Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dell Inspiron 1501 + Coloured Vertical Lines

Beans

Dell Inspiron 1501 + Coloured Vertical Lines

When i boot off the install disc for Linux 10.04 it loads the little symbols down the bottom of the screen then they dissappear and Coloured Vertical Lines appear on my screen. How can i fix this?

I also downloaded the Text Based version of the install disc and i managed to install Linux fine but when i rebooted the Vertical Lines reappeared but i could still hear sounds so this leads me to believe it is a graphical error. Any help is much appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Dell Inspiron 1501 + Coloured Vertical Lines

What graphics card do you have?
    Code:
    lspci | grep VGA
    You can try booting into Recovery Mode. Hold down Shift while you boot and then select the recovery mode kernel.

Beans

Uninstalling the radeon driver worked for me:

Code:
    # apt-get remove xserver-xorg-video-radeon
    I guess this causes it to use a generic driver or something, however at least the box is useable now

Beans
    Distro

Hold down Shift while booting to get to grub. Then hit 'e' to edit, and remove "quiet splash". Ctrl+x to boot.

If that doesn't do anything, remove "quiet splash" again and replace it with "nomodeset".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Catharsis View Post
    Hold down Shift while booting to get to grub. Then hit 'e' to edit, and remove "quiet splash". Ctrl+x to boot.

If that doesn't do anything, remove "quiet splash" again and replace it with "nomodeset".
    I had the same issue, the "nomodeset" option worked for me in my Dell Inspiron 1501, with a little workarounds, when I logged in, the vertical lines come back, so I go to tty1 with ctrl-alt-f1 (vertical lines showing too) and then go back to ctrl-alt-f7.

Does someone fix the issue?

Thanks a lot Catharsis,

Beans
    Distro

Wait, what happens? I'm confused.

If the problem is that the fix doesn't work after you rebooted, that's because editing settings through grub doesn't make them permanent. To do that:
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub
    And add "nomodeset" to
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
    so it reads
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"
    then save and exit. Then:
    Code:
    sudo update-grub

Beans

I am having the same problem. The funny thing is for the first three times i booted into ubuntu, i had no issues, but now everytime i log in i get the vertical lines.

This laptop has a ATI Radeon Mobility Xpress 1150 graphics card (im assuming it's the standard one)

This is my first full installation of ubuntu that i'm actually trying to use and , i am actually a mac person and came across this laptop to play with linux on, so any help to get a fully functional radeon driver would be apprecated. I noticed when i boot into low-graphics mode it seems to use a ton more battery than when it uses the accelerated one.

Edit, so removing the Quiet Splash seems to work for now, i'll check back later and see what it's doing tomorrow... hopefully this fixed it
    Last edited by brad15; May 23rd, 2010 at 10:02 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks for your help, Catharsis. I didn't found the grub data because I've been upgrading Ubuntu since 8.04 with online updates. So I had to format my computer, the nomodeset option worked great.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Talking Re: Dell Inspiron 1501 + Coloured Vertical Lines

You fine folk are quite wonderful. I just had this problem and found this thread. The following instructions worked perfectly for me.

Thank you very much
    Buck

UPDATE++++++++++++++++

The above line failed to work. I re-edited it and took out the quiet splash and left only nomodset. This appears to work.

If the problem is that the fix doesn't work after you rebooted, that's because editing settings through grub doesn't make them permanent. To do that:
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub
    And add "nomodeset" to
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
    so it reads
    Code:
    then save and exit. Then:
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    +++++++++++ Another Update ++++++++++

The laptop is still having the problem. After it has been off over an hour, it boots with the vertical lines. The last time I just hit the enter key and it continued and booted to a normal screen.

Before this last occurrence I deleted the display driver according to the above instructions.

This is a 64 bit computer with 32 bit Ubuntu. Could that be part of the problem?

Thanks
    Buck
    Last edited by n4pgw; June 30th, 2010 at 05:53 PM. Reason: updated

Beans

I have the exact same problem on my Dell Vostro 1000. I found a workaround. I haven't had a chance to try the suggestions below. Hopefully I'll have time later on today. However, if your still having problems, try this.

You need to get to the GUI at least once (or find the command line commands). Set the power to the monitor to power down the monitor after 1 min.

Next time you boot up you'll have to guess when to type in your name and password. I have audio when mine comes up. At the first audio queue type your username and hit enter (The first audio queue may come after you do this. I don't remember.) Then type your password and hit enter. You should get the intro audio.

Now...just wait a minute for the screen to go black. When you wake it back up you should have your desktop staring you in the face. I shouldn't need to say a permanent solution is better. But if you still want to use your machines while trying to fix it, this will work. - S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast