Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 10.04 using the Ralink RT2860 WiFi chipset (e.g. EeeBox B202)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 using the Ralink RT2860 WiFi chipset (e.g. EeeBox B202)

DPO_RT3562_3592_3062_LinuxSTA_V2.4.1.1_20101217
    I don't know how or if it's possible to get this relative old-timer to work with your 2.6.39 kernel. If it were me, I'd try to get rt2800pci working; perhaps with newer firmware. Would you care to start a new thread and leave the link here?
    make: *** [LINUX] Error 2
    For your reference and for the searchers, when you get this message, stop; everything else following will be erroneous as well. As the old saying goes, "You can't make a silk purse out of a Linux make error."
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by UnderPar View Post
    I found this thread via a search for RT2760, the wireless card in my daughter's dual-boot WinXP/Ubuntu 10.04.

I just upgraded to the Belkin N750 DB router from the version just below it and couldn't get her card to connect, due to the WPA security setting. The fix instructions in this thread are way above my Linux skill set, so I instead just disabled security completely, and used the MAC Address filtering to add all of the allowed devices in the house.

This solved her connection problem, but I am wondering if there is any danger to this method. Thanks.
    Updating to 11.10 solved the wireless card problem.

Beans

thanks a lot, this works like a charm.
    this driver problem with my msi wind U100 netbook kept bugging me for months!!
    tried many things, but only this solutions seems to work smoothly.

Beans

Same problem on my machine (HP mini 110).

Note: though the following procedure is a relatively elementary and easy process to effect a Lucid UNR 10.04 Live CD wireless connection, it is manually labour intensive, particularly step 2. This compromises the very essence of a computer to automate tasks.

1. Ralink wireless driver (my RT3090 uses the RT2860 driver) does not function with Ubuntu UNR 10.04. (run from Live CD - actually from a Live SD write locked SD card created as Live USB)

2. Once driver is functioning, connections to non-broadcasting SSID routers fail.

These steps will make the connection ...

1. requires:
    Code:
    sudo su
    mkdir -p /etc/Wireless/RT2860STA/
    touch /etc/Wireless/RT2860STA/RT2860STA.dat
    service network-manager restart
    exit
    and
    2. requires
    Code:
    sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid <non-broadcast  SSID> key s:<ASCII passcode string>
    1. The first command sequence fixes:
    Code:
    dmesg | grep RT
    [   35.973068] RtmpOSFileOpen(): Error 2 opening  /etc/Wireless/RT2860STA/RT2860STA.dat
    [   35.973078] Open file "/etc/Wireless/RT2860STA/RT2860STA.dat" failed!
    [   36.297303] RtmpOSFileOpen(): Error 2 opening  /etc/Wireless/RT2860STA/RT2860STA.dat
    [   36.297312] Open file "/etc/Wireless/RT2860STA/RT2860STA.dat" failed!
    [  200.006646] Read file "/etc/Wireless/RT2860STA/RT2860STA.dat"  failed(errCode=0)!

The second terminal command is needed in Ubuntu to coerce the protocol connection from Network Manager while Dis/En-abling Wireless Networking.

ref:

Ubuntu can not connect a wireless RaLink RT3090 to a hidden network

Re: Can't connect to hidden wireless in Ubuntu 10.10
    Last edited by nowifi; February 13th, 2012 at 11:08 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Wouldn't it work better and permanently to actually write a .dat file with the required items in it??? For example, minimally:
    Code:
    #The word of "Default" must not be removed
    SSID=whatever
    NetworkType=Infra
    WirelessMode=9
    AuthMode=WEPAUTO
    EncrypType=WEP
    DefaultKeyID=1
    Key1Type=1
    Key1Str=yoursecretkey
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Perhaps - but

1. the Live CD would need to be recast with that personalized custom .dat file - it would have been best if the 10.04 UNR Live CD pressing had been configured with the generic null /etc/Wireless/RT2860STA/RT2860STA.dat file present and not missing, to at least avoid the dmesg | grep RT error
    2. the proposed .dat file has a visible machine resident clear text copy of the pass code which is permanently there as opposed to a transient pass code manifestation when invoking a connection via sudo iwconfig ... - a compromise would be to have a script with everything but the pass code defined so that on execution the pass code is typed as a requested parameter and thus not permanently resident in a file on the machine - an advantage to binding the script to both NM and sudo iwconfig ... is that it masks the extra sudo iwconfig ... overhead - I require that the pass code be typed into NM on every connect anyway
    3. gconf-editor /system/networking/connections/ ... registers Network Manager's configuration for connection attempts to non-broadcasting SSID routers and it appears to be NM's limitatons that is the short fall which can be monitored with sudo iwlist scan though it appears that changing the software for the RT2860 driver and not NM may resolve the non-broadcasting SSID router connect problem - however, there is a large volume of anecdotal information about NM's failure to connect other wireless hardware with non-broadcasting SSID routers
    4. it would be best if the UNR 10.04 symbiosis of RT2860 wireless driver and NM worked properly, circumventing the obtuse need for sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid <hidden SSID> key s:<ASCII password string> to coerce a connection
    Last edited by nowifi; February 14th, 2012 at 09:30 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I appreciate everyone's hard work and effort regarding this problem. I tried following these instructions on my Lenovo IdeaPad Z575, with the RT3090 chipset and according drivers, and I still can't get anything to work. The "addithional drivers" dialog box tells me that the "rt3090sta" module is activated and in use, but network manager says that the "Device is not ready" under Wireless. If I run "modprobe rt3090sta," no message appears. I get no output at all. I think the wireless may be soft-blocked but I forget the command to unblock it. It is "enabled" according to the network manager's context menu, and the Additional Drivers configurator, but I can't get it to work.

edit: solved, it was kind of strange. In short I had to blacklist asus_wmi as well.
    Last edited by gdea73; March 15th, 2012 at 11:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Let's have a peek at:
    Code:
    dmesg | grep rt2
    rfkill list all
    Thanks.

Beans

I just want to say a big thanks to your Sven for taking the time to write all the instructions in your post. Having had problems with my wifi on the eee-901 for many months, stumbling across your post has worked wonders! Thanks. Now I havecompletely stable wifi connection and can even connect on my Virgin Media wifi access point which wasn't possible before! One happy camper. Thanks.

Beans

Hi!
    I'm having similar problem on EEE 1000 pc with RT2860 chipset. I tried what I found at the beginning of this thread, but it didn't work. Than I opened a thread:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1962857
    I got some help there, but still no luck. Could You have a look, and give me some advice?
    Thanks!

Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast