Thread: Easier way to get necessary plugins.

Beans

Question Easier way to get necessary plugins.

I am relatively new to ubuntu and opensource in general. However, the concept of free and high quality software intrigues me. Sadly, living in Uganda I have a horrible internet connection and therefore, downloading plugins and programs is a real pain. So I was just wondering if there was any way besides downloading to get the aforementioned plugins and programs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Easier way to get necessary plugins.

Where u based in Uganda? If Kampala, we hold regular Linux User Group meetings http://www.linux.or.ug. I'd be happy to bring along a copy of Ubuntu+All the codecs.

I can do a aptoncd with the codecs on there. Let me know which ones your interested in.
    Last edited by Billynkid; May 9th, 2010 at 10:39 PM. Reason: New info

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Easier way to get necessary plugins.

Billynkid; he said he is pretty new to FOSS, i doubt if he has a very good idea what codecs or what applications he would want!
    If he could start with the custom build that you made [Props for you, there ], it would give him a stepping stone on what more he would need.

demontranoth; Attend of the LUG Meetings and you will definately get and learn everything you would need to know about FOSS.
    Of course not everything but enough for you as a beginner.

PS. FOSS is Free & Open Source Software

Beans

Smile Re: Easier way to get necessary plugins.

Billynkid and colindnl, I'm sorry i havent been able to reply to you but Internet has been down for ages now and so i could not check here for new replies. Thnak you very much for the offer billynkid and i will try my best to attend the next meeting but sadly i will be moving out of Uganda and to Morocco the 26th . colindnl was right when he said i didnt know what codecs or applications i want. I live in Uganda yes and more accurately, lubowa, where I also study (yes I'm still in school) at ISU.

thanks for the support,

Demontranoth