Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Headless GNOME VNC Server on Lucid Lynx Desktop

Beans

Lightbulb HOWTO: Headless GNOME VNC Server on Lucid Lynx Desktop

I had to do quite a lot of digging before I managed to work out how to do this. It turns out to be reasonably straight forward, and so here is my howto all in one place.

Objective: Connect to my Ubuntu (Lucid Lynx) Desktop machine (which does not have a screen or keyboard) using a remote desktop viewer and get my usual GNOME desktop interface. And have the desktop persist while I am not disconnected.

NOTE: I have recently discovered one niggly issue with some of the keys being messed up. 'm' and 's' in particular? I am looking into it and will update this post when I have resolved it.

The following steps were performed on a freshly installed version of Ubuntu 10.04-desktop. Just for clarity:
    Code:
    user@MyServer:~$ uname -r
    2.6.32-21-generic
    user@MyServer:~$ cat /etc/issue
    Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
    Install a VNC server. There is a choice of servers I chose the "tight" one.
    Code:
    user@MyServer:~$ sudo apt-get install tightvncserver
    Setup your VNC password. This password isn't very important as my setup will only allow for connections via SSH, so 123456 is what I used. One can possibly disable it?
    Code:
    user@MyServer:~$ vncpasswd
    At this point or the first time you run 'vncserver' (I forgot to check) the all important and much discussed ~/.vnc/xstartup file is auto generated. This is the make or break place where you can either get GNOME over VNC or not. My xstartup which required NO changes was:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh

xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
    xsetroot -solid grey
    #x-terminal-emulator -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
    #x-window-manager &
    # Fix to make GNOME work
    export XKL_XMODMAP_DISABLE=1
    /etc/X11/Xsession
    Give the VNC server a test, by running it from the command line.
    Code:
    user@MyServer:~$ vncserver

New 'X' desktop is Local:1

Creating default startup script /home/user/.vnc/xstartup
    Starting applications specified in /home/user/.vnc/xstartup
    Log file is /home/user/.vnc/Local:1.log
    Try connecting to the VNC server:
    Code:
    user@MyServer:~$ vinagre &
    * Click [Connect]
    * Select Protocol: VNC
    * Select Host: localhost:1
    * Click [Connect]
    Ok if that all worked then great!!! It all did for me and my machine was fresh from the CD.

Now we setup the VNC server to run all the time.
    There are a variety of ways of doing this. Since this howto requires the use of a SSH shell one could quite easily run the vncserver (as we did above to test it) and then disown (haven't tested if this is actually required) commands the first time you connect. This would leave the VNC server running until you used the vncserver --kill command. This would be a suitable approach if you had many different users wanting to have VNC GNOME desktops.

For convenience in a single user setup we can get the VNC server to be started at boot time:
    Code:
    user@MyServer:~$ sudo gedit /etc/init.d/vncserver.user &
    Make the contents of 'vncserver.user' (credits to some smart guy on some blog out there that I couldn't find again. and then I made a few improvements):
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh -e
    ### BEGIN INIT INFO
    # Provides: vncserver
    # Required-Start: networking
    # Default-Start: S
    # Default-Stop: 0 6
    ### END INIT INFO

PATH="$PATH:/usr/X11R6/bin/"

# The Username:Group that will run VNC
    export USER="user"
    #${RUNAS}

# The display that VNC will use
    DISPLAY="1"

# Color depth (between 8 and 32)
    DEPTH="16"

# The Desktop geometry to use.
    #GEOMETRY="x"
    GEOMETRY="800x600"
    #GEOMETRY="1024x768"
    #GEOMETRY="1280x1024"
    #GEMOETRY="1024x600"

SECURE="-localhost"

# The name that the VNC Desktop will have.
    NAME="My:VNC"

OPTIONS="-name ${NAME} -depth ${DEPTH} -geometry ${GEOMETRY} ${SECURE} :${DISPLAY}"
    #OPTIONS="-name ${NAME} -depth ${DEPTH} :${DISPLAY}"

. /lib/lsb/init-functions

case "$1" in
    start)
    log_action_begin_msg "Starting vncserver for user ‘${USER}’ on localhost:${DISPLAY}"
    su ${USER} -c "/usr/bin/vncserver ${OPTIONS}"
    ;;

stop)
    log_action_begin_msg "Stoping vncserver for user ‘${USER}’ on localhost:${DISPLAY}"
    su ${USER} -c "/usr/bin/vncserver -kill :${DISPLAY}"
    ;;

restart)
    log_action_begin_msg "Restarting vncserver for user ‘${USER}’ on localhost:${DISPLAY}"
    su ${USER} -c "/usr/bin/vncserver -kill :${DISPLAY}"
    su ${USER} -c "/usr/bin/vncserver ${OPTIONS}"
    ;;
    esac

exit 0
    Set the correct file permissions on 'vncserver'. And check them just for fun;
    Code:
    user@MyServer:~$ sudo chmod 755 /etc/init.d/vncserver.user 
    user@MyServer:~$ ls /etc/init.d/vncserver.user -l
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1210 2010-05-09 01:40 /etc/init.d/vncserver.user
    Install 'vncserver.user' to run as a service:
    Code:
    user@MyServer:~$ sudo update-rc.d vncserver.user defaults
    Restart the VNC server:
    Code:
    user@MyServer:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/vncserver.user restart
    Here you can attempt to connect the VNC server again using vinagre. If you want to do so, see above where we did it before. But I'm pretty sure it will work.

Ok if you look in the 'vncserver.user' script you will note I used the '-localhost' option. This permits the VNC server to accept connections only from localhost. Not very useful, unless we use SSH to forward in some ports.

Install a SSH server:
    Code:
    user@MyServer:~$ sudo apt-get install openssh-server
    Test the SSH server (type exit to leave the SSH shell if it connects sucessfully):
    Code:
    user@MyServer:~$ ssh localhost
    > exit
    Your Secure VNC server is now setup. So now we move to your RemotePC.

--oOo--

Firstly we need to check what of ssh, vnc and remote desktop clients you need to install:
    Code:
    user@RemotePC:~$ dpkg --get-selections | grep 'ssh\|vnc\|vinagre'
    In the output lines we are looking for the following three lines, there will be other lines, but we are only looking to see if these three are already installed:
    Code:
    openssh-client           install
    xtightvncviewer          install
    vinagre                  install
    If one or more of the above are missing install the relevant package with one of these commands. Naturally you don't HAVE to use these packages, but that is what this howto does:
    Code:
    user@RemotePC:~$ sudo apt-get install openssh-client
    user@RemotePC:~$ sudo apt-get install xtightvncviewer
    user@RemotePC:~$ sudo apt-get install vinagre
    You may have noted that I have been using MyServer and RemotePC to refer to different computers. In the commands that follow you will need to replace these with the relevant IP address or network names of your computers.

Test a basic SSH connection to your VNC server (MyServer). If it connects type 'exit' to disconnect again:
    Code:
    user@RemotePC:~$ ssh user@MyServer
    > exit
    Run 'Remote Desktop Viewer':
    Code:
    user@RemotePC:~$ vinagre &
    And now open a SSH connection, with a local port forwarding.
    The 127.10.0.1 is my choice for a local binding address on RemotePC from which to forward the port 5901 to the MyServer. The 127.0.0.1 is simply the address to which the port is forwarded from MyServer's perspective. The 5901 is basically 5900 + the VNC view number (:1):
    Code:
    user@RemotePC:~$ ssh -L 127.10.0.1:5901:127.0.0.1:5901 user@MyServer
    Now once the SSH connection is established, switch back to the 'Remote Desktop Viewer':
    Code:
    * Click [Connect]
    * Select Protocol: VNC
    * Select Host: 127.10.0.1:1
    * Click [Connect]
    And there you go. I hope it worked for you and has saved you a lot of time and hacking about with your "server" PC.

--oOo--

Chances are that you want this setup so that you can hide your MyServer away some place, possibly without even having a keyboard or screen attached. In this case here are a few more tips to achieve this:

Wake-On-Lan: Wikipedia This is a feature of a lot of network cards and BIOS's where you can switch the PC on remotely over a network. The configuration is purely a hardware and BIOS thing, no other changes are required on the system you wish to wake up. Unfortunately WOL does not work for WiFi, it has to be cable, though I have seen some interesting attempts at the same for WiFi.

There is a standard package for sending the wakeup packets:
    Code:
    user@RemotePC:~$ sudo apt-get install wakeonlan
    It is easy to do if the machine is on the same network, but a bit more trickey over the internet (and you usually need a machine nearby to do the waking).

Basically to wake a machine it must have its BIOS correctly configured, then you need the MAC address of its network card, which you can find with:
    Code:
    user@MyServer:~$ ifconfig
    eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 01:23:45:67:89:ab
              inet addr:192.168.1.45  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
              inet6 addr: fe70::214:aefe:fde6:f5e/64 Scope:Link
              UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:8
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
              RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
              Interrupt:251
    And then you run wakeonlan like so:
    Code:
    user@RemotePC:~$ wakeonlan 01:23:45:67:89:ab
    Wow! Cool!!

And of course if you can power it on remotely you will want to power it off remotely too. This is easier and you have the option of a variety of shell commands. Take a look at the following commands: shutdown, poweroff, pm-hibernate, pm-powersave, pm-suspend.

--oOo--

Above I used the 127.10.0.1 in the SSH port forwarding command. This is because I have done a fair bit of poor-mans VPN setups and I simply found that using localhost (127.0.0.1) can become constrictive. Especially if I am connecting to multiple machines at the same time. The 10 can actually be any number you like, my preference is just not zero.

If you don't understand SSH port forwarding I'm not surprised I didn't at first either. There is plenty of reading available on the subject.

You may also want to take time to make your SSH server on MyServer more secure by dis-allowing root user logins and only accepting Public Key accompanied logins. There are many other things you can do too. This is also well documented out there. So I'm not going to write yet-another.
    Last edited by regstraton; May 9th, 2010 at 05:22 PM.

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Headless GNOME VNC Server on Lucid Lynx Desktop

Hi !

Thank you very much guy !

Before the lucid update I was still using a normal X starting without password with GDM, but after update gdm not want to lauch without screen.

With your tips it works great, thanks

Beans

Awesome guide!

Any chance you got those 'm' and 's' problems sorted?

Beans

Excellent guide! Thank you. This is exactly what I have been looking for.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kytrix View Post
    Hi !

Before the lucid update I was still using a normal X starting without password with GDM, but after update gdm not want to laucnh without screen.
    Yes, it seems that the latest GDM has simply taken away the option to turn on XDMCP, which is what the X terminal uses to log in.

There's a crazy-long thread about this in Launchpad. But the issue is classed as "won't fix". There are some suggestions for editing configuration files by hand, which may or may not work for you. There's also a suggestion to use KDM. (Which I think was just meant to be sarcastic.)

Nick.

Beans

This is ALMOST what I need. The little last bit is that sound output is not working on "MyServer".

In my setup MyServer is connected to my stereo, so sound output in the vnc-session would be nice (not sound redirected back to the connecting client).

Otherwise, great work!

Beans

Thank you very much!

Beans

Thanks for the easy to follow instructions. I got things working as described, unfortunately without a monitor attached Ubuntu Lucid will still not boot. I guess I am back to grumbling and searching for a solution.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

My solution for the same problem:

Buy this one from eBay: 15Pin HD SVGA VGA Male to Female Gender Adapter Changer

Build one of these: http://www.soerennielsen.dk/mod/VGAdummy/index_en.php

I used 100 Ohm resistors, I read somewhere that anything from 50-150 will work just fine! It works even if you use a DVI to VGA adapter.
    Open mind, open source!
    Keep control of computer usage with timekpr
    Screensaver for Amarok? AmarokScreenSaver
    My (Norwegian) blog about motorcycles and MotoGP

Beans

It worked for me too. Now I can open a gnome session from my Windows notebook. I used putty.exe as ssh client and RealVncViewer as vnc client in the notebook.

Thanks a lot.

Alvaro
    Montevideo, Uruguay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast