Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: How To: Install Canon PIXMA MX870 drivers on i368 and 64bit ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How To: Install Canon PIXMA MX870 drivers on i368 and 64bit ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kamiller42 View Post
    The Michael Gruz PPA is really nice. I now have two MX870 drivers. Michael's is nice. I have tools to control the printer.

I cannot get my scanner to work. It used to work but I think a kernel update broke it. How can I get it working again? Should Michael's driver support scanning? If it does, is it conflicting with my old one?

When I run scanimage -T, I get the following...
    [pixma] bjnp_open_tcp: Can not connect to scanner: Connection refused
    scanimage: open of device pixma:MX870_000000EECC8F failed: Invalid argument

FYI, I am using Ubuntu 11.10 64-bit and the MX870 is networked.
    Linux treats scanners completely separately from printers, so the printer driver has no effect on the scanner.

Do you allow the printer to automatically get its IP address? If so, its address may have changed.

If you edited the /etc/sane.d/pixma.conf file to add the IP address, you will have to edit it again to put the new value in.

If your are trying to run scangear on a 64 bit system, that currently is broken (some have done some changes to their systems to make it work, you will have to read their posts as I have not done this myself).
    Things not working for me in Ubuntu64:
    Horizontal scrolling on my mouse. USB to Parallel port adaptors, HP 8200 scanner driver, floppy disks, FAX through network attached multi-function printer.

Beans

User friendly installation of canon drivers on i368 or 64bit ubuntu can be done easily by adding the folowing repository (I tested it for my mx870 on ubuntu 64bit by installing cnijfilter-mx870series for printing and scangearmp-mx870series for scanning, and it works like a charm):

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:michael-gruz/canon
    sudo apt-get update

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I just read over the last two pages of this thread and there wasn't anything yet on the setup under 12.04.

I'm trying to get my MX870 (which is networked via WiFi) working under 12.04 64-bit. Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Beans

If I'm not mistaken, you can install 32bits apps/drivers transparantly on 12.04 64bits.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The michael-gruz PPA does not seem to support 12.04 yet. When I try to update, I get this error message:
    Code:
    W:Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/michael-gruz/canon/ubuntu/dists/precise/main/source/Sources  404  Not Found
    , W:Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/michael-gruz/canon/ubuntu/dists/precise/main/binary-amd64/Packages  404  Not Found
    , W:Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/michael-gruz/canon/ubuntu/dists/precise/main/binary-i386/Packages  404  Not Found
    , E:Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
    Horizontal scrolling on my mouse. USB to Parallel port adaptors, HP 8200 scanner driver, floppy disks, FAX through network attached multi-function printer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by AKADAP View Post
    I can't get the scangear stuff to work since it wants the 32 bit stuff which currently can't coexist with the 64 bit stuff.
    From what I've read, this gets fixed in 3.1 of the kernel.
    I can confirm that scangear is now working under 12.04. Well, running at least, so far I've only done a scan preview, but before it wasn't even running.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi, since I have installed 12.04 LTS I can not print anymore with my MX870. Neither on USB nor via WiFi.
    I tried to reinstall the 64 driver as described which did work fine until 11.04.
    Now I get the error message :
    ==================================================

Canon Inkjet Printer Driver Ver.3.30-1 for Linux
    Copyright CANON INC. 2001-2010
    All Rights Reserved.

==================================================
    Command executed = sudo dpkg --force-architecture -iG ./packages/cnijfilter-common_3.30-1_i386.deb
    (Lese Datenbank ... 360993 Dateien und Verzeichnisse sind derzeit installiert.)
    Vorbereitung zum Ersetzen von cnijfilter-common:i386 3.30-1 (durch .../cnijfilter-common_3.30-1_i386.deb) ...
    Ersatz für cnijfilter-common:i386 wird entpackt ...
    dpkg: Abhängigkeitsprobleme verhindern Konfiguration von cnijfilter-common:i386:
    cnijfilter-common:i386 hängt ab von libpopt0 (>= 1.7).
    dpkg: Fehler beim Bearbeiten von cnijfilter-common:i386 (--install):
    Abhängigkeitsprobleme - verbleibt unkonfiguriert
    Trigger für libc-bin werden verarbeitet ...
    ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
    Fehler traten auf beim Bearbeiten von:
    cnijfilter-common:i386
    It seems ther is some dependency problem with libpopt0 ??

Anyone any idea ?

If I use CUPS for installation, I can sometime print one page but after that the next print job stops and does not start anymore ?

Thanks for your help !
    Ubuntu 10.10 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

So, I have my MX870 running as a WiFi networked printer in Precise 64-bit.

I was able to configure it by going to system settings -> printing -> add -> network printer -> find network printer where i searched for the MX870 after providing its IP address. (Note I am using Ubuntu in German, I hope I translated everything correctly.)

A driver for the MX870 is available in the list of available drivers. The driver was added just fine. Upon trying to print a test page, the printer was looking for paper from the rear tray only. But after changing the paper source setting from "Automatic Paper Source Switching" to "Cassette", it printed the test page as well as other print jobs just fine.

However, one problem remains. Printing is extremely slow. Every page takes about five times as long as it did in Lucid with the manually installed Canon driver.

Any suggestions for fixing the printing speed issue?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by dumdidum View Post
    Any suggestions for fixing the printing speed issue?
    not the answer you were looking for I'm sure, but my solution to the dreadful performance of my Canon MP530 under Precise is to ditch it in favor of an HP. the only way this printer is usable under Linux is by booting Lucid, where its performance has never been very good. I've got one set of ink cartridges to go and once I've gone through that, I'm done with Canon printers forever.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ray field View Post
    not the answer you were looking for I'm sure, but my solution to the dreadful performance of my Canon MP530 under Precise is to ditch it in favor of an HP. the only way this printer is usable under Linux is by booting Lucid, where its performance has never been very good. I've got one set of ink cartridges to go and once I've gone through that, I'm done with Canon printers forever.
    I'm using the turboprint drivers, and not noticing a slowdown under 12.04. I havn't tried the other drivers since I upgraded though.

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast