Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is it possible to use an ISO file without burning it to a disk?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Is it possible to use an ISO file without burning it to a disk?

Quote Originally Posted by camn View Post
    I already have Windows 7 on VirtualBox, I just want a full install so I can print stuff...
    Yeah , dats what i'm talking about . YOu can do a full install of windows via Vmware in your linux . That is , when u install windows within vmware in linux host , You can choose to install it in a real physical partition instead of a creating a virtual disk . So , it will install it in a real partition on your hard disk .

I suppose that after install , you can edit the grub files and boot to windows directly . If you do this , please do it with caution . i hope u get the point .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by theneoindian View Post
    Yeah , dats what i'm talking about . YOu can do a full install of windows via Vmware in your linux . That is , when u install windows within vmware in linux host , You can choose to install it in a real physical partition instead of a creating a virtual disk . So , it will install it in a real partition on your hard disk .

I suppose that after install , you can edit the grub files and boot to windows directly . If you do this , please do it with caution . i hope u get the point .
    Ohh... vairy fancy And I tried installing VMware first but I couldn't figure it out... I ended up loosing the registration key and forgetting which e-mail I used... so too much work

Beans

Not really splitting the ISO, just transferring memory from a USB stick to a CD... So say the USB stick has 2 GB of memory... and the disk has 1 GB... Would it be possible to transfer the 2 GB of memory from the USB stick to the disk making it have 3 GB of memory?
    But I shall try doing what you said...
    If I understand what you're saying correctly, no you can't transfer memory from a USB drive to a CD. Also, the procedure I described may not work at all, and may mess up your system as well; proceed at your own peril...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by freeze10108 View Post
    ^I don't think that it's possible to split an iso like that.

---

In theory, I think that if you were to extract the iso to a new partition and boot from it, you could boot into the Windows 7 installer. You'd probably need to create an NTFS partition beforehand so that Windows would have a partition to install to. After installation, you'd need to delete the partition that contained the iso files and expand the Windows partition.

However, as with many things, what seems good in theory will be riddled with intricacies and possible errors everywhere down the line. This is, however, a risk you run when using "legal" methods to obtain files.
    Ok, sorry... I'm a very-much-noob to Ubuntu, how would I partition the HD? And I'm not concerned about errors that much.. I could just re-install ubuntu...

Beans

Ok, sorry... I'm a very-much-noob to Ubuntu, how would I partition the HD? And I'm not concerned about errors that much.. I could just re-install ubuntu...
    I haven't had to use the partition editor out of the installations for a while now, but if memory serves: booting from the LiveCD, go to System -> Administration -> Partition Editor. From there, you'll have to fiddle around with the partitions, which I found fairly intuitive the first time I did it, and make sure you don't set your Ubuntu partition to be formatted, or you'll lose all your data.

I'll boot into my LiveCD right now to check the location of the program...

Beans
    Distro

I haven't had to use the partition editor out of the installations for a while now, but if memory serves: booting from the LiveCD, go to System -> Administration -> Partition Editor. From there, you'll have to fiddle around with the partitions, which I found fairly intuitive the first time I did it, and make sure you don't set your Ubuntu partition to be formatted, or you'll lose all your data.

I'll boot into my LiveCD right now to check the location of the program...
    Oh, I have the partition editor up now... I just have no ****ing idea how to use it :3 EDIT: Oh... That's the disk utility... If that's the same thing ._.

Beans

Okay, i just checked my LiveCD, and it's: System -> Administration -> GParted, which is not tbe same as Disk Utility. The program's not included with the initial install, so you will need to use the LiveCD to start the program.

Beans
    Distro

Okay, i just checked my LiveCD, and it's: System -> Administration -> GParted, which is not tbe same as Disk Utility. The program's not included with the initial install, so you will need to use the LiveCD to start the program.
    LiveCD? ._.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Closed for review.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123