Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No voice in my videos

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: No voice in my videos

I'm having the same problem but only when I use headphones/earphones.will try the stereo thing.

Beans

You are right, with stereo I have the voice. But then I don't have all the loudspeakers anymore.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Ok so my first thought is that maybe you should try adjusting which connectors are plugged into which ports - even if you are dual-booting and have surround sound working in Windows perhaps the Linux driver could for some reason be setting your ports differently?

My second suggestion would be to check the settings of whatever video/audio player you are using and see what the sound settings are; maybe try changing the settings from like stereo/2.1 to like 4.1, 5.1, even 7.1 just to see what happens, to see if anything changes that might give you a clue to what is going on.

*edit: Also try all of this while playing a DVD with surround sound so that you know you have a legitimate surround sound source as many video files only contain two channel audio. Try using the DVD menu to specifically set the DVD to play 5.1 surround sound as well rather than just letting it choose what kind of surround sound to use.

Perhaps try another player and play around with its settings as well, I would recommend trying this in VLC because it generally has better support for surround sound than many other players from what I've read and seen. Unless I'm mistaken most Linux video players pretty much use the same backend as well whereas VLC has its own seperate backend. If this is in fact true and if I'm not just making that up then this could help you decide if it is a program settings issue or a broader Linux sound issue.

Lastly in a brief googling session I found these two sites that may or may not be able to help you if all else fails, I would be a little wary of them though because they both seem a little dated:

http://www.osgui.com/forums/ubuntu/5...io-system.html

http://ubuntulinuxhelp.com/the-simpl...ing-in-ubuntu/

I'm not sure I can be much more help on this one, hope you get things working, good luck! Please let me and others who may end up reading this forum know if you get it working, what the problem was and how to fix it.
    Last edited by Perturbed Penguin; June 20th, 2010 at 08:57 PM. Reason: clean up
    "Truth persuades by teaching, but does not teach by persuading." - Quintus Septimius Tertullianus

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

i'm using kubuntu. in kmplayer there's no option to change to stereo.

but i did hear the voice faintly and my card supports surround sound speakers so i guess the problem is that surround sound is being played over stereo.

it works properly through stereo speakers though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Yeah I don't know much about KDE, certainly not enough to troubleshoot it's audio issues. Sorry I can't really help much, I've been meaning to try openSUSE out again so I can get back into KDE a little bit but as of right now haven't touched KDE in years.
    "Truth persuades by teaching, but does not teach by persuading." - Quintus Septimius Tertullianus

Beans

wow! glad i found this thread!! thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12