Thread: WHere is all my ram???

Beans

WHere is all my ram???

Ok, I know for a fact that I have 4 gigs of physical ram, but Ubuntu tells me I only have 2.8. Why is this??? Any help would be appreciated.

Beans

Re: WHere is all my ram???

Are you running 32 or 64 bit Ubuntu ?

32 bit will see much less than 4 gig, and if you have integrated graphics taking shared memory, you will be left with even less.

Beans

Yea, it's 32 bit (unfortunately). As long as I'm still using all of it, I'm ok, I guess, I just want to make sure that 1.2 isn't just going to waste.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Cool Re: WHere is all my ram???

So the OS can "see" all four gigs of ram you need to use the 64 bit version of Ubuntu
    If at first you don't succeed - just buy the company and tell them to make the one you want.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Doesn't ubuntu has PAE?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The desktop version does not have PAE. You can install the kernel from the server and get that working.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by bustedbit View Post
    Yea, it's 32 bit (unfortunately). As long as I'm still using all of it, I'm ok, I guess, I just want to make sure that 1.2 isn't just going to waste.
    Well yeah, it is going to waste. A 32-bit system can only see 4 GiB of RAM in total, INCLUDING any memory that is sitting inside peripherals in your computer or chipsets on your motherboard.

So, if you have a 512MiB graphics card, that 512 MiB is taken out of the 4 GiB of addressable memory. That portion of your RAM is sitting idle, unaddressable.

If you use a PAE kernel or a 64-bit system, then you have much more address space, and the parts of your computer that have their own memory can be addressed without overlapping your RAM.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.