Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Adobe Flash Player in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

Beans

Re: Adobe Flash Player in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

Thanks so much. Disable hardware acceleration did the trick. For full screen. Although it does run better in small mode with acceleration.

It'd be nice if Flash had a screen mode conditional option.
    Last edited by oh4real; May 29th, 2010 at 02:24 PM.

Beans

I've fixed this accidentally while trying to put blender3d working correctly with my ATI X1600, and Flash started to work correctly after that:

edit /etc/default/grub and change GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX= "" to "nomodeset"
    sudo upgrade-grub

after reboot everything worked like a charm!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Secrop View Post
    I've fixed this accidentally while trying to put blender3d working correctly with my ATI X1600, and Flash started to work correctly after that:

edit /etc/default/grub and change GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX= "" to "nomodeset"
    sudo upgrade-grub

after reboot everything worked like a charm!
    figured it out. Flash still lagging for me tho. Very high cpu.
    Last edited by ram130; August 6th, 2010 at 11:52 PM.

Beans

I play the flash files with vlc. Go to your filesystem to the /tmp directory. If you clicked the play button it will have a file named FLASHXX5IOAkY, or something similar. You can pause the in-browser video. Right click on that file, click open with... and select a media player of your choice. Make sure it's compatible with flash files. It will play as far as the video has downloaded in the browser.
    This may not fix the video-player in-browser, and watching videos this method take a little extra time, but you can also save the files from the /tmp directory. This only works with flash video, and only with media players compatible with flash (.flv)

Beans

This has been affecting me off-and-on for a year or so, the problem seems to change with every upgrade or distro change.

I have an HTPC that pushes a 46" LCD, what I see most often is that after about 5 minutes or so, sometimes up to 20 minutes, Flash video will slow down to about 1 frame every 5 seconds. The sound "usually" keeps playing just fine, and it seems to be a problem with extremely high CPU usage from the Flash player.

Although i haven't been able to solve the problem, I HAVE been able to work around it to an extent. Since high CPU usage is at fault, I tried out a couple of LXDE-based distros to give Flash more CPU to work with. For the most part, it works and Flash plays a lot smoother while still hogging all the CPU in the world.

On the other hand, I love Gnome. Yesterday I switched back to Ubuntu(64bit) from the Mint-LXDE(32bit) I'd been using for months and after about 20 minutes into the Colbert Report the video started locking up again. Top reports the browser AND Flash eating every bit of CPU in sight, so now I'm back on the lets-fix-this bandwagon.

I'll be working on it a little tonight and I'll report back with anything I find. One thing to note is that I took the lazy route and installed ubuntu-restricted-extras to pull in Flash support, so the first thing I'm going to do is try different versions of Flash from different sources.

==Dave

I had the same problem with fedora and my fix was to install opera.

For some reason Opera web browser plays the flash videos much better.
    Another thing you can do just ctrl and + to enlarge the flash video to the point where it's still running smooth.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I guess I'm lucky since flash takes up 50% on mine playing normally but when I go 1080p it eats up 80% and full screen 98%..in windows, it eats up 40% in full screen..I have a core 2 duo with ATI graphics. Anyways Good luck.

Beans

I did a lot of reading and a lot more experimenting last night, but I've found a couple of reasonable solutions for Flash performance problems.

First of all, Flash 10.2 is available via ppa: http://www.webupd8.org/2010/09/adobe...102-64bit.html

If any one thing I tried last night worked for me, it was this newever version of the 64-bit flash plugin. It didn't come without it's drawbacks though, my screen stopped locking up randomly while watching fullscreen flash, but the video quality was noticably reduced. With 10.1, I had silky-smooth video that would freeze my computer every 5 to 10 minutes and then continue being silky-smooth again. With 10.2, I notice a bit of choppiness with the video but it will no longer freeze and is thus far more tolerable.

Something else to note is the ability of Flash to use the GPU for SOME of it's workload. From what I've read, it's only using the GPU to scale the video from windowed to fullscreen (i.e. from 800x600 to 1280x1024). It doesn't help the decoding process. Furthermore, there is a strict set or criteria that OpenGL has to meet before the Flash plugin will even allow the GPU to be used. Big-ticket items that will disable GPU accelleration are Compiz and open-source drivers like Nuovaeu and the excellent ATI driver. Flash literally checks to see if open drivers are in use and disables use of the GPU, but luckily there's also a way to override flash's GPU validation that can be read about here: http://blogs.adobe.com/penguinswf/20...fg_file_1.html

The last thing I will say for now, since I'm pressed for time on my lunch break, is that a large part of my problem was also the result of my CPU overheating while watching Flash video. Clean up your heatsink and think about installing an exaust fan on the back of your desk if you have your computer tower shoved in a hole (desk, entertainment center, etc.).

I'm sure I've forgotten something, but I'll update this as I remember more.

==Dave

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Smile Re: Adobe Flash Player in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

Hey guys I had the same problems 3-4 years ago I now after installing all my plugins flash included I copy the contents of usr/lib/mozilla plugins folder to each of my browser plugins folder in probably usr/lib and sometimes usr/share and even opt and have never had a flash issue since and this is with all the distros I use.
    Life is hard but fair it's the people u gotta worry about.
    AthlonIIx4 3gigs nvidia 9400gt 1gig
    750 & 500 gig HDD SD card reader 2 cdrw/dvdrw wireless. 23inch hp 2310m.
    Laptop HP G61 15.6 3gig ram.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you continue to struggle for answers to Flash issues with a browser, search for posts and responses from user LovingLinux. He has helped literally hundreds of people with issues and can probably steer you in the right direction by following the threads where he has walked people from problem to solution. He also has links in his signature for various assistance steps as well.

Firefox optimization thread including Flash Optimization:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ighlight=flash
    Last edited by TBABill; October 7th, 2010 at 04:20 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast