Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 10.04 freezes / locks up when using hard drive

Beans

Question Ubuntu 10.04 freezes / locks up when using hard drive

Hi all,

I've just installed 10.04 as a dual boot with Windows 7. I did a clean install removing my old 9.10 install.

I really like all the changes I've seen so far and everything seems to work smoothly except when the HD is being used a lot everything freezes and then un-freezes again and again until the file operation has stopped.

The problem really only comes up with heavy operations like moving large files (I moved a 10gb vdi from my Windows partition to Ubuntu) and when backintime does it's daily backup. Sometimes I can continue using it then it'll freeze I wait.. can use it again for a bit then it will freeze again.

Any ideas on this? I've never had problems with transferring large files on the Windows 7 install so I don't think there's a hardware problem. I can't seem to find anything I've been searching for two days now. I did find something about a problem with backintime/ext4 partitions but the solution hasn't helped.

I would really appreciate any help as I prefer working on Ubuntu but it's a bit difficult at the moment..

Beans

Angry Re: Ubuntu 10.04 freezes / locks up when using hard drive

Same thing here, i use windows 7 and install 10.04 after used 9.10 same issues ubuntu freezes when move large files or download packages from the net.

I hope somebody could answer

Regards

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 freezes / locks up when using hard drive

Same here it is very annoying (I dont care for grub2 also)

Beans

Hi everybody,

I too am new to Ubuntu.
    I did a fresh install of Lucid Lynx on an old Sony Vaio laptop after replacing its hard drive.
    It went fine and instaled properly.
    However, when updating the system, it tends to freeze, forcing me to a hard reboot, while installing new packages. Generaly it does that after working properly for five minutes.
    I suspected a hardware problem so i replaced the hard drive. That improved matters and now the system only freezes after about fifteen minutes. But it still freezes though!
    The laptop has a P4 processor (1.6Ghz) and 512 Mb of RAM so it is normaly within the minimum required to install Ubuntu 10.04.
    I would really like to fix this in order to use this new OS fully.
    Does anybody have any idea or tips to do so?

Thanks a lot in advance.
    Rgds,

Sallah Adim from Altaïr

Beans

Same case here. When i'm using ubuntu it freezes when updating the system.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Please go through this link. It is helpful.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...t=lucid+freeze
    GeForce NX7600GT|Asus P5B |Intel Core Duo E6300 1.86 GHz|2 x 512mb RAM DDR2|
    750gb SATA HDD|320gb SATA HDD|2# 160 gb SATA HDD|MSI DVD/Rom+-RW|
    SyncMaster P2450|Dual boot|Lucid & Windows XP Sp2|

Beans

i dont know whether it is related to hard drive.
    my ubuntu just freezes, not even a mouse move. i am having to restart it. this is when we go into the GNOME mode. this does not happen in the failsafe mode...
    im aware working in failsafe mode is not advisable.

please help

thanks
    raja

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thumbs up Re: Ubuntu 10.04 freezes / locks up when using hard drive

Hi, my Ubuntu 10.04 also freezes, but during periods of inactivity, I'm not sure after how long, sometimes 2h, sometimes not. The screen is dark, it doesn't react to ctrl+alt+del or the Num key... only a hard reboot does it. The same machine worked well with 9.10. I don't know yet were to look at to troubleshoot, any hint would be appreciated.
    Thanks, Guillaume
    ==
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.20Ghz
    1GB of DDR400 RAM Supertalent
    Zotac Nvidia GeForce 8500GT 512MB video card

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by My_web View Post
    Hi all,

I've just installed 10.04 as a dual boot with Windows 7. I did a clean install removing my old 9.10 install.

I really like all the changes I've seen so far and everything seems to work smoothly except when the HD is being used a lot everything freezes and then un-freezes again and again until the file operation has stopped.

The problem really only comes up with heavy operations like moving large files (I moved a 10gb vdi from my Windows partition to Ubuntu) and when backintime does it's daily backup. Sometimes I can continue using it then it'll freeze I wait.. can use it again for a bit then it will freeze again.

Any ideas on this? I've never had problems with transferring large files on the Windows 7 install so I don't think there's a hardware problem. I can't seem to find anything I've been searching for two days now. I did find something about a problem with backintime/ext4 partitions but the solution hasn't helped.

I would really appreciate any help as I prefer working on Ubuntu but it's a bit difficult at the moment..
    HELP! Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid) Freezing and hanging for several seconds when I click on a page, file, etc., both on-line and off-line.
    Running Nvidia graphics card on a Dell M6400 Precision Workstation. This is driving me crazy! What to do? Would be deeply grateful for help. bigjeff1002@yahoo.com.

Beans

ubuntu freezing & hanging

Quote Originally Posted by bigjeff1002 View Post
    help! ubuntu 10.04 (lucid) freezing and hanging for several seconds when i click on a page, file, etc., both on-line and off-line.
    Running nvidia graphics card on a dell m6400 precision workstation. This is driving me crazy! What to do? Would be deeply grateful for any help and welcome responses directly to my email. . bigjeff1002@yahoo.com.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast