Thread: Paradox?

Beans

Paradox?

I want to know something. I've run Ubuntu off the LiveCD multiple times. Every time, I always find the drivers I need. However, when I install it, I lose the ability to use those drivers. Why is this?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Paradox?

LiveCDs typically include far more drivers than a typical desktop installation to work on as much hardware as possible. All of these drivers are not installed when you install Ubuntu.
    Website | Blog | The Arch Hurd Project

If you want to ask about something I posted, send a PM, as I don't watch many threads

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Barrucadu View Post
    LiveCDs typically include far more drivers than a typical desktop installation to work on as much hardware as possible. All of these drivers are not installed when you install Ubuntu.
    Is there any way to transfer them to the installation, or have it install the correct set of drivers when I install?

Beans
    Hidden!

If the live CD identifies PC components and then knows which driver to use,
    And the installer is also identifying components I would think and using the same drivers as the live CD, so to me what is happening as you say, makes no sense.

Why would they design it to work that way. In the past, I noticed a live CD seemed to do a better job with the video driver, but I have no recent experience with it now.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
    If the live CD identifies PC components and then knows which driver to use,
    And the installer is also identifying components I would think and using the same drivers as the live CD, so to me what is happening as you say, makes no sense.

Why would they design it to work that way. In the past, I noticed a live CD seemed to do a better job with the video driver, but I have no recent experience with it now.
    I've got a Dell Mini 1012. When I use the LiveUSB, I can use the internet just fine. However, when I install Ubuntu from the same USB, it doesn't let me use the nonexistent drivers.