Thread: backup and sync. solution

Beans
    Hidden!

backup and sync. solution

This is what I'm looking for:

I want to choose what folder(s) to backup to an external usb hard-drive. Once the initial backup has been completed the backup software should work as a daemon so it is alert as to when some file is changed and ONLY backup this. So if I delete some files from a folder the same files get deleted from the external drive. If I tag some music file the same file gets updated on the external drive. I think you get the idea. Dropbox does all this in a small scale and on the cloud. Is there such a thing?

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: backup and sync. solution

Hi,

just paste the following in a file, make the file executable, set it up in scheuled tasks and you've got your deamon...(each script should be in a different file)

If your files are all over the place use this script. (it'll create a path like /media/backup/path/to/folder1)
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    for folder in /path/to/folder1 /path/to/folder2 "/path/to folder/with a space in the name use quotes" /path/to/foldern
    do
    rsync -aPzvv --delete "$folder"/ /media/backup/"$folder"/
    done
    If your files are in one place like your home directory for example then use this script. (it'll create a path like /media/backup/folder1)
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    for folder in folder1 folder2 "folder 3" foldern
    do
    rsync -aPzvv --delete ~/"$folder"/ /media/backup/"$folder"/
    done
    If you want an hourly backup of your work files like what time machine does for Macs use this script. Change the folder options (paths/names) to suit your situation and dont forget to change the source path at the rsync command(the $folder vs /path/to/$folder). This will create an incremental backup with a path like /media/backup/path/to/folder/Backup-16-08-14 (backup taken at 04:08:14 PM). The first backup from yesterday will be recycled into the first backup for today (total 24 hours) and all changes will be propogated from the previous backup (1 hour ago in this case). This saves time by not deleting and recreating the backup image. The total space taken up by all the folders will be the first backup + changes since first backup.
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    for folder in /path/to/folder1 /path/to/folder2 "/path/to folder/with a space in the name use quotes" /path/to/foldern
    do
    date=$(date "+%H-%M-%S")
    date1=$(date --date="1 hour ago" "+%H-%M-%S")
    date24=$(date --date="24 hour ago" "+%H-%M-%S")
    mv /media/backup/"$folder"/Backup-$date24 /media/backup/"$folder"/Backup-$date
    cp -al /media/backup/"$folder"/Backup-$date1/. /media/backup/"$folder"/Backup-$date
    rsync -aPzvv --delete "$folder"/ /media/backup/"$folder"/Backup-$date/
    done
    Install task scheduler from the ubuntu software center and set the script up as a cron job. you can call it hourly or daily or however often you want. The first backup will take time after that it'll be a breeze.

Hope this helps...i just wrote the daily backup script for my server and its currently making the first backup...enjoy.
    Last edited by darthrax; May 12th, 2010 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Found a bug in the cp line. added a /. ahead of the source folder name to copy contents and not the entire folder.

Beans
    Hidden!

Hey, thanks for that...

I'm off just now but I'll give it a try tonight.

Thanks again

Beans
    Hidden!

I have since discovered Back in time which is a front end for rsync. It is very simple to use and does a very good job.