Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sync files (very huge directory of files)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

sync files (very huge directory of files)

ubuntu hardy heron

I have amassed a great quantity of files, nearly 50,000 files (49,585 @ 9.6 gb). I have to carry these files with me to my office, as we can't trust the internet connection we have, so I can't keep my files on a web server. So I have a usb hard drive that I keep a copy of my Documents folder on.

My issue though, is that after I update my computer with new or edited files, I need to update the usb drive. My question then, concerns both stratagy and available software for keeping track. Of course, I could just keep up with what files I've edited, downloaded, or created, but I have a lot of interruptions in my job, and although my job is about 40% related to keeping up with all this content (editor, corpus manager, writer, curricula designer), about 60% of my job takes me away from my computer, so I just often can't keep up with my changes have been taking place.

I tried unison, but when I finished, I had to indivually approve all 50,000 files for the first sync--I quit after about 5,000. I was going to use GIT, the distrbutied version control history, but it has the same problem that when I initiallize, I have to wait forever and it bogs down my system so I can't work on other stuff, well, not efficiently.

I'm thinking maybe I can't really efficiently sync that many files, so I'm also thinking of a new strategy, which is this, now that I have identical copies of my Documents folders. Maybe I'll just create a new folder, like, Working directory, or something, and GIT it, and only track newer changes. The only problem with this is that means I'll be pulling my files in and out of their own folders and into the working directory folder and then back to the appropriate categorized folders that they came from or need to be added too, and I'll have to do this twice, once on my system hard drive, and once on my usb hard drive.

Any one with experience who can give me a better approach or strategy (software suggestions), I'd appreciate it.
    Last edited by ClarkePeters; May 9th, 2010 at 02:51 PM.
    the power of X: xhtml, xforms, xslt, xml

Beans

Re: sync files (very huge directory of files)

Last edited by SPr; May 9th, 2010 at 03:48 PM.
    Debian. 'nuff said.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Dropbox seems really cool, but there isn't a lot of info. Looks like it syncs across the web. As I said, at my office I can't trust the web, our servers get overloaded and it can take 20 minutes to download a single document, or worse, it will just go down altogether for a spell.

anyone else?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If you have a USB disk that you can leave all the files on I would use rsync (or the graphical grsync) on both home and office computers to sync to the USB drive. Simple, reliable, effective, quick after the first full sync.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I sure wish I could trust my internet connection cause dropbox looks really cool.

here is a youtube demo:
    dropbox demo

It seems that you only have to install it on your own computers and not on a server, you just link your desired folders to email addresses and you can sync your own files or share files instantly with others that have dropbox installed. if it works, it's an ingenius idea and wonder why no-one ever thought of this before.

at anyrate, I may use it to solve my other problems, but for the problem of this post, I still can't trust my internet connection, so I'm still brainstorming.

Beans

I really do not want to sit through that terrible video again so I can't be certain but I do believe that it will sync to USB drives.

I agree the information on that website is minimal at best but I have heard good reports about dropbox.
    Debian. 'nuff said.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

thanks john bean,
    I thought about rsync. I don't have a problem working through the first sync, but can you tell me, will I have to physically answer "yes" to allow syncing of each of the files? (this is what happened with unison). That would take me like hours to sync 50,000 files.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by ClarkePeters View Post
    thanks john bean,
    I thought about rsync. I don't have a problem working through the first sync, but can you tell me, will I have to physically answer "yes" to allow syncing of each of the files? (this is what happened with unison). That would take me like hours to sync 50,000 files.
    Install grsync and have a play. Setup is dead simple with all the common options available on a tabbed interface, operation is a button click away. No questions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

It might not be optimal but here's a workaround I've been using:

use the copy command with the -ur option (update older files and recurse subdirectories), copy USB flash drive content to Local folder and copy local folder to USB drive

exemple:
    Code:
    cp -ru /media/GEOFFUSB/Documents/ ~/
    cp -ru ~/Documents/ /media/GEOFFUSB/
    you might find these options useful:
    -L option if you want to copy symlink directories from the source as directories in the destination
    -i option if you want cp to ask confirmation before overwriting
    Last edited by geoffm; May 9th, 2010 at 08:17 PM.
    DELL XPS M1330 Core2
    Ubuntu 12.04 64

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I don't know about only a work around because that actually seems pretty simple and useful. I never realized you could copy only updated files (-u), so cool. I think I'll give it a go.

thanks geoffm.
    Last edited by ClarkePeters; May 9th, 2010 at 08:16 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast