Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10.04: Gmail support in indicator applet

Beans

10.04: Gmail support in indicator applet

Currently the indicator applet uses Evolution for my e-mail, I wonder if it is possible to change this. As a gmail user, I've become used to the message grouping in gmail, so I can't get back to outlook/evolution/whatever. So I'd like to make the "Mail" button in the indicator applet point me to mail.google.com instead.

Similarly it should not download the mails to my computer, but rather work like google talk, gmail notifier or similar applications.

Is anything similar possible? I guess a great share of the Ubuntu users is using gmail, so I guess I'm not the only one with this problem...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: 10.04: Gmail support in indicator applet

Quote Originally Posted by P3t3r View Post
    Currently the indicator applet uses Evolution for my e-mail, I wonder if it is possible to change this. As a gmail user, I've become used to the message grouping in gmail, so I can't get back to outlook/evolution/whatever. So I'd like to make the "Mail" button in the indicator applet point me to mail.google.com instead.

Similarly it should not download the mails to my computer, but rather work like google talk, gmail notifier or similar applications.

Is anything similar possible? I guess a great share of the Ubuntu users is using gmail, so I guess I'm not the only one with this problem...
    I have my email with gmail routed through evolution and whenever you receive mail, the icon turns green. I didn't even bother installing the gmail notifier since evolution already has an applet in the system tray to handle email notifications.

Beans

There are some notifiers for gmail in the repositories. You might like checkgmail, or gnome-gmail-notifier.

Just bring up Synaptic, and search on gmail.

I thought I read somewhere that the notifier that comes with Ubuntu would be expanded to include various other mail services such as gmail, but I don't see any evidence of it so far.

Hope this helps.

Beans

So it is not possible to mix the functionality of gnome-gmail-notifier with the indicator applet? This "works" but it's kind of awkward that I now have 2 email icons in my taskbar (and still no direct "compose message" that works as it's supposed to: opening the browser and composing new message).

Beans

So it is not possible to mix the functionality of gnome-gmail-notifier with the indicator applet? This "works" but it's kind of awkward that I now have 2 email icons in my taskbar (and still no direct "compose message" that works as it's supposed to: opening the browser and composing new message).
    As far as I can tell, you're correct that it's not possible. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, however.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You can remove the Evolution envelope from the indicator applet with:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove indicator-messages
    or do it in Synaptic. It's trivially easy to add a gmail launcher to any panel, just put something like:
    Code:
    gnome-open https://mail.google.com/mail
    as the command in a new custom launcher.

Beans

If you like the new indicator system, but want to use gmail without using evolution, you could try gm-notify

http://bleedingpaper.com/gm-notify/

You can download the package there. If you want to remove _just_ evolution from the indicator applet (since you would be using gm-notify) just remove the evolution-indicator package. All together its

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gm-notify-maintainers/ppa
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install gm-notify
    sudo apt-get remove evolution-indicator

(You'll have to log out before the evolution indicator dissapears)
    Last edited by goehle; May 9th, 2010 at 01:41 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by goehle View Post
    If you like the new indicator system, but want to use gmail without using evolution, you could try gm-notify

You can download the package there. If you want to remove _just_ evolution from the indicator applet (since you would be using gm-notify) just remove the evolution-indicator package. All together its

sudo apt-get update

Aah yes, that is a major improvement, thanks!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Talking Re: 10.04: Gmail support in indicator applet

Quote Originally Posted by goehle View Post

sudo apt-get update

Thank you for this. I had the same question and this did exactly what I wanted it to do!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast