Thread: What can I use for backups that is faster then rsync?

Beans
    Hidden!

What can I use for backups that is faster then rsync?

I am currently backing up my data but find that it takes way to long to do a rsync, it takes forever to just find the differences and transfer them.

Out of 3 separate rsyncs the main one that is slow is my www.skins.be mirror directory which is 41GB and has 392,200 files, sorted into multiple directories. Which grows by around 100 every couple days.

I think that something that would be able to track changes by inotify time on directories will speed it up since Picasa sure finds the changes fast when I open it and it is tracking over 26,200 pictures. I just don't know of a backup solution that does that.

The target is a external hard drive.
    Running Linux From Scratch for over 7 and a half years on my desktop
    Running Ubuntu on my laptop since I bought it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: What can I use for backups that is faster then rsync?

Your problem most likely isn't rsync but the USB (I assume) connection to your external harddrive. rsync will try to compare each and every single file with the file on your external drive and I suspect that you're hitting the ~25 MB/s limitation of the USB2 implementation.

you may see massive performance improvements when using eSATA.

Other than that, and from my own experience the only real solution is to let your software write an update log and then do the copying yourself through a small bash script.
    True warriors don't follow paths - they make them.
    It's not their desire, it's their nature.

Beans
    Hidden!

No it is not a speed issue since I when rsync copies data I only get a third of the speed that a "cp" gives
    Running Linux From Scratch for over 7 and a half years on my desktop
    Running Ubuntu on my laptop since I bought it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

that's because of the protocol overhead of USB.
    True warriors don't follow paths - they make them.
    It's not their desire, it's their nature.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The reason it takes so long to find the differences is.. drum roll please...

392,200 files
    wow.. that's a serious filesystem. I have put together servers using maildir for a couple of hundred clients that didn't have that many files.

Your best bet for speeding up backups is using SSD, using a filesystem better suited your type of I/O, having the right hardware -- fast drives, bus, etc.. and as mentioned by @LoneWolfJack, not going through USB.

Looking at rsync as the weak link in the chain is not going to get you very far in speeding up your backups.