change.
    I have replaced NICs to all intel...

Clients Ubuntu 11.10 and 12.04 all have the same problem of completly freezing up.
    KDE with nfs mounted home shares is impossible if more than one client
    is started ther will be a deadlock/freeze often requireing hard (power off) reset.
    Nothing in the logs as far as I can see...

Ubuntu 8.04 or 10.04 clients have no problems whatsoever in the same setup.

This is really sad - I have been using NFS for home shares for something like 8 years straight with very few problem before.
    10.04 introduced the problem related to bootwait - but that was solvable..
    My conclusions is that eiter Ubuntu clients 11.10 and 12.04 are not fit for use in traditional nfs setups or the linux kernel > 3.0.0 is degraded...

First time with Linux for 8 years that I am without options...
    What to do?

Regards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Point of clarification:

Problems with freezing occurs only with more than one NFS client running 11.10 or 12.04.
    One client works fine.
    Several 10.04 clients with one 11.10 or 12.04 works fine.

The funny thing though is that I use kernel 3.0.0 in my 10.04 clients...

Is this an indication of portmap being replaced by rpcbind is the root cause, or something like that???

Any help greatly appreciated!

Regards

Beans

I couldn't find what's wrong with it, so I switched to samba. It looks like nfs has severely degraded for regular users and especially for those who use
    it over wifi.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Unhappy Re: large NFS copy locks up/hang client with large files (again) (lucid)

This is certainly not solved. I'm experiencing the same symptoms, i.e. slow transfers, periodic hangups of Nautilus or sometimes entire desktop, when writing from a Ubuntu 12.04 client to a rooted (for the purpose of adding NFS support, oh the irony) Buffalo LS-XL NAS server which is running a Debian derivative Linux OS.

I really think this is rather embarrassing. NFS is after all supposed to be the less resource intensive and faster *NIX-land alternative to SMB, yet not only doesn't it do DNS-SD but also performs bugger all on the most popular Linux distro out there. This really needs to get fixed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Talking Re: large NFS copy locks up/hang client with large files (again) (lucid)

This is so Stupid a Fix but it worked for Me

Just edit the /etc/hosts
    and either remove all the localhost references in both ipv4 and ipv6 on both systems.
    after doing this went from speeds of 100k/sec over 63Mbits/sec and also got rid of the stupid avahi warning about local domain all in 1 hit.

Hope this will help get to the bottom of this and would love to hear if this fixes the speed isssues for other people as well

If this fixes the issue for other people we may need to look at avahi daemon or the package that supplies the /etc/hosts file

Very Happy again here.

Quick Update Tried this same setup today and back to slow speed.
    One thing i Noticed though was that if i restart both server and client at same time and able to start the File Transfer before the Avaya Warning Message appear then I am able to get a good copy speed if i wait log enough for the warning to come up it is really slow.
    Network Service Discovery Disabled Popup.
    Not sure if this is related or it is something else starting up in the backgroup that is effecting it.
    Last edited by dpg77; August 3rd, 2012 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Update that My fix Failed again.

Beans

Has a bug been raised for this - I thought I had some nic issues until I read this thread.

The original poster needs to unmark this solved, as it certainly isn't

ice.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast