Thread: How Do I resize Partition ?

Beans

How Do I resize Partition ?

Hi All

I have a dual boot system, windows 7 & Xubuntu Lucid and i have gparted installed. I need to resize my Windows 7 Partition by adding another 18gb by reducing my Xubuntu /home partiton by 18gb ...

How do i do this please ?

Many Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: How Do I resize Partition ?

You can't resize a mounted partition. The way around this is to boot from a LiveCD and use gparted from there.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by John Bean View Post
    You can't resize a mounted partition. The way around this is to boot from a LiveCD and use gparted from there.
    oh ok ... Thanks for that ...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Incidentally, if you think you may need to do this again it may be worth downloading a small LiveCD like Parted Magic which not only loads very quickly but has a host of useful tools including (of course) gparted. It's much faster than using a Ubuntu LiveCD and even has its own bootable USB creator to allow you to put it on a thumb drive.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by John Bean View Post
    Incidentally, if you think you may need to do this again it may be worth downloading a small LiveCD like Parted Magic which not only loads very quickly but has a host of useful tools including (of course) gparted. It's much faster than using a Ubuntu LiveCD and even has its own bootable USB creator to allow you to put it on a thumb drive.

I'm going to try that now .... CHEERS

Beans
    Hidden!

DO NOT use gparted to enlarge your windows 7 partition!!

Shrink the linux partition that way, with gparted, but then boot into win7 and use the disk management utility there to enlarge that partition.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

You may want to shrink your Linux partition with gparted and then expand your Win7 partition from Windows itself. Although, I do not currently have Win7, that would be safest.

I did play around with a Win7 laptop I bought for someone, and when temporarily installing Ubuntu 9.10 on it, I shrank the Win7 partition from its own administration tools, and then installed Linux on the freed up space. I was sure that I put grub on the Linux partition (and marked that as the boot partition), but after I removed the Linux partition and marked the Win7 partition as the boot partition, Win7 could not find something like boot.ldr. So I had to boot the Win7 CD (or DVD?) a couple of times to fix that. Then I expanded the partition from Win7 itself to fill the unallocated disk space.