Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cannot change screen brightness with 10.4

Beans

Re: Cannot change screen brightness with 10.4

Same problem here, pressing keys pops up indicator but doesn't change brightness.
    Same video driver but different card mine is a GeForce 310M.
    Laptop is a Dell Vostro 3500.
    Hope will find a solution soon.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I have the same problem with the brightness applet not allowing me to increase or decrease the brightness of my screen. HOWEVER, if I use the Gnome Power Mangement applet (Perference -> Power Management) I can change the brightness of the screen, for both on AC and on Battery Power, by using the sliders in the power management applet.

I hope this helps resolve this problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm having the same problem. [fn]+[f5] puts the computer to sleep as it is supposed to but [fn]+[f7] and [fn]+[f8] are supposed to adjust the screen brightness down and up respectively. But they do nothing.

Beans

Got the same problem.

Franseco's patch gave me a brightness bar ut still nothing happens while the bar slides. When I go to powermanager and slide the bar there nothing happens.

Still looking for a solution...

Beans

Hello there

I recently installed Ubuntu 10.04 dual boot with Windows 7.
    I also found it very annoying that I couldn't change the screen brightness on my laptop using the Fn+F6 and F7 keys. Messing around with Ubuntu for a bit (and I'm quite proud of myself since I'm a total Linux n00b) I found that it was my graphics driver that was messing it up.

I don't know the actual solution to activate the nVidia driver and still manage to change the screen brightness, but if the screen brightness is really grinding your gears just remove your driver and restart your laptop. If anything at least your eyeballs won't be hurting.

*I just finished reading that someone else who practically said the same thing lol. From what I'm going with, I'll just stick to 3D rendering with Windows 7 until the driver gets fixed.*

If someone finds a way to fix this let me know!
    TIA
    Last edited by xshadowspherex; May 15th, 2010 at 09:07 PM. Reason: More information

Beans

Found a temp workaround online...
    Change the brightness using the function keys at the grub menu.
    Works for me, not ideal but better than not at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I know that it's not related to the nVidia drivers on my eee pc (its intel!) but I have the brightness applet on the pannel as my Fn keys don't work. (right click on panel, add to panel... and select screen brightness applet.)
    Nothing on EEE PC 1000!
    Win 7 Home Premium on 15.6 inch Toshiba Satellite C660-X11
    Linux hopefully making a return soon...
    www.landymann.co.uk

Beans

I had the same issue, in my case it turned out to be something extremely basic:

Whenever I clicked on the brightness icon it would close, and the only way to return the brightness to normal after hibernating (when the brightness went down permanently) was through Power Management.
    So I clicked on it again (the icon) and this time I scrolled through the mouse wheel, and that's how it changes.

Beans

I have a Vostro 3500 as well and I just found out there is an option in "NVIDIA X Server Settings" dialog. Go to "X Screen 0" > "X Server Color Correction" and adjust brightness on the fly (don't forget to confirm your change at the bottom).

That's no quite a perfect solution, but still a bit more convenient than grub workaround

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I have a Dell Studio with ATI 5470 card i have no issues in adjusting screen brightness with function keys but ,
    The power management option in System->Administration is very bad.
    It does not remember the settings , every time the screen brightness will be reset to high when i log in

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast