Thread: Ubuntu release party & etc.

Beans

Ubuntu release party & etc.

Hi.

A tentative date has been scheduled for May 29, 2010 for the Ubuntu release party & meet-up and install-fest. This is a statewide meet-up as well for those who want to join. Why a release party so late ... if your like me, I haven't had time to install 10.04 yet.

Currently were looking at the Salina Public Library The time is tentatively set from 10:00 - 4:00, come and go as you wish. The time is set to allow people from area's in the Kansas Loco to make the event based on travel distance in Kansas.

http://www.salpublib.org/index.php?o...d=38&Itemid=58

We'd like to use the first hour (~10:00-10:30)for setup/introductions, 12:00-1:00 bag lunch or potluck, 1:00- 2:00 as the release party/install-fest (relaxed social hour), 11:00-12:00 and 2:30/3:00-4:00 for speaking and training events for those who want to do instruction, demo's, etc. The core of the release party will be between 1:00 - 2:30. I'll try to get a pdf poster of the event when everything is confirmed, however if anybody is good with graphics/design and want's to try this on their own, it's all be happy. Posters have to be posted I'm going to try to have a few party favors as well.

Upon confirmation of details, date, time, place, and event proceedings I'll be calling and traveling the state in promotion.

There are some things I'd like help with. In particular, advertising the event. I've found that most cable companies in rural area's will allow not-for-profit groups to advertise on their bulletin board at no cost. Some newspapers have a section for not-for-profit events, and many rural towns have bulletin boards in their business. Having someone local who can do the legwork contacting their local advertising outlets helps.

We also need a RSVP for a head count so we can plan for room size. We'd hate to get a room for 16 and have 30 people show. We also need confirmations so we can plan, date confirmations, if you'd like to teach/speak confirmations and course material, etc.

We'd like to the room and times selected to have everything set before Sunday, May 8, 2010 for forum announcements pdf advertisements, etc. Most newspapers want community advertisements in by Monday. That would give a three weeks notice and planning.

If you know of an area where you can help, post to the mailing list.

And last but not least, I've often found it takes several years for a particular group to gain momentum and sometimes that can discourage speakers and attendee's. However if you have a passion for linux for ubuntu, and open source I'd encourage you to show. It's a great place to network and meet others who are like minded.

If there are any preferences on time/date/place now is the time to voice your opinion.

Have we missed anything?

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Ubuntu release party & etc.

How about Wichita Public Library?

a) Wichita has bigger population so more people would be interested.

b) I know of a datacenter in town that may be able to sponsor it.

c) Free Wi-Fi if we book a few weeks ahead of time.

d) If we find out we can't do it at the library, there are millions of places we can do it at in town.

e) All major highways/interstates get down here (except 70, but that eventually drops down to 135)

All in all, it just sounds better.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu release party & etc.

The current release party, mini technology conference for Salina is well under way. It's a little under 2.5 hours from each north/south border. While I do realize this somewhat creates a longer drive for those in the corner, but I understand they are working with their neighbors in bordering states.

Cities with higher populations are able to hold meetings with a larger turnout. Kansas City already has held one themselves. It helps those of who are rural to have a location for which we not driving 4 hours to (hotel room, meals, gasoline, etc.) I suppose this is why the decision to use Salina came up.

Currently we have the room reserved, and at least two tentatively speaking members. I'm sure there will be others as well.

Wichita is a great location, but not centrally located. However having one in Wichita would be a great idea! I'd encourage the local Wichita community to get together and host one.

It was suggested by an individual recently that loco's should not be confined to a specific geographical location rather be allowed to grow and then break into communities from there. I'd agree with this statement, as I think a loco is only as strong as it's members. Growing a loco locally is in fact what loco's are all about.

Kansas Loco has been struggling for some time. This is an opportunity to encourage it's growth. If it encourages other the growth of micro-loco's within the state, then it's working

If you can attend, it'd be great to see you. I'd be willing to attend in Wichita as well.

Dale
    Last edited by drbeams; May 8th, 2010 at 05:37 AM. Reason: addition

Beans

Hi all.

The date has been set, room reserved, and times set (tentatively). The information is as follows:

May 29, 2010, 10:00 - 4:00, Salina Public Library, Prescott Room, 301 West Elm Street, Salina, Kansas.

There will be a 15 minute setup time at 10:00, following a presentation of Handbrake, Avidemux, and Audacity on Ubuntu and mix tracs at 10:15. Currently there is a speaking slots open at 11:15 and one at 3:00. We could use your help in filling them. If you like to share your knowledge, feel free to volunteer.

The release party begins at 1:00 and lasts until about 3:00, depending on what needs to be covered, and how many installs need to be made.

Some ideas currently on the being discussed are Hugin, Scribus, VirtualBox, Gimp and others.

The time is set, but the speaking times may move. I'll have a poster complete you can post around your own city on Wednesday.

Drop a note on the forum with your ideas.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

For those who aren't on the KCLUG list, a launch party was held in Kansas City at the CCCKC in concert with the KCLUG, IIRC. It may do well to try to enlist the help of both of those organizations to spread the LoCo for both Kansas and Missouri. Both orgs have involvement from both sides of the state line.

http://blog.cowtowncomputercongress.org/
    http://kclug.org/
    Last edited by jdp; May 20th, 2010 at 09:31 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Good luck on the installfest!
    Mythbuntu rocks!

Beans

The final pdf for the Ubuntu release party can be found here

http://www.ncklug.org/kanloco.pdf

I've stuck a logo in the upper left hand corner (minus the penguin). It really should be a svg, but haven't had time to complete that yet. Any volunteers to convert the sunflower into a svg?

Speaker slots are filled, but if you'd like to speak there would be time before 10:00 or after 4:00 to drop you in. Moreover, as life goes, should a speaker not make it, it's always good to have a backup.

See you there if you can make it that weekend. If you can spread the word in your local community either by public tv add, radio ad, newspaper, or poster, let us know.

Thanks, Dale
    Attached Images Attached Images