Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: LGP - Disciples 2 , when?

Beans

Re: LGP - Disciples 2 , when?

I also would love to see Sacred2 or some other high quality cRPG being ported to Linux.

ELD : why do you think there is no chance for Sacred2 being ported to Linux ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MaximB View Post
    I also would love to see Sacred2 or some other high quality cRPG being ported to Linux.

ELD : why do you think there is no chance for Sacred2 being ported to Linux ?
    I'm not saying i wouldn't mind it, the screenshots do look good.

If LGP was doing the port i wouldn't cross my fingers on it seeing the light of day.

If someone else was to port, i wish them the best of luck.

I'm going on the basis of history with LGP here, I'm not bashing for the sake of it, just going by facts as i and others have pointed out.

Beans

Michael once said that some games need the people with the right approach to port them.
    I guess he couldn't yet find those people for those 2 games.
    But other games from LGP took much less time to port., and they are working on few other announced titles.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MaximB View Post
    Michael once said that some games need the people with the right approach to port them.
    I guess he couldn't yet find those people for those 2 games.
    But other games from LGP took much less time to port., and they are working on few other announced titles.
    Your first point - well yeah that is obvious to anyone with half a brain.

Second point - What 2 games are you referring to? If your referring to the games pointed out in this thread "Disciples 2" and "Bandits" well you are a bit misinformed since LGP are supposed to be already porting them (we are into many years now though!) as pointed out.

Shadowground/Survivor LGP didn't do any porting work on, they simply "Publish" them.

As pointed out for your third point, they constantly say they are "working" on ports, to use the previous two games again as examples, they almost never come to life.

Beans

I do mean "Disciples 2" and "Bandits" , but I do not think (nor do I think you think so ) that all they do is sitting all day and trying to port those 2 games.
    They bought the license to port those games years ago, but maybe they haven't yet *really* started to port them - maybe they left (at least D2) to some other porter to port.

Igios did port SG and SG:S , but I don't know how LGP was involved with the porting process (maybe they did more then just publish the game...)

Those are just speculations and we might never know the real answer if LGP won't tell us.

But as you can see apart from those 2 DNF ports, all the other ports got eventually released.

Beans

"Disciples 2" and "Bandits" are being ported by LGP as we have already stated, their product pages even tell you so.

Bandits has been in "BETA" for as long as i can ever remember. I have made my feelings pretty clear on the matter, as a matter of fact my feelings are the opposite to what you think, i do think they are basically sitting on their thumbs doing nothing, as there is no shred of evidence to say otherwise. CK already pointed out how long it has been for both the ports, all of which is fact.

LGP is only the publisher for Shadowgrounds/Survivor as i already said, they stated it themselves.
    A direct quote from their blog "We discussed it with Igios, who were doing all the hard work".

We are not here to discuss ports that have already been done MaximB so don't bring them into it. Yes they eventually got released, i can read their website, we are talking about their currently silence, current tactics and just outright silence to their customer base.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ELD View Post
    "Disciples 2" and "Bandits" are being ported by LGP as we have already stated, their product pages even tell you so.

Bandits has been in "BETA" for as long as i can ever remember. I have made my feelings pretty clear on the matter, as a matter of fact my feelings are the opposite to what you think, i do think they are basically sitting on their thumbs doing nothing, as there is no shred of evidence to say otherwise. CK already pointed out how long it has been for both the ports, all of which is fact.

LGP is only the publisher for Shadowgrounds/Survivor as i already said, they stated it themselves.
    A direct quote from their blog "We discussed it with Igios, who were doing all the hard work".

We are not here to discuss ports that have already been done MaximB so don't bring them into it. Yes they eventually got released, i can read their website, we are talking about their currently silence, current tactics and just outright silence to their customer base.
    Maybe they got stuck at some point and decided to port other games ? (that what basically happened, the port was announced at 2003, meanwhile they released a few games).

Anyways, the thing is that I basically agree with all the other points.
    I also think that LGP should be more involved in the community and not leave us ion the dark.
    I also think they they need to update us with their porting process, considering the fact that some people did preorder those games.
    I also think that LGP should in some way discuss with the community on what games they want to be ported (maybe not specific games, but genres).

So I could just post "yep, I agree with you guys" ... but then it won't be interesting, would it ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Root issue here -- Doesn Simms take viable responsiblity for what his vested interest in the linux gaming world is? ie when he says something does he, and or his company as a whole, deliver? Invariably this has been a grey area discussion, because while delivery of whatever it is (Sacred for example), it took quite a bit longer than was previously assumed it would take, it "eventually" saw the light of day. This could easily be coincided with LGP's community involvement (which the blog aside is absolute zero, and no, I dont count a person spewing a few lines in an irc channel either), A clearer roadmap on current projects (Also totally non-existent), and a general concensus from the player community about suggested ports (as of now, its really only what Michael Simms decides should be ported, not what users want).

All that said, I believe that Sacred 2 will probably NEVER get ported to a linux machine natively. There are a few reasons for this. First and foremost, because of its stupid inclusion in the Games For Windows initiative. This software certification aspect brought a variety of things with it (Specifically certain Vista compability elements coded into the game, Windows Media center support also hard coded, and other general issues). So Im not holding my breath, and in reality, I dont think anyone else should either. (Unless your a wine fan, and then I think its a Gold level game, so it might work).

Suffice to say, while LGP's efforts are admireable for what they do, they dont do certain things and thats why they give the appearance of being both aloof, and disconnected from the community. Something that surely hurts. them.

Beans

After some more research i would like to again point out the fact that they are sitting on their thumbs.

MaximB you constantly say they are working on their ports as they tell all of us, but there is no proof.

Also this:
    Maybe they got stuck at some point and decided to port other games ? (that what basically happened, the port was announced at 2003, meanwhile they released a few games).
    You realise out of all they games LGP has "released" since they announced those two "ports" that 8 of them they didn't do any work on to port, they merely "publish" them. So i would like to point out again that they have been sitting by and as far as we can all see, doing nothing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

ELD, are you pointing at the releases of Postal 2, Candy Cruncher, ShadowGrounds, Gorky17, ColdWar, and JetsNGuns? Because as far as I can tell (I know for a fact that Gordon ported Postal 2) no work on those games was actually ever done by Simms himself.

Thats a pretty sad state when the games that keep you afloat arent actually games that your company ported itself?

Total dreck.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast