Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 10.04 using the Ralink RT2860 WiFi chipset (e.g. EeeBox B202)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 using the Ralink RT2860 WiFi chipset (e.g. EeeBox B202)

Quote Originally Posted by zarkrax View Post
    This didn't seem to work for me using 10.10

I first of all used the rt2800 module after blacklisting them all the rt2800 and rt2x00 modules I used the bundled rt2860sta module.

Then finally tried the module as per this thread.

The problem was always the same: kept asking for the password on the wpa/wpa2 personal connection.

nm-tool said the status was configuring.

In the end I had to use the NDIS Wrapper as per this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9289963

But as the OP said on that thread it can take up to three goes before it will connect.

I am running 10.10 64bit installed on windows through wubi.
    What about giving the live image of 10.10 Desktop Edition a try just to see whether WiFi works here. Maybe the wubi causes any problem? I never used wubi, so it is just an idea. Actually I would expect some problems installing Ubuntu in a Windows. I would always prefer to have a dual boot system with Ubuntu and Windows next to each other on separate partitions.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sven6210 View Post
    Actually it is not necessary to compile the driver each time you make a kernel update. It is enough to copy the once compiled kernel into the directory with the updated kernel. this is done with the command:

sudo cp rt2860sta.ko /lib/modules/2.6.*/kernel/drivers/staging/rt2860/

The command must be launched from the directory where the module is. But it is not necessary to recompile the kernel. Once done it is fine. So not such a big hassle any more.
    After an upgrade from 2.6.32-21 to 2.6.32-26 and execution of the above command I got this:
    Code:
    FATAL: Error inserting rt2860sta (/lib/modules/2.6.32-26-generic/kernel/drivers/staging/rt2860/rt2860sta.ko): Invalid module format

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by bourger View Post
    After an upgrade from 2.6.32-21 to 2.6.32-26 and execution of the above command I got this:
    Code:
    FATAL: Error inserting rt2860sta (/lib/modules/2.6.32-26-generic/kernel/drivers/staging/rt2860/rt2860sta.ko): Invalid module format
    If there are major changes in the kernel the WiFi module needs to be recompiled. Alternatively you can install a "backport" package making the old module usable with an updated kernel. I think there was a reference somewhere in this threat or from this threat to another threat, however as I never used it I do not know exactly where it was mentioned.

I just always recompile the WiFi module whenever there is a kernel update - these days there are not that often kernel updates (kernel updates are more frequent after the launch of a distro) and it does not take too long.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sven6210 View Post
    If there are major changes in the kernel the WiFi module needs to be recompiled. Alternatively you can install a "backport" package making the old module usable with an updated kernel. I think there was a reference somewhere in this threat or from this threat to another threat, however as I never used it I do not know exactly where it was mentioned.

I just always recompile the WiFi module whenever there is a kernel update - these days there are not that often kernel updates (kernel updates are more frequent after the launch of a distro) and it does not take too long.
    I had posted that I upgraded to Maverick from Lucid after using this method to install and use my wifi card which is based on a Ralink RT2860 chipset and it still worked without any modifications from me. It appears I was wrong, When looking into the matter it seems for some reason I was using the ndiswrapper and using Windows Wireless Drivers. Removing ndiswrapper made the card useless so I reinstalled Lucid (I can do this with no problems as my home folder is actually a seperate drive that I automount on startup as /home/chris, chris being my user name. I automount it by adding /dev/sbd1 /home/chris ext4 defaults 0 2 to /ext/fstab using sudo gedit /etc/fstab before I reboot after (re)installing Lucid. That way all of my files, settings, etc are never overwritten. I used these instruction once again to make the wifi card work. Not a problem, they are VERY good and simple instructions. When I used the update manager to update, It upgraded the kernal from 2.6.32-21 (my default on the boot disk) to 2.6.32-26. Copying the rt2860sta file to the proper place did not work. However, I simply had to follow the instructions to recompile it and it worked just like the first time. I am again going to try upgrading to Maverick and will update this post with what happens.

I have, since I posted this, updated again to Maverick using the update manger. I chose to not limit the upgrades to only LTS versions, thus I upgraded to 10.10 (Maverick). I only have the folder 2.6.35-22-generic in my /lib/modules folder and have not copied the rt2860sta.ko file to the folder nor have I recompiled it this time. It seems that upgrading to Maverick recognizes the RT2860 card. That may or may not be because I installed it the way this post showed the first time, and then upgraded, but I have not used any backports (that I know of) when upgrading.
    The fact that my home folder is on a seperate drive and is automounted may or may not be an issue. I am just passing on what I did to get my wifi card to work and that I am using it with Maverick Desktop Edition.

I am running a custom 64bit desktop PC using an Intel Motherboard with a Celeron 3.8ghz processor with 1GB RAM and a 120GB boot drive and a 500GB data drive.
    Last edited by Chrispy764; November 19th, 2010 at 04:59 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Hi everyone.

Firstly, thanks to everyone who contribute to this post. It's really helpful.

I can install 2.4 driver in my Medion Akoya Mini, successfully.

But, I doesn't seem to work after suspension!

This is my dmesg

Code:
    Nov 19 17:13:09 MAGGI kernel: [  766.397103] ERROR!!! NICInitializeAdapter failed, Status[=0x00000001]
    Nov 19 17:13:09 MAGGI kernel: [  766.397563] ERROR!!! H2M_MAILBOX still hold by MCU. command fail
    Nov 19 17:13:09 MAGGI kernel: [  766.414206] !!! rt28xx Initialized fail !!!
    Nov 19 17:13:11 MAGGI kernel: [  768.722229] EXT4-fs (sda3): re-mounted. Opts: errors=remount-ro,commit=600
    Nov 19 17:13:29 MAGGI kernel: [  786.259921] ERROR!!! BBP write R62 fail
    Nov 19 17:13:29 MAGGI kernel: [  786.260311] ERROR!!! BBP write R63 fail
    Nov 19 17:13:29 MAGGI kernel: [  786.260632] ERROR!!! BBP write R64 fail
    Nov 19 17:13:29 MAGGI kernel: [  786.260987] ERROR!!! BBP write R86 fail
    Nov 19 17:13:29 MAGGI kernel: [  786.261330] ERROR!!! BBP write R82 fail
    Nov 19 17:13:29 MAGGI kernel: [  786.261669] ERROR!!! BBP write R75 fail
    Nov 19 17:13:29 MAGGI kernel: [  786.262019] ERROR!!! BBP write R66 fail
    Nov 19 17:13:29 MAGGI kernel: [  786.263364] ERROR!!! BBP write R66 fail
    Nov 19 17:13:40 MAGGI kernel: [  798.136219] r8169 0000:01:00.0: eth2: link down
    Nov 19 17:13:40 MAGGI kernel: [  798.136951] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth2: link is not ready
    Can anybody give me any hint?

Thanks to all in advance!

^_Pepe_^

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Update!

I've tried to change Fix IP to DHCP, and it works! At least it's a workaround.

Rgds
    ^_Pepe_^
    [Edit: No luck. It's a matter of luck. Sometimes works, sometimes not]

Last edited by ^_Pepe_^; November 20th, 2010 at 03:57 PM.

Beans

First of all, thanks Sven for this instructions, they are very clear and helpful. However, they do not work for me and perhaps you can shed a little light on the matter.

In step 5, when I tried to execute to rmmod I got the message "ERROR: Module rt2860sta is in use". I went to the network applet and disabled the wireless network before proceeding, it seemed to work fine.

Then in step 7, after the modprobe, the wireless icon did not come to life by itself. When I tried to enable the wireless network manually, there was no such option in the menu.

I tried then to run "ifconfig wlan0 up" but got the message "wlan0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device"

I tried to follow the instructions to the end and reboot, but the problem remained. Then I reverted back to the previous driver and rebooted. Got back to the start, wireless connection working, only not with WEP.

My guess is that there's something preventing the new driver to go up, but I'm not sure where to look for clues of what might be causing it.

Any suggestions would be very welcome!

Thanks!

Andreas

Beans

Thank you . I have a linksys n pci card in a desktop running Mint 9 (64 bit). My connection is running at 130 Mb/s with a linksys n router with WPA encryption. A note that this "fix" did not work with wicd. Froze my machine and I had to power off to get it back. My network was changed from wlan0 to ra0 and works fine with network manager.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ^_Pepe_^ View Post
    Hi everyone.

Firstly, thanks to everyone who contribute to this post. It's really helpful.

I can install 2.4 driver in my Medion Akoya Mini, successfully.

But, I doesn't seem to work after suspension!

^_Pepe_^

Hi Pepe,

is your WiFi generally working after suspend? I am asking because I have had trouble with my EeePC 900a. Actually I was able to suspend the netbook, but when waking it up again it did not reconnect with the WiFi. The same happened when I switched WiFi off with the special key (e.g. during flight in order to save electricity) I was not able to reconnect to WiFi after switching it on again. I always had to restart the computer in order to be able to use WiFi again.

After some research I found a solution. By adding parameters to the kernel I can now suspend and use WiFi when waking the netbook up. I can also switch WiFi off and it automatically reconnects when I switch it on again.

Under http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1467749 you will find the manual what I had to do.

Maybe this helps you - but maybe your problem has a completely different background. Just an idea for you.

Good luck

Sven

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by aplath View Post
    First of all, thanks Sven for this instructions, they are very clear and helpful. However, they do not work for me and perhaps you can shed a little light on the matter.

In step 5, when I tried to execute to rmmod I got the message "ERROR: Module rt2860sta is in use". I went to the network applet and disabled the wireless network before proceeding, it seemed to work fine.

Then in step 7, after the modprobe, the wireless icon did not come to life by itself. When I tried to enable the wireless network manually, there was no such option in the menu.

I tried then to run "ifconfig wlan0 up" but got the message "wlan0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device"

I tried to follow the instructions to the end and reboot, but the problem remained. Then I reverted back to the previous driver and rebooted. Got back to the start, wireless connection working, only not with WEP.

My guess is that there's something preventing the new driver to go up, but I'm not sure where to look for clues of what might be causing it.

Any suggestions would be very welcome!

Thanks!

Andreas

Dear Andreas,

when receiving an error message when entering

Code:
    sudo rmmod rt2860sta
    please just ignore it and continue with step 6. It should not have any impact on the following steps. Do not disable or change anything with WiFi, just run the different steps in the manual.

I suggest you start again at the beginning and just run through the manual. If you are using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS it should not be a problem.

Good luck

Sven

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast