Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Program like J.A.R.V.I.S.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: A Program like J.A.R.V.I.S.

Such a thing should be possible, though difficult.

1. To recognize commands, the PATH needs to be searched and list of all commands can be searched.

2. Each command has its own syntax and options. Which can be found in the man pages (is there another way??).

Doing 1 is very easy while doing 2 is the toughest (making a program understand man pages???)

The part which reads articles is also tough but not impossible. My initial idea was to do google search when the user says "world war 2" and then the user can select a link. Jarvis can then read the contents of that page.

Beans

Hi,
    I am from VEDICS team. J.A.R.V.I.S was one of the initial inspiration in developing VEDICS. We thought it would be awesome if we try to atleast do 20% for what JARVIS could do. And we are more than happy with how much we have achieved with VEDICS.
    Vedics cant do dictation and pronunciation currently, but it lets you access almost everything in the OS.

Now coming to what @mcolman44 said, we can definitely add small questions, which vedics can recognize and reply. We plan to add dictation and pronunciation feature to VEDICS in the near future. So what mcolman44 said in his first post is actually very much possible.

But making an application understand the meaning of a sentence and then take appropriate steps, is at present very difficult (not impossible). This feature taps into the field of artificial intelligence, which can be a big project in itself.
    I agree with what NISCHAL said.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Well, for a more complete program I would agree with both 1 and 2. But my idea is for it to be up to the user which commands are listed and stored by Jarvis. I wouldn't want all utils and commands listed in the program. The user could add only the coomands he/she needs. And then link those commands to key words chosen by the user.

Something like:
    if key words Clean, downloads, folder were heard then it would link those words to a particular command predefined by the user. Then the idea would be for it to echo something like "downloads folder cleaned Mr Coleman" ( I realize that may sound stupid, but I would still enjoy it).

Another idea would be for it to be connected to a webcam. I use a program called motion that will cause my webcam to take a picture for any movement in sight. If I could get my computer to do certain tasks when the webcam detects motion it would be great. I'm taking a look at your source code right now. I'm a bit sleepy at the moment but if you don't mind Id like to ask you some questions about it tomorrow.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

@coleman:
    Hi, I am another developer of VEDICS, sure you can ask us anything about the source code...

and for the rest, what you ask for is actually possible but then the user would have to actually define all the commands himself, which sort of takes away the charm of AI interaction, it would just be a repeater of whatever commands I set.
    Also defining/selecting the keywords would be a big headache, if the user customizes it then there are possibilities of clashes... for e.g. if I have Downloads and downloads folders in my home folder, what should be done??
    But all said and done, it is still doable...

As for the webcam thing you mentioned, this software created by Lionhead studios does something like that...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxU_T7C4Ils

Beans
    Distro

I still want the AI bit. I really like the idea of combining voice control and a chatbot/infobot like ubunterooster mentioned. I also think it would be almost impossible to come up with a program to filter my words and options located in the man pages to a final command. It would be programming hell. Which is why it would be nice if the program also had a place to add custom commands to the code.

As for the Downloads, downloads problem, some logic code would have to be added. Say if I said that, Jarvis would argue that there are two folders by that name. Or since Linux is case sensitive I could have the custom command define Downloads, not downloads.

And I love the idea of AI, but for a program like this I think a few pre-defined commands are needed. Because let's face it, AI isn't all that ready yet. But I think a combination of the two would work
    nicely. Jarvis could learn to converse with me while at the same time being able to function exactly the way I the user would want him too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Well this is something pretty close. Although it's done from a Mac Mini, still pretty cool though what this kid has created. Check out his YouTube vids.

Beans
    Distro

@tmette, I've seen his videos and his webpage, and I agree that what he has is awesome so far. Problem is, one ist made only for a mac, an two he's been saying he'll make it
    open source for a while now, and it's still not. But what he has now is what got me
    thinking
    this was actualy possible in the first place.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by mcoleman44 View Post
    @tmette, I've seen his videos and his webpage, and I agree that what he has is awesome so far. Problem is, one ist made only for a mac, an two he's been saying he'll make it
    open source for a while now, and it's still not. But what he has now is what got me
    thinking
    this was actualy possible in the first place.
    Yea, I would love to see this become open source. I do have a MacbookPro but I'm sure it wouldn't take long for something like this to run on Ubuntu if he made it open source on OSX.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi all, I'm working on a system like jarvis and hopefully soon open the source.

You can check the project page http://sites.google.com/site/projectjanet/

I will open a dedicate post when I'm ready!

Thanks!
    Last edited by jambel; June 22nd, 2010 at 02:32 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mcoleman44 View Post
    If I could get my computer to do certain tasks when the webcam detects motion it would be great.
    or you can use your cellphone's bluetooth which supported by jaNET 8)
    Here you can find the responsible file for building custom instructions or command sets which I call.

To get an idea how the project works, check the project definition page.

you can also view some videos here (they are lame but that's ok).

Maybe we should marry VEDICS and jaNET
    Last edited by jambel; June 22nd, 2010 at 02:51 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast