Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NO sound , NO device , Dummy output stereo

Dummy Output

I lost the sound output when I was working with Ubuntu 9.10 (the volume applet showed "Dummy Output"), and I thought upgrading to Ubuntu 10.04 might help, but today I've done the upgrade and no instant result about audio matter.

Running aplay -l in a terminal this is my result:
    **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: AudioPCI [Ensoniq AudioPCI], device 0: ES1371/1 [ES1371 DAC2/ADC]
    Subdevices: 1/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 0: AudioPCI [Ensoniq AudioPCI], device 1: ES1371/2 [ES1371 DAC1]
    Subdevices: 1/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    And then I've clicked on the volume indicator, selected Sound Preferences, and gone to the Hardware tab. Where I see "Internal audio" in the devices list, I've selected the first "Internal audio" and choosen "Analog Stereo Output" in the dropdown, and then I've choosen the second "Internal audio" and choosen "Analog Stereo Input".

Since this moment the volume applet indicates the output level, and all the programs reproduce audio again.
    Narcis Garcia

Beans

Re: NO sound , NO device , Dummy output stereo

I installed Ubuntu 10.04 on a new Dell Inspiron N4010 laptop. From the beginning, my output sound worked perfectly, as did my built-in webcam. However, input sound did not work. I made a few changes and eventually got the built-in mic working as well. I used it with Skype. Now, after installing a number of recommended and security updates, neither the input nor the output sound is working. The icon shows no volume, although the sound preferences show full unmuted volume. The strangest part is that, when trying to Skype with friends this morning, they could hear the music that should have been playing on my computer! What is going on??

Here are the results of the requested tests:

michelle@michelle-laptop:~$ uname -a
    Linux michelle-laptop 2.6.32-24-generic #43-Ubuntu SMP Thu Sep 16 14:17:33 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux
    michelle@michelle-laptop:~$ aplay -l
    aplay: device_list:223: no soundcards found...
    michelle@michelle-laptop:~$ cat /proc/asound/version
    Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.23.
    Compiled on Sep 3 2010 for kernel 2.6.32-24-generic (SMP).
    michelle@michelle-laptop:~$ head -n 1 /proc/asound/card*/codec#*
    head: cannot open `/proc/asound/card*/codec#*' for reading: No such file or directory

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Quote Originally Posted by mmort View Post
    I installed Ubuntu 10.04 on a new Dell Inspiron N4010 laptop. From the beginning, my output sound worked perfectly, as did my built-in webcam. However, input sound did not work. I made a few changes and eventually got the built-in mic working as well. I used it with Skype. Now, after installing a number of recommended and security updates, neither the input nor the output sound is working. The icon shows no volume, although the sound preferences show full unmuted volume. The strangest part is that, when trying to Skype with friends this morning, they could hear the music that should have been playing on my computer! What is going on??

Here are the results of the requested tests:

michelle@michelle-laptop:~$ uname -a
    Linux michelle-laptop 2.6.32-24-generic #43-Ubuntu SMP Thu Sep 16 14:17:33 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux
    michelle@michelle-laptop:~$ aplay -l
    aplay: device_list:223: no soundcards found...
    michelle@michelle-laptop:~$ cat /proc/asound/version
    Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.23.
    Compiled on Sep 3 2010 for kernel 2.6.32-24-generic (SMP).
    michelle@michelle-laptop:~$ head -n 1 /proc/asound/card*/codec#*
    head: cannot open `/proc/asound/card*/codec#*' for reading: No such file or directory
    Try this. First remove pulse config files:
    Using a Terminal="Applications->Accessories->Terminal"
    Code:
    rm -r ~/.pulse ~/.asound* 
    sudo rm /etc/asound.conf
    Now re-install alsa:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils gdm ubuntu-desktop
    Reboot.
    *gdm and ubuntu-desktop usually get taken out in the process, so we add them back*

Beans

Thanks a lot! I tried the first step, but got the response "no such file or directory."

I search in file system for files containing "asound" or "pulseaudio" and got many results. I'm not sure which ones to delete. (In particular, there are two asound.conf files, _jack and _oss.) There are pulseaudio files in a number of folders, including /etc, /usr, and /var/lib. The first two also contain asound files.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks a lot! I tried the first step, but got the response "no such file or directory."

I search in file system for files containing "asound" or "pulseaudio" and got many results. I'm not sure which ones to delete. (In particular, there are two asound.conf files, _jack and _oss.) There are pulseaudio files in a number of folders, including /etc, /usr, and /var/lib. The first two also contain asound files.
    No, don't remove anything else. That first command did the necessary removal. "no such file or directory." means you don't have those files - and most don't. Did you re-install alsa?
    Last edited by lidex; September 19th, 2010 at 10:53 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lidex View Post
    No, don't remove anything else. That first command did the necessary removal. "no such file or directory." means you don't have those files - and most don't. Did you re-install alsa?
    I just did, and nothing changed. There is still no sound, no input listed, and only dummy stereo output.

mmort, could you copy and show the result of:
    Code:
    lspci
    in a terminal?
    Narcis Garcia

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by narcisgarcia View Post
    mmort, could you copy and show the result of:
    Code:
    lspci
    in a terminal?
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor DRAM Controller (rev 12)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 12)
    00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset HECI Controller (rev 06)
    00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller (rev 06)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio (rev 06)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev 06)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev 06)
    00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 6 (rev 06)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller (rev 06)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev a6)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 5 Series Chipset LPC Interface Controller (rev 06)
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset 6 port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 06)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset SMBus Controller (rev 06)
    00:1f.6 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Thermal Subsystem (rev 06)
    03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation Device 4727 (rev 01)
    04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications AR8152 v1.1 Fast Ethernet (rev c1)
    ff:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QuickPath Architecture Generic Non-core Registers (rev 02)
    ff:00.1 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QuickPath Architecture System Address Decoder (rev 02)
    ff:02.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QPI Link 0 (rev 02)
    ff:02.1 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QPI Physical 0 (rev 02)
    ff:02.2 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor Reserved (rev 02)
    ff:02.3 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor Reserved (rev 02)

Beans
    Distro

I just did, and nothing changed. There is still no sound, no input listed, and only dummy stereo output.
    You rebooted, correct?
    Try removing pulse-cookie:
    Code:
    rm -r ~/.pulse-cookie

Are you hearing sound if you boot from Live-CD (Ubuntu 10.04) ?
    Narcis Garcia

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast