Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: LGP - Disciples 2 , when?

Beans

Re: LGP - Disciples 2 , when?

ELD : I don't think they will disappear so fast (or at least I hope not), they did port Sacred Gold (themselves this time) and released it at 2009, which is only a year ago.

CK : there might no be more companies who port games to Linux except LGP and Igios but there are a few freelancers like Ryan C. Gordon and Timothee Besset.

I remember reading about their different philosophies on porting games to Linux,

While LGP says that the game should come as one Linux package Ryan says that the port should come as an additional installer to the Windows version (like he actually make them most of the time).
    I support LGP on this as with Ryan we contribute to the Windows sales and not to the Linux ones.

Beans

At the end of the day if they don't get enough word out their about their games (apart from us lot i see hardly anyone ever advertise them good or otherwise) then as a business they won't operate past a few years, they said it themselves it costs them a lot.
    Yet another reason for them to pull their fingers out and do something.

They may never tell us it happens, we all know how cheap it is to keep a website running nowadays so they could hide behind their silence as they always have. Not that i want that to happen mind you.

Their are many other people who port to Linux, id (quake 4, doom 3 etc), Hemisphere (Osmos) etc etc etc, to say their are no more companies to port is a stupidly massive overstatement.
    For case and fact -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...x_Game_Porters (there are many, many more nowadays but this is a very incomplete list, just using it to show a point).

I'm not saying all this to hate them, i will probably buy Shadowgrounds + survivor at some point, i just want them to be more open with us about what is going on.
    Last edited by ELD; May 11th, 2010 at 03:19 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I fail to see how developing an linux installer creates more revenue for a Windows based game (where said native installer uses the existing Windows based mediums). The installer runs the game natively on your system.

The primary reason I bought my copy of ut2003, and ut2004 respectively was because of the inclusion of the loki native installer. The same held true for my purchase of quakewars (and I know a variet of individuals who did the exact same, and hold the same opinion). Quake 4...same deal. Quake 3, same deal. Quake 2 (I actually bought a boxed copy of that, but different time it was then). In the end its all a medium, and nothing more.

And in reality, that statement, MaximB, only continues to diverge from the topic, which is whether LGP can be held accountable for their release schedule, and their ability to release in a timely and aggreeable fasion, and their inability to communicate about their direction and current status of work.

If none of these can or will improve, then how can a community depend on them for the things that community requires.

Its simple...The community cannot.

And anyone continuing to support them only becomes a party to their behaviours, and as such continues to contribute to the very same behaviours we are trying to stop from happening.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by compiledkernel View Post
    I fail to see how developing an linux installer creates more revenue for a Windows based game (where said native installer uses the existing Windows based mediums). The installer runs the game natively on your system.

The primary reason I bought my copy of ut2003, and ut2004 respectively was because of the inclusion of the loki native installer. The same held true for my purchase of quakewars (and I know a variet of individuals who did the exact same, and hold the same opinion). Quake 4...same deal. Quake 3, same deal. Quake 2 (I actually bought a boxed copy of that, but different time it was then). In the end its all a medium, and nothing more.

And in reality, that statement, MaximB, only continues to diverge from the topic, which is whether LGP can be held accountable for their release schedule, and their ability to release in a timely and aggreeable fasion, and their inability to communicate about their direction and current status of work.

If none of these can or will improve, then how can a community depend on them for the things that community requires.

Its simple...The community cannot.

And anyone continuing to support them only becomes a party to their behaviours, and as such continues to contribute to the very same behaviours we are trying to stop from happening.
    You said it yourself, you buy box (or other) versions of WINDOWS games.
    id software and other companies consider it as a WINDOWS sale.
    They have no way of knowing if you bought it because it also has a native Linux installer.
    But if you buy a Linux port (full Linux game) then they can count the Linux only sales.

Even if LGP won't hear our call we still need to support it (if you like the games, that is...) , I know we have other porters - but the more the better.

Beans

The whole buying it = it being counted as a windows game sale i pointed out to CK earlier to which I think he agrees.

At the end of the day MaximB you are going way off-topic here, the point is to discuss LGP's lack of communication not what we seemed to have gotten into.

I think this thread has served is purpose unless anyone else has anything to add?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ELD View Post
    The whole buying it = it being counted as a windows game sale i pointed out to CK earlier to which I think he agrees.

At the end of the day MaximB you are going way off-topic here, the point is to discuss LGP's lack of communication not what we seemed to have gotten into.

I think this thread has served is purpose unless anyone else has anything to add?
    You are right, I was off topic.

So what do you suggest us to do on this matter ?
    Bomb LGP with emails about it ?
    Make a petition ?

Not trying to be funny here, but if they won't listen now - what shall we do about it ?

Beans
    Distro

Encourage other avenues of developement.

Wolfire games.

Shrapnel games.

Frictional games.

Egeneisis games - A tale in the desert devs.

Introversion games.

Battlefront games - Developed Dropteam, but could be encouraged to develop other linux titles.

Basilisk Games.

S2 Games.

Anawiki games.

These companies all make quality native linux games. We should encourage them as much, if not more than LGP. LGP is only a small portion of the commercial linux gaming community. Why there is such a dependence on them is beyond me.

Beans

We already do encourage them (most of them), and they continue releasing Linux ports of their games because of our support.

It's not that if I'll buy an LGP title I won't buy other titles, at least not in my case.

(I have read someone begging at S2Games forums to let him play HoN for free because he doesn't have any money - sad story).

Beans
    Distro

Certainly not the point MaximB, merely that a number of users put a large emphasis on what LGP does, when in actuality they do less than a 10% amount of commercial contribution to the linux gaming world as a whole.
    Last edited by compiledkernel; May 11th, 2010 at 10:22 PM.

Beans

I don't know who closed this thread or why, but I have re-open it.
    elementary OS Luna
    My Screenshot

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast